PDA

View Full Version : Looking for White Wood?

David Baker
02-05-2005, 5:31 PM
Does anyone have suggestions as to the closest thing to white wood. Really!! My daughter wants something done in ebony and the nearest thing to white I can get.:confused:

Thanks, David

Hank Walczak
02-05-2005, 5:52 PM
David - If you can get it, Holly is as about white as you can get. I've also used White Oak with a white "pickling" stain and was satisfied with it. Just my .02...

Hank

Gary Max
02-05-2005, 6:29 PM
David the two that come to mind are Holly and Aspen.
I just turned some pens out of Holly and it was easy to work with.

Doug Shepard
02-05-2005, 7:12 PM
What you makin? Oreo cookie facsimilies?
I was going to add Aspen, but see Gary already covered that. If you can find some Poplar that's without the darker heartwood, it's also very pale. Does the white stuff have to be wood? If not, you could try Corian.

christopher webb
02-06-2005, 8:06 AM
you can also try avendura wood...or sometimes it is known as ( white mahogony ) it is very white and i use it alot when someone wants white wood....also you can find some maple that is very white.....but you have to be careful when you are finishing the product , alot of finishes turn wood a yellow color.....a clear finish of laqu. will help keep it that way

Jeff Sudmeier
02-06-2005, 8:46 AM
I was at my suppliers and he had some of what he called "red maple". That was the whitest wood I have seen. Against ebony, it would definately look white.

Wolf Kiessling
02-06-2005, 11:11 AM
You might want to consider basswood, particularly northern. It's fairly easy to find. Aspen, as previously mentioned, is also good, if you can find some without the brown streaks in it, but it is probably not so readily available unless you live in Colorado.

Barbara Gill
02-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Check WoodFinder for holly. It is the whitest wood I know of.

Michael Barry
02-06-2005, 1:39 PM
I just turned a pen out of a Magnolia limb trimmed from a friend's tree. Very white, Kinda bland really.

Alan Turner
02-06-2005, 2:37 PM
Groff & Groff has Holly, and ships. Don't know how much you need, but they are trustworthy on shipped orders.
Alan

David Fried
02-08-2005, 9:11 PM
Butternut is quite white also. (Common around here).

Bob Johnson2
02-09-2005, 2:58 PM
Ditto the Holly, I've only seen it in small pieces, I guess it's usually just for accents. Not cheap either.

Pete Kekel
02-10-2005, 10:25 AM
You could also bleach any of the lighter woods (like Maple) for a white look.