PDA

View Full Version : Banjo/extension replacement on G0462

Steve Braman
05-13-2011, 8:02 AM
I finally got around to trying to turn a larger shallow bowl on my G0462 and it was definitely exciting. The high minimum speed had provided a litle excitement in the past with other slightly smaller bowls, but the surface speed increases quickly out there with minimal diameter change! But I digress, that is not the issue for today.

The real excitement came from movement of the toolrest due to flexing of the banjo and extension. I think some of it comes from the joint, but the extension seems a bit small now that I have had it extended out there.

So I am looking to buy or build a new one piece banjo. I am leaning towards build to save cost, so that my wife won't destroy my vortex. She may be the only force in nature that has control over the vortex.

I was thinking I could use a 2x3 piece of steel rectangular tubing. I will then have a split piece of pipe welded in one end to accept the tool rest. I think some flanges at the cut line with nut welded on the back one and a clear hole on the front will allow me to clamp down on the tool rest. I will likely harvest the cam mechanism for the ways end from my existing banjo. It seems this could be an inexpensive upgrade. Has anybody done this? Am I crazy? I will definitely run some quick back of the envelope calcs, but it seems that I could make it stiffer pretty easily. Do I want it to be a little soft to absorb some vibration?

Dale Winburn
05-13-2011, 8:37 AM
I just recently built a new Banjo for my Home Built Bowl Lathe. This might give you some ideas. More details can be seen at http://www.winburn.com/BowlLathe.asp.

Regards,
Dale

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 12:51 PM
A number of turners have taken the extension off their banjo because of the flexing issue........they consider it a poor design, although it was meant to allow for greater configuration of the toolrest, but it can and does create problems, which means extra care is warranted for some operations.

Bob Bergstrom
05-13-2011, 7:41 PM
Here is a set up on me old Delta 450. You can't make the banjo too strong. This on is a steel bar 4" wide and 1" thick. I wished I had made the tool holder out a heavier piece of pipe or dowel and drill the hole to accept the tool rest. Table was 1/2" steel plate with a slot down the middle and 4" channel under it to add support and connect to the cabinet. Used a ratchet wrench to tight a 1" bolt.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_0622.jpg

Steve Braman
05-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I will try removing the extension this weekend and see if that helps. Otherwise I will let you know when I decide to build the new one.

David Warkentin
05-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I had the same lathe. I bought the banjo for the other 16" lathe they sell and put it on there. Definitely worth doing...