PDA

View Full Version : Delta shaper comparison?

Greg Urwiller
05-14-2011, 12:17 AM
CL has 2 Delta shapers listed within driving distance. One is a model 43-431/$800 and the other is a 43-375/$850. Both 3HP units. So, what's the differences in these machines and is one any better than the other? If I would call on these, what specific questions should I ask the owners? Thanks. Greg

mickey cassiba
05-14-2011, 2:02 AM
Greg, it's been a while since I messed with any of the shapers, and Dewalt's website is puny tonite, so I'm gonna wing it. To the best of my recollection...the -431 is an updated version of the -375...Some parts were changed and the motor was sourced from another manufacturer. The 431 likely has a WEG motor...the best one Delta ever bought. A quick look at the part list for each machine showed some of the -375 parts to be discontinued.
All that said...I'd simply ask the owners to fire them up. Everything else is a matter of inventory and alignment...things you'll need to check for yourself. Take a good straightedge with you and try to download a part list before you go. Check for smooth operation of the spindle elevation, as well as a good solid lock down on the elevation.Bearing noise is not neccessarily a deal breaker, unless you can positively identify it as motor bearings. If the spindle bearings are making noise, point it out, and try to use it for a price reduction. They are available from non Delta sources(less expensive) and easily changed.
A shaper is a pretty simple machine...not too much to mess up on them. DO make sure the mag switch is working...They are pretty expensive.

Chris Rosenberger
05-14-2011, 7:47 AM
I believe the 43-375 is the old style. It has the old style fence & smaller spindle cartridge.

The 43-331 is the newer style. It should have the new style fence. The new fence was much nicer than the old style. It also has a larger spindle cartridge that will take up to a1 1/4" spindle.

Greg Urwiller
05-14-2011, 4:24 PM
Are both of these shapers able to take different size spindles?

Stephen Cherry
05-14-2011, 6:18 PM
Maybe check this site for spindles:
http://artisans.homeunix.com:443/index.php?cPath=36_26

Richard at this site basically knows everything about these machines.

Dave Cav
05-16-2011, 4:19 PM
Maybe check this site for spindles:
http://artisans.homeunix.com:443/index.php?cPath=36_26

Richard at this site basically knows everything about these machines.

Here's another vote for asking Richard; He has rebuilt a couple of spindles for me and he does excellent work. The bottom line is that a Delta HD is a Delta HD, but newer/bigger motor is better. The really earlier models had a smaller (3" or so) hole in the table; newer ones have a much larger hole and a cast iron insert ring, plus a small pot metal ring to go in the CI one. Although it is possible to go up to a 1 1/4" spindle, I believe the conventional wisdom is that 3/4" is the ideal spindle size for these shapers.

While the newer fence is technically "better" and has a dust port, both of the Delta shaper fences are very fiddily to set up and a lot of people just use a shopmade wooden fence.