PDA

View Full Version : Bois de Rose

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2011, 7:12 PM
I have done enough of these now that I have to make some kind of decision about why I keep making them. The choices are many and the decision must be carefully made because the implications vary wildly. I could say that I'm doing them "for practice" and that would be OK except that it does not sound like I have a clue what I am doing. Or I could say I'm stuck in a rut but that would mean that I'm stuck in a rut and that's not a good thing. I could say I'm in a groove but that sounds a bit too close to a rut only not as deep. It finally occurred to me that I could call it a "series. The thing I like about this is that it sounds like I really have a grip on things and it also allows me the room I need to go ahead and make the next several variations on this form that are currently stuck in my head. So, it's official... I've decided to call this a series. And to make it official, I even have a name for the series given to me by Jeff Nichol. I'm calling it the "Amphora Series".

So here is the next piece in the "Amphora Series". Again maple burl and ebonized rosewood, this time with a larger "bulb" and a narrower base on the "bell". Dyed red and sanded back a bit to let the figure come through. It is 3 1/2" at the rim and is the tallest of the series so far at 14".

Kurt Misner
05-13-2011, 7:18 PM
Beautiful! I love the porportions and wish I could pull off thin stems like that. I'm just too new to the "sport" and keep breaking them off the lathe. Practice, practice I guess. Thanks for the inspration.

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 7:21 PM
That is another looker for sure, David! A great series, that I imagine has a number of different colors and woods that could be combined and would be a treasure for a collector. Exquisite as usual! Superb form on the pedestal and body.

In the picture it looks as if the feature ball is just a little off direct center..........could be the distortion of the camera, but WOW what a series..........don't stop until you absolutely run out of inspiration for this form!

charlie knighton
05-13-2011, 7:44 PM
very nice, its great to have a series, you can do other things and then come back to your series, just to see how the form evolves...looking forward to your sharing your growth

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2011, 7:52 PM
"...it looks as if the feature ball is just a little off direct center..."

I dunno... I've looked at this till my eyes crossed and it's as centered as it can get! Maybe it's the pic or an optical illusion or something. I laid it on the bench with the rim and base touching and rolled it while sighting down the length and I can't detect any variation. But then again, it could be that my eyes have been crossed so many times that I can't trust them anymore!

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 7:55 PM
"...it looks as if the feature ball is just a little off direct center..."

I dunno... I've looked at this till my eyes crossed and it's as centered as it can get! Maybe it's the pic or an optical illusion or something. I laid it on the bench with the rim and base touching and rolled it while sighting down the length and I can't detect any variation. But then again, it could be that my eyes have been crossed so many times that I can't trust them anymore!

David.........I have also looked at it several times, from one side of the monitor then the other........I think it might be camera distortion............I have seen it look off a little, and then dead straight........I think it is the way the pic shows up on the monitor.........hey, this is really nice work........a great series, and I hope you can come up with some other combinations that will add to the genre..............

If a collector could get all the pieces in the series, then he would just have a special collection on his hands!

John Keeton
05-13-2011, 8:39 PM
David, I like this form variation better. It may be that the more narrow throat seems to be more of an extension of the top of the pedestal - kind of a flow through thing for lack of a better description. The allows the blub to be the focal point, which is a help visually - at least for me. Superb work, as always, and a more pleasing color for me, as well.

On the "off center" topic, I think the lighting on this pic is somewhat like the other one that had a center/lean issue, but turned out to be fine once you reshot the pic. The left side of the form appears to be just a little more "lit" than the right side, and IMO that causes an illusion.

Can you do these pedestals with your eyes closed yet???? You have it mastered for sure!

Jim Burr
05-13-2011, 8:44 PM
If you turn that with your eyes crossed, would you get 2? Worth it in this case. The really thin stem keeps drawing me in.

Jerry Lawrence
05-13-2011, 8:58 PM
David,
I love these forms...so delicate and beautiful! My question however (and this may have been addressed before and I missed it) is about their stability. It just looks as though they would be really top heavy, especially this extra tall one. Do they sit solidly or are they easily tipped?

Cathy Schaewe
05-13-2011, 9:05 PM
I know I keep gushing about these, but I just can't tell you how amazing I think they are. I should just shut up, because you know what I think by now. Except this one is even better....

Allan Ferguson
05-13-2011, 9:07 PM
Boy oh boy, what a nasty dilemma to have.

David E Keller
05-13-2011, 9:11 PM
...The allows the blub to be the focal point, which is a help visually...

I can't believe he called it a blub... I think it's nice. Very cool series!

Cathy Schaewe
05-13-2011, 9:12 PM
I can't believe he called it a blub... I think it's nice. Very cool series!

I noticed that, but I was being tactful, since he just sent me a huge haul of walnut. Pictures to come!

Alan Trout
05-13-2011, 9:21 PM
Dave,

Very nice work.

Alan

Baxter Smith
05-13-2011, 9:25 PM
Another great one David. Each one of these almost seems to become more and more refined - though I don't know if that is possible since they were pretty darn nice 4 or 5 pieces ago. You definitely have the hang of this shape, pedestal too!

Richard Madden
05-13-2011, 9:50 PM
Each one you have shown us has been sweet, this one is by far the "sweetest". Really nice work. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
05-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I can't believe he called it a blub... I think it's nice. Very cool series!I just get all blubbery when I look at DD's work!!:D Guess I need to download that spellchecker!:o

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Really liking your Amphora Series! Hard to put into words - without sounding fake - but each goblet of your series brings a touch of elegance and class to a form that has become quickly identifiable as one of your works! Have seen nothing like it before and I give you credit for sticking with it and developing it into a form worthy of recognition!

Very nice work! Thank you for sharing it with us all! Looking forward to seeing the next variation in the series!

Curt Fuller
05-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Or, you could just say you enjoy making them. I know I enjoy seeing them.

Scott Hackler
05-13-2011, 10:51 PM
David, I just love these newer stems. They are some of the most delicate and refined I have seen. The top is very unique and visually very interesting. I am not sure if it is my cup of tea, but I like anything that breaks out of the norm. You getting darn good at the coloring too. :)

Ed Morgano
05-13-2011, 10:55 PM
David,
Yet another example of why I want to be like you....... at least in the turning arena (vortex).

Dan Forman
05-14-2011, 4:05 AM
David, I for one am happy that you have managed to solve your dilemma of what to call this obsession of yours, because now we will get to see more of them. I love the tension created with those tiny stems supporting the form.

Dan

Michelle Rich
05-14-2011, 7:48 AM
It took 6 mins for this to download here in computer hell. I'm glad it's as beautiful as it is. Worth reading the "gnashing of teeth," the mental health issues of the artist, etc. :-) . All I know is I am glad you are teetering on the precipice , and while you are, you go to a lathe and create. This is lovely, elegant, & superbly crafted. It is pure delight to view. I hope you retain your confusion and make more for us selfish viewees to gaze upon.

David DeCristoforo
05-14-2011, 10:10 AM
A big thanx to everyone for the kind words.

"Do they sit solidly or are they easily tipped?"

When I started making these tall pedestal things, I had a "big issue" with that. In order to get any base diameter at all, I was turning my pedestals from 8/4 stock. But I was still lucky to end up with a base diameter of 1 1/2" - 1 5/8". I always felt that this "looked wrong", even on the shorter ones and they were, indeed, very "tippy". I had some pieces of larger material, 10-12/4 and, while these did allow a larger base, it really bothered me to waste so much of the wood. Then I hit on what is now my "standard procedure" for making the bases which is to make up a two piece blank, a 2 1/2" 4/4/ disk and a 4/4 X whatever I need in length. I posted this sketch in the "Parfait" thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162723-Start-to-finish%85-quot-Parfait-quot-step-by-step./page2)which is in the "Step by Step" sticky if you want to see pics

I don't really care for the look of very small bases although, like tiny openings in hollow forms, it seems to be more the "norm". I also like the piece to be stable so I usually shoot for between 2.25" - 2.5" for the finished diameter.

"...I can't believe he called it a blub..."
"...I was being tactful, since he just sent me a huge haul of walnut..."

Indeed! Well he didn't send may any walnut so, Counselor, I must object!

Bill Neddow
05-14-2011, 10:27 AM
David, I am glad you are calling it a "series" because you can't make too many of these. Many people will want to buy them because they are so beautiful. Every one is better than the last -- which is what happens in a good series. You are progressing wonderfully, though you may worry about being in a "rut". Believe me, you are not!

bob svoboda
05-14-2011, 1:01 PM
I never cease to me amazed and impressed by your work, DD. This piece is no exception to the rule. Very nicely done!

Jim Adkins
05-14-2011, 2:20 PM
Everybody needs a serious series or an exquisite excursion and this is one really sweet
piece. What ever will you do for an encore DD?? You indeed will do an encore to add
to the "series". Very nice indeed.

David DeCristoforo
05-14-2011, 6:48 PM
Thanx again...

"...people will want to buy them..."

Send em over!

"...you can't make too many of these..."

Especially if people want to buy them!

John Hart
05-14-2011, 7:46 PM
Well...I've looked at this and looked at it more. First off, I love it. And I love the series. But this one has a unique quality to my eye. It has motion. Because of the narrow neck and exaggerated flare, it looks like it is gushing. Everytime I look at it, I see motion. It is my favorite thus far.

David DeCristoforo
05-14-2011, 8:17 PM
Thanx John. Coming from a guy who just completed one of the most interesting and "off the wall" turnings I have ever seen, it's an "extra nice" complement! I just hope you haven't started a run on coffee beans that causes a worldwide shortage!

Ron Stadler
05-14-2011, 8:40 PM
I was just going to say, you just keep them coming. But you really do such nice work and they all look fantastic, I myself have fallen into something else, called the flute series and Iv'e fallen pretty deep I'm afraid.

David DeCristoforo
05-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I...have fallen into something...called the flute series..."

There was a "craft fair" here last weekend and there was a guy there who makes native flutes. Maybe you have seen these:

http://www.highspirits.com/index.html

jwjerry w kowalski
05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
That's just some outstanding work, I never get tired of looking at your series, I think you have the process down pat, no wonder you can't tear yourself away from the type of form, it is so interesting to look at, I get the feeling that it is floating on thin air.