PDA

View Full Version : Pex vs Polyethelene?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
There are 2 things I want done on my home.

First I am getting quotes on putting a new roof on the house.

2nd is replacing the domestic water line coming into the house. If I went with copper it's going to be much more expensive in materials and labor. The first contractor I called suggested Pex or polyethylene as he can use a "mole" to dig the hole and not have to ditch.

Any significant advantages or recommendations to either one?

Lee Schierer
05-13-2011, 11:20 AM
The 100' water line to our well is polyethylene and it has been buried since 1980 without a single problem. I doubt anyone has similar data for PEX. I know PEX is the latest thing for water line use becasue of the ease of installation inside the house.

If your existing line is used for the electrical ground and you replace that line with plastic, you will need to install a grounding rod outside.

Dan Hintz
05-13-2011, 11:23 AM
FYI... Pex is polyethylene (cross-linked). I wouldn't choose a product based solely upon it making the job easier for the installer, but in this case I don't see any problem with it, so choosing Pex will save you install money compared to copper. As long as the entire run is underground and away from UV, it should be quite acceptable. The "mole" will leave you yard cleaner than a ditch and the grass will grow back more quickly.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
FYI... Pex is polyethylene (cross-linked).

Duh! Now I realize and can verify that my hair receding so fast in front is caused by me slapping it so often and so hard!:o

glenn bradley
05-13-2011, 6:22 PM
Duh! Now I realize and can verify that my hair receding so fast in front is caused by me slapping it so often and so hard!:o

:D:D:D Oh man! I am using that one. :D