PDA

View Full Version : Scraper Blades

John Tallyn
05-12-2011, 8:11 PM
I was reading "Planecraft" by Hampton and Clifford, it discussed a way of preparing a scraper blade for the record equivalent of the Stanley # 80 and #12. You shape the back of the scrapper blade to a 45 degree angle. Has anybody used this method, it's not a method I'm familiar with, but then I'm certainly no expert on either scraper. I've just bought a #12 and am wondering whether this type of shape to the scraper blade is a better way of doing it.
Thanks
John

James Taglienti
05-13-2011, 2:06 PM
I have used both and the cutting dynamics are similar ... A scraper with a 45 bevel is easier to shape the first few times, but it doesnt seem to last as long as one that is filed square. I always end up fragmenting the edge rather quickly.

It seems like the burr on the edge of a squared blade has more support and lasts longer. They tend not to fragment on me but dull slowly over time and are easier to resharpen in the long term.

To me a 45 isnt worth the extra work. This is a matter of opinion and the individual nature of everyones hand tool work leads to many different procedures and rituals, most having nearly identical end results.

James Scheffler
05-13-2011, 5:34 PM
I find it's easier to put a consistent hook on a 45-degree bevel than a square edge. On the other hand, I haven't practiced a lot with a square edge because I got frustrated with it. If you're good at it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't.

Jim S.