PDA

View Full Version : New Turner Seeking Advice

Jacob Reverb
05-14-2011, 8:00 AM
Hello, all,

I have only used a lathe once, about 20 years ago when my Dad was still around, and really enjoyed it. I remember my Dad, who was a lifelong woodworker, saying not long before he passed away that the more turning he did, the more he loved using the lathe.

In doing my daily rounds at Craigslist, I saw what I believe to be a twin of Dad's old lathe (now long gone), a Delta Rockwell 46-111, on a stand with 1/3 hp motor and two sets of gouges for $175 so I bought it.

Now I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. I seem to recall Dad's lathe had a switch that had 3 positions - fwd, rev and off. Am I misremembering this? Is there any reason to reverse a wood lathe, possibly for sanding the "whiskers" off of bowls or something? Is the reversing switch worth getting? This machine just has the on-off switch, but the motor has a label showing how to reverse-wire it.

2. Is there anything I need to "true" or "tune up" or "check" before using it (i.e., like making sure a table saw blade is parallel to the miter gauge slots and the fence)?

3. Can anyone recommend any good books or online resources that I could read to learn about turning? My main interests would be in making large turnings (as for a pedestal table) and maybe turning segmented bowls down the road.

[Speaking of segmented bowls...I'll never forget visiting Dad once, and there were all these smashed husks of fluorescent tubes around his lathe...I asked him what happened and he said a bowl glueup fragged in the lathe :eek: and shrapnel hit the light fixture :rolleyes: plunging him into darkness but he didn't dare move as the glass rained around his ears :cool: because he had a big slick in his hands! I laugh every time I remember that story...]

Thanks in advance for any clues or help. I can't wait to start turning stuff!

Jacob.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2011, 8:44 AM
Jacob,

Welcome back to the Vortex! Turning is one facet of woodworking that is the closest thing to instant gratification IMHO.

To answer your questions:

1. The only reason I use reverse is for sanding as your suggested. You will have to determine if it's worth it.

2. Things to check on the lathe:
a. check that the points on your drive center and live centers align perfectly or awfully close to it when your tailstock is locked down.

3. A book that I like is " Woodturning: A Foundation Course New Edition)" by Keith Rowley. It's an excellent source of information aimed at the beginner, is well illustrated and has a progression of projects to educate the beginning turner.

Be safe and enjoy the ride!

John Keeton
05-14-2011, 8:44 AM
Jacob, welcome to the vortex! I can't offer much help on that lathe as I am unfamiliar with it. But, generally, you would want to assure the tailstock center and the drive center are aligned vertically and horizontally. Reverse is used to sand as you indicate, but if you end up using a chuck at some point, you may want to assure the chuck has a grub screw, with a cushion pad (or piece of lead shot) tightened against the spindle threads to prevent it backing off on you.

The 1/3 horsepower is going to be quite limiting for you. It may do OK for light spindle work, but I doubt it would be sufficient for large pedestal work, nor segmented pieces of any size.

There is a ton of information online available to you - some good, some not so good, but I am not aware specifically of anything related to large spindle work. I don't do segmented work, so I have not checked into that - not much help there.

Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing some of your first projects.

Baxter Smith
05-14-2011, 9:59 AM
Welcome Jacob! Enjoy using your lathe! You can do a lot with it though large items may be a challenge because of the limited horsepower and lack of mass in the lathe itself. You will need a drum switch for reversing your lathe.

Lee Koepke
05-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Welcome!

Another thing that I have found helpful is either taking a class (woodcrafters for example) and/or finding a local woodturners club and go to one of their meetings. I can tell you from experience, wood turners, in general, are VERY helpful and very excited about sharing/helping new turners. My very first meeting at our local club, I came home with a chunk of beautiful walnut that was in a guys truck and 3 offers to share shop time and learn some tricks of the trade.

Make sure you do study up on the safety part, even though the lathe seems 'safe', you have lots of opportunity for surprises. and most of all .... HAVE FUN!

phil harold
05-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Many many moons ago I had a lathe that had reverse direction to be used for outboard turning

bob svoboda
05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Great advice so far. I will second the opinion to pick up Rowley's book. Nice to have you on board and will look forward to see your turnings.

Steve Schlumpf
05-14-2011, 2:21 PM
Jacob - Welcome to the turning side of the Creek!

In addition to spindle alignment - I also suggest getting with your local turning club! The members there will be able to help you with any questions you have and also give you some valuable hands-on training!

Have fun turning! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

Oh, forgot, when I started turning I used an old Craftsman Mono-Tube lathe and one of the first things I did was wire in a double pole/double throw (DPDT) light switch so I could change the direction of the motor. Makes a huge difference when final sanding!

Jacob Reverb
05-14-2011, 7:42 PM
Thank you all for your replies. It looks like the points on my drive center and live center are dead on left/right and maybe 1/64" off vertically. I don't remember what size motor my Dad had on his machine...maybe I'll try to scrounge up a 1 hp motor for it. Will also check out the Rowley book, Ken.

Thanks again. I'll probably be pestering you all some more before I'm done....

Jacob Reverb
05-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks again for all the help. Over the weekend I scrounged some red (swamp) maple from a clearcut and made some cylindrical "blanks" so I have something to make a mess of when I have enough knowledge to be a menace...in the meantime I got some books from the library, and I'm going to order that book you recommended, Ken.

Just for posterity's sake, and for those who follow, I thought I'd update the board on my lathe and what I plan. Here's a pic of one just like mine, but it looks like its owner powered it with a larger motor, as well as a jackshaft arrangement to lower the lowest speed:

http://estrategy.net/bill/website/tools/restorations/lathe1.jpg

That's what I'm going to do with mine. I'm going from 1/3 hp up to 1 hp and, through the jackshaft (assuming my calculations are correct) I will have speeds of:

374 rpm
557 rpm
839 rpm
990 rpm
1228 rpm
1475 rpm
2220 rpm
3250 rpm

I will try to keep the forum posted on the progress of this odyssey (or will make another thread with an appropriate title for future reference)...thanks again.

Jacob.