PDA

View Full Version : Mycarta

Vic Harris
05-13-2011, 8:09 PM
Has anyone ever worked with this material? I just inheireted a truck load of it.
Vic

Chuck Stone
05-13-2011, 8:27 PM
I've used micarta for knife handles.. it works OK with tools and you
can finish it well enough.

Bruce Volden
05-13-2011, 9:47 PM
I really love the "bone" colored stuff, I call it faux ivory. It works great for inlay and scrimshaw in my usage!!

Bruce

Conrad Fiore
05-14-2011, 7:49 AM
Vic,
Is it the solid color stuff, or the laminated cap and core for engraving material? We use the Norplex/Micarta phenolic engraving material all the time. It cuts just fine if you use carbide saw blades to cut and carbide cutters for engraving. HSS will not hold up for machining phenolic. That said, if it is the laminated engraving material, it is the best stuff you can use for nameplates that will be used in a harsh environment (chemicals,solvents).

Vic Harris
05-14-2011, 10:39 AM
This is very old Westinghouse Mycarta laminated material, several color combinations 1/16 and 1/8 thickness. took me two ttrips in my Toyota to
bring it to the shop. When searching back I see a thread I had responded to myself under the title of Mycarta.
Thanks to all,
Vic

Glen Monaghan
05-14-2011, 11:04 AM
I've been laser engraving a company logo and custom signatures on micarta and g10 knife handles. The black ones don't have much contrast but I gold fill them. The green ones are left unfilled.

-Glen