PDA

View Full Version : Tried the IBC/Cosman Blade - and liked it!

Brian Kent
05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I went over to the new location of Craftsman Studio in Spring Valley, Ca. This was my first time since they moved from Claremont Mesa. I peruse their website often, but really like going over there to see Bill and talk tools. Great guy!

He asked me if I had handled the new IBC/Cosman blades. He set up a Stanley plane with the blade and chip-breaker to make sure he liked the way it works before selling it. It really is an impressively thick set, with a solid and stable feel.

In previous threads, we had talked about the vast pricing difference between the IBC and other blades. Now that Woodcraft no longer has its exclusive, and it does not have to be packaged with a video, It is now a reasonable price. 2" set was $79.95.

If this sounds like an advertisement, it is, but from an unaffiliated shopper who now sees a reasonable price.

Brian

David Weaver
05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Someone told me in a PM a couple of weeks ago that the price had been dropped in several places that carry it.

I was one of the most vocal about it when they were $99 or whatever they were, because replacement irons and chipbreakers have really become a commodity good and the durability between all of the brands is generally the same, even if prep time isn't.

They are good irons (i have two of them) and I'm sure the chipbreakers are good, though I have none of those. I'm glad to see that they are pushing on price a little now.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Was thinking about buying one for a #6 that I accidentally ended up with. If I keep it and don't find the original blade as usable, I will likely try one. If I opt to dump the plane I will likely try a set. As pretty as it is, it will probably not compete with my Lie Nielsen #6.... Wanted a #5 (oops).

So, I appreciate the review.