PDA

View Full Version : Woodturners Round-up tomorrow

Donny Lawson
05-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Our local woodturners club is having a gathering tomorrow to do demos and set up booths to sell our items and to look for "New" turners. It is suppose to be from 10-4pm. I do have alot of pens and 15 or so bowls to let go of. My bowls are harder to part with than anything else. I've had people wanting to buy them but I hate to put a price on them. I know I need to sell and not get attached to them but most of my bowls have a story behind them. Oh'Well, I guess I will need to let go,sell,and start over. This is my first chance to advertise and sell my items so hopefully it will go well.
Donny

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Good luck Donnie.........every piece is almost like a child......it has a part of you in it, and it makes it hard to let go of it.........just remember, by letting go, you enrich someone else's life, and it gives you a reason to do more........hope you have a great day, and besides.........the profits can go to purchase more turning "stuff!"

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Donny - good luck with your sales! The secret with being able to part with your turnings is to turn more - lots more! I agree that each piece has a story - just be sure to pass it along to the new owner so that they can share the history with others!

Michael James
05-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I believe that any talent we are given is meant to be shared. Good luck and keep on turning em out!

Vince Welch
05-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Donny - good luck with your sales! The secret with being able to part with your turnings is to turn more - lots more! I agree that each piece has a story - just be sure to pass it along to the new owner so that they can share the history with others!
I agree!!! Turns lots and things do get easier to part with.
Vince

David E Keller
05-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Good luck, Donny. I've had a hard time selling things too... Usually, I find it less stressful to just give them away. I hope you have some luck suckering a few more unwitting folks in to the vortex as well.

Dan Forman
05-14-2011, 4:17 AM
Good luck with the show Donny. I haven't sold anything except a few pens to coworkers, so can't give much advice there, but I have given away some stuff to family and friends, and know that in order to have flow, there has to be both input and output.

Dan

Keith E Byrd
05-14-2011, 6:22 AM
Good luck with the demos and hte sales! I haven't made enough "good" stuff yet to sell but I have been thinking about how to go about it becasue the items I have turned are starting to fill up all the empty places around the house!

Jamie Donaldson
05-14-2011, 8:14 PM
Sell them, and imagine each sale will be converted into a new gouge, new chuck, or some other more useful item than a shop piled with dusty old bowls. And a bowl that comes with a good story is worth more than one without!

Donny Lawson
05-15-2011, 9:20 PM
Well, The roundup did not go as planned at all. I got there around 8:30am or so and I thought there was going to be tables to rent but I was told that I was suppose to bring my own table and rent the space.(Did not know that). I also forgot my chair.(My bad). I did get to set up in the so called "Gallery". After setting up and checking out other turners "Fancy" tables,Tents,and set ups I thought I was not prepared at all. Then I found out that the advertisement for the newspaper about the Roundup did not make the paper so hardly no one knew we were there. We had like 3 people visit the roundup in the first 2 hrs.(NOT GOOD). I left about 3:20pm. I did sell 2 pens(one to another turner) (no bowls) and watched all the demos. I think there was 5 lathes going. I wish I had some x-mas ornaments. One turner had a bunch on his table and a lady stopped by and bought them all. This was my first time doing this so I did learn alot. Bring a table,rent my space,and bring something to set in. Standing up all day was no fun. I will know what to do next year.