PDA

View Full Version : Blum Undermount Drawer Slides with Drawers having unequal length sides

John TenEyck
05-12-2011, 7:50 PM
I recently completed this built-in china cabinet:

The doors and drawers are curved. I wanted to use Blum undermount drawer slides for a nice clean look; however the drawer sides are nearly 2 inches longer at the the center of the cabinet than at the outside and the Blum slides require the sides to be equal in length. I had never used these slides before either so that added to the adventure. After I figured out how the slides went together I concluded that the only way to make them work with these drawers was to modify the drawer so that the mounting point for the slides would be of equal length on both sides. To do this, I created a false back on the longer side, moving it forward so that the mounting length was equal to the shorter side. Here's a top view of the inside of the drawer, showing the modification:

And the bottom:

And the back, where you can see how I cut the back of the drawer to clear the slide so that it could be fit into the false back.

In order to mount the release brackets on the drawers I had to make a small curved insert on one side to square the bracket to the drawer side. I glued and tacked it to the drawer bottom and front. Here's a close up:

The drawer boxes were made with 1/2" baltic birch plywood, including the bottoms, which allowed me to glue the entire box together, and thereby just use butt joints at the corners.

And one last shot showing an open drawer in the completed cabinet:

Oh yeah, the drawers function perfectly.

John

Jack Lemley
05-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Very nice job John!

Bill ThompsonNM
05-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Wow! Nice work and nice solution!

Mark Rakestraw
05-13-2011, 5:40 AM
Nice job John. I really like the cabinet.
Mark

C Scott McDonald
05-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow! That is awesome. That is the kind of stuff that makes a house a home.