PDA

View Full Version : A Real Bonker

mickey cassiba
05-14-2011, 5:06 AM
I've been playing around...but this time I set out to make something I needed. A bonker, or more accurately, a mallet. This one was planned, and executed according to plan. As I move toward the Neander style of wood working, I decided to make a classic mallet. I designed this one with weight and comfort in mind. It is 16 ounces of red oak. This one is sanded to 320...and finished with canned shellac. I do not expect the finish to last, as this was designed as a user. The fit to my hand is perfect. 194561 This is my first(of many to come) shop made wood working tools.
The unusual shape of the handle comes from the weigh-in. I had to take a little off to get my exact 1 pound spec. Turned between centers. Might not look like much to you 'arteest' guys, but I'm proud of it. I have to give credit to Steve S.(who introduced me to the term 'bonker') and all the rest of you all here in the spinny side.
Thinking about a big brass hob nail for the end of the handle.(the parting did not go as planned). Turning wood is so different from turning steel...
C&C please

Tim Thiebaut
05-14-2011, 6:53 AM
Looks good Mickey, this should last you for many years to come and give you many hours of bonking pleasure! And good job hitting the weight limit you set for yourself as well. They sure are handy to have around the shop,

Roger Chandler
05-14-2011, 7:40 AM
pretty nice bonker, Mickey..............that ought to make those chisels move! :D

John Keeton
05-14-2011, 7:42 AM
Nice work, Mickey! Shellac actually makes a nice finish for handles IMO - relatively durable, and renewable, too. I realize this one will get banged up when used, but the handle portion should develop a nice patina from the shellac and use. One thing you might try is using shellac while on the lathe. Use a little BLO on a paper shop towel for lubrication, and wet it with dewaxed shellac. Put on a good coat and spin it relatively fast while buffing in the shellac. Quick, and leaves a nice finish.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-14-2011, 8:05 AM
Mickey....nice first Bonker! I use my first bonker to start my drive center into my blanks. It's easy on the drive center.

Baxter Smith
05-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice bonker Mickey! It may become the most usefull thing you ever make on your lathe!:)

Lee Koepke
05-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I keep my first bonker in my truck ..... its pretty close to what you made. You never know when I may need a 'mallet' around town!

mickey cassiba
05-14-2011, 12:36 PM
'fraid I won't get to use it. Charlotte has claimed it(says it fits her hand perfectly). Hope I don't become the 'bonkee':eek:

bob svoboda
05-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Nice bonker. Should have made a 'nerf' bonker for Charlotte thought IMO.

Steve Schlumpf
05-14-2011, 2:28 PM
Mickey - real nice looking bonker! Wish I could take credit for coming up with the term 'Bonker' but it was getting heavy use when I first joined the site a few years back! Looks like it will be a great tool! Hope you can turn one just like it for yourself!

Dan Forman
05-14-2011, 2:56 PM
Mickey ---You could always customize it further by adding an outside layer of soft foam, just in case. :) Looking good - I've been meaning to make one of those too, haven't gotten around to it yet though.