PDA

View Full Version : SJOBERGS Bench Top Question

Dennis Petrillo
02-05-2005, 2:26 PM
Hi All,

I'm fairly new here. I'm thinking of building a workbench and deciding whether to build all or buy some parts and build some parts. Woodcraft has a special on SOBERGS bench tops. I thought of buying that and building the base in order to speed up the process a bit. I'm a little hesitate due to the weight of the top....only 60 lbs. I plan to use the bench for handwork, dovetails, M&T, etc. Do you think the weight is substantial enough?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Jim Becker
02-05-2005, 8:37 PM
Dennis, I had the Sojberg bench for a number of years. It was functional and well made. But yes, the top is not a heavyweight and it's also quite narrow. It can be quite serviceable for mild hand tool use if you put it on a heavy base or cabinet, but will not be nearly as steady as something more substantial. When I started using my few hand tools more often, I started to want a heavier bench. If I had the room, I would have kept the Sojberg as a secondary bench 'cause I liked it, but that was not possible...so it has a new home in another woodworker's shop.

Bottom line...it's a good starter bench, especially at the sale price.

John Miliunas
02-05-2005, 8:53 PM
Dennis, first of all, welcome to the Creek!:) I think you'll find it a friendly and informative place to hang out.

OK, the Sojberg. Jim speaks many truths about it and with much more experience than myself. However, I took that exact same journey about a month or so ago. For my shop, it has worked out to be a fabulous addition. I did the same thing you're looking at doing and, with the exact same top, also purchased at Woodcraft, as it happens! :) I already have a huge worktable, though it's far from being flat or even real sturdy. On the Sojberg, as you already know, I noted the weight and set out to make that a non-issue. I've documented a good portion of it right here on the Creek, if you go to:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15416&page=1&pp=40

Thus far, I've used it for sawing, chiseling, sanding, pounding, hand planing and even a little work holding down pieces for routing. No, it's not huge, but for me, that's an asset, because it's really NOT big enough to hold my work pieces AND a bunch of other junk, which is what always happens on my big worktable. Like yourself, I didn't feel I had the time for building a bench from the ground up and the leg set option for it, I feel is sub-standard. If you're looking for an endorsement of that particular unit, you've got it. Any questions, feel free to drop me a line. Good luck in whichever direction you decide to go with it and again, welcome to SMC! Stop in often, stay long. :) :cool:

Aaron Kline
02-06-2005, 8:34 AM
Hey Jim,
What's that UGLY looking helmet down at the bottom of your post?:eek:
:D :D :D :D

Mark Stutz
02-06-2005, 1:36 PM
Dennis,
I'm not what I consider even close to an authority on the subject, IMO, you had better make the base very heavy. I went with the Sjoberg top and built a base similar to John's. I find the with hand planing it wants to slide across the floor. It may make a difference as to the floor. I think John has concrete and I have wood, so that may make a difference,i.e. mine is slicker to begin with. I already have a benchtop on the drawing board. The wooden vises are not bad, but will wrack, and I've decided I'll get more use out of a tail vise. I'm glad I went the route I did though, because it got me going a lot faster and with less expense at the time.

Mark

Dennis Petrillo
02-06-2005, 8:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. A lot of good information to think about. BTW John, I followed your thread and that is a REALLY nice bench.....Enjoy!