6.5 x 4.5

comments and suggestions are requested

Sean Hughto
05-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Nice one!

Will the next one be Res Ipsa Loquitur?

Baxter Smith
05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice shape and lots of little details, both natural and added. Did you once turn this and let dry?

Jim Burr
05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Nice work Charlie! Apple sure is fun to work with.

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Charlie - very nice vase! Pretty wood and I like all the character! Great job on the form! I like the beading at the top but find the bead near the foot disrupts the curve. JMO.

charlie knighton
05-13-2011, 1:59 PM
Sean,

Will the next one be Res Ipsa Loquitur?

i would like to think i could do one to that phases quality, but i still have some things to work at on hollowing, the climb is a little less steep, but a harder pull now.

Baxter, thanks for the comments

Did you once turn this and let dry?

no, i got the blank at club raffle, you choose um thing, it was pretty well dry and starting to crack. i turned the outside one day and hollowed about 3 days later. i could get curlies in some places, dust in others.

thanks Jim, i agree, i have not turned much apple but i like the detail it holds

thanks for the comments Steve

I like the beading at the top but find the bead near the foot disrupts the curve. JMO.

normally i do not put a bead there, but when i reversed the hf to turn off the foot i had trouble centering the hf between the chucker and tailstock. the bead was to break up or hide the continuation of the curve. the bead is at the point of waste wood before the tenon, and the bottom of hf is inside the tenon turned away. i believe even though the blank was quite dry that the wood moved from when i turned the outside and 3 days later when i hollowed the hf.

Tim Thiebaut
05-13-2011, 2:07 PM
Hi Charlie, thats a very nice vase there, lots of character in the wood to! I love turning apple, I have only done a couple of small pieces with it but turns very nicely and finshes nice to.

David E Keller
05-13-2011, 6:14 PM
Looks good, Charlie. I've never turned apple, but I hear it likes to move and crack... It sure it pretty stuff. I love the voids and the 'full-figured' form you've chosen here. If I may, I'd suggest you crop the pictures a bit more to really show the turning.

charlie knighton
05-13-2011, 7:17 PM
thanks Tim for the comments, get all you can of that apple, i had only turned one other blank when i was first attempting to turn, it was green, yes it moved a bunch

thanks David for the comments

I'd suggest you crop the pictures a bit more to really show the turning.

it would improve my picture, i use Gimp 2, a free software, sometimes i can get lucky and crop the picture, this one i could not figure out how to crop it, i will try again......sort of how i hollow, sometimes i can get a smooth inside, other times....lets just say John Jordan does not lose any sleep about me over taking him

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 7:25 PM
Pretty nice Charlie...........I like the apple, and your form is good............

charlie knighton
05-13-2011, 7:37 PM
thanks Roger for the comments

David, here is the latest try to enlarge

John Keeton
05-13-2011, 8:28 PM
Charlie, I agree on the wood - a very nice piece! I like the fullness, as well, and the beaded collar area. The larger pic is better, as well.

David E Keller
05-13-2011, 9:17 PM
thanks Roger for the comments

David, here is the latest try to enlarge

Oh yeah! She's a looker, and those walls look paper thin! Thanks for the larger photo.

charlie knighton
05-13-2011, 9:26 PM
thanks for the nice comments John and David,

I like the fullness

'full-figured' form

i had to put two voids in the hf because the blank was not wide enough, 4 1/2 inches wide hf, i really like 5 1/2 to 6, the other void on the back side is about 3 times as large as the one on the left, you can see the sort of striped area around the void, i guess that is where the chainsaw cut the blank

Harry Robinette
05-13-2011, 9:46 PM
I have to agree with Steve S. everything looks good but the bead at the bottom.The bead takes the flow of the curve away.

Dan Forman
05-14-2011, 4:20 AM
That's some very pretty wood and a form to suit.

Dan

charlie knighton
05-14-2011, 6:42 AM
Harry, thanks for looking and the suggestion

Dan, thanks for your comments and for looking.

Roland Martin
05-14-2011, 9:29 AM
A very beautiful piece of apple and a very nice form. Very well done Charlie.