PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly Go462 Wood Lathe

ken gibbs
05-13-2011, 4:56 AM
Grizzly done good again. I received my new G0462 three weeks ago and I am very impressed with not only the new shop toy but the way Grizzly handled the transaction and delivery. That lathe has all of the features that I ever wanted in a wood lathe and I am pleasently surprised every time I start a turning. This lathe was on sale for $603.00 FOB destination. If you are thinking about a new lathe, I would strongly recommend you consider the G0462.

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 5:51 AM
Ken,

I have the Grizzly G0698 18/47 lathe, and it has really been superb so far..............I hope you enjoy your G0462 as much as I have my G0698.

John Keeton
05-13-2011, 6:19 AM
Ken, congrats on the lathe! Grizzly seems to have a very good record of customer support. I have a shop full of Griz machines, and all have done great. Time now for you to be posting some new turnings from that machine!

BTW, if that lathe still has the banjo extension, do yourself a favor and remove it! They are dangerous pieces of equipment.

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 6:57 AM
Ken,

Also, be careful with bowl blanks........your lowest speed of 600 rpm is high for bowl turning with a blank that is out of balance. You need to prepare your bowl blank as best you can getting it round and balanced before mounting on your lathe. That will save you a lot of chasing your lathe across the floor, and be a much safer proposition!

Tim Thiebaut
05-13-2011, 7:00 AM
Congrats on your new lathe!! Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Kenneth Hertzog
05-13-2011, 7:35 AM
I hate to be the one to say this
BUT
no pictures did it really happen :D

Steve Braman
05-13-2011, 7:40 AM
Turning larger items on this lathe can get a little exciting. Not only because the higher low end speed, but also because the banjo/extension/toolrest seems to flex a bit when you get it extended out there. It may just be my lack of technique, but I am currently looking to buy/build a new banjo to help alleviate this issue. Maybe I will start a new thread on that issue. Otherwise I have also been very happy with mine also.

Steve Schlumpf
05-13-2011, 8:13 AM
Congrats on your new lathe Ken! Looking forward to seeing the photos of it and your turnings!

ken gibbs
05-15-2011, 6:51 AM
John,

Do you need some Osage Orange wood to turn? I was given a pickup load of 8" limbs recently and got started turning on my new Grizzly lathe. This wood has been stored outside since last November so its semi-dried. After burning up several A2 chisels, I ordered a Termite hollower so I can cut the end grain. And I am thinking about makeing a carbide hollowing tool mounted on a long piece of pipe. For those who haven't found out the hard way as I did, that Osage is so hard you could make ball bearings out of it. After all of this free Osage wood and a new lathe, my entire summer is shot already.

John Keeton
05-15-2011, 7:01 AM
Ken, I appreciate the offer, but I have the horrid (I realize many disagree!) osage on our farm - way more than I would like. And, it just has never appealed to me. But, for sure, you are right on it being hard. Tough call between it and honey locust (of which I have too much, as well!) as to which is hardest after seasoned.