PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Make Money At Woodworking?

Tom LaRussa
02-05-2005, 11:16 AM
I think it would be interesting to see how many of us manage to make money with our woodworking addictions.

Jim Becker
02-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Today, none. Someday, maybe a little, but I don't want to destroy the enjoyment I get from what is essentially my "mental health" activity.

Jim Young
02-05-2005, 12:02 PM
My answer wasn't a choice, about -1%. I figure my income reflects a loss in 1% due to the tool and stuff purchases.

Lou Morrissette
02-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Since my retirement a year ago, I've been busy going slowly in debt building and equiping a new shop.:( Hopfully that will turn around to someday breaking even when I finally start making some sawdust.:rolleyes:

Kelly C. Hanna
02-05-2005, 12:37 PM
I have no savings, but the bills are paid and I get new tools now and then....:D

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2005, 1:01 PM
Everything in my shop is paid for. Since 9-11....I've had to make plans for retirement since most of my retirement was shot after that date. I really don't want to work and say.....Hi, welcome to Wal-Mart.......I'd rather be saying......so what kind of finish do you want on those bookcases!!!!! :D

I make a few bucks each year in my shop. Just not enough to reflect anything in my checking account. :rolleyes:

Mark Singer
02-05-2005, 2:05 PM
This is a difficult question since a fair portion of my income is earned as an Architect...clients appreciate my skill as a crafstman.Very often I make wood architectural models in the shop of projects like custom homes. Knowing how things are built and actually being able to build them is an advantage in securing new work. I have built a few special pieces for clients over the years, I haven't done that for a while. All the stuff I make now is for the home or studio....an occasional gift.., maybe. I have designed many custom pieces for the resturants and have had to make a few myself...there were no takers. It is difficult to draw lines and seperate...about a year ago Ryan and I put our woodworking to use remodeling some apartments I own. I am a very low margin businessman...everything is paid for with a few minor exceptions... It is not taking advantage of all the tax benefits I am often told....no mortgage , no car loans, no equipment loans, ....it is a great way to have a restful sleep though! Still I am an insomniac as many here know...there is always the next idea, project, sketch, email ...I have a lust for living and the mornings are a great place to begin...before the phone and the ubiquatous callings of the day erode all sence of quiet...so conducive to creativity and thought.

JayStPeter
02-05-2005, 3:10 PM
Today, none. Someday, maybe a little, but I don't want to destroy the enjoyment I get from what is essentially my "mental health" activity.

Agreed.

Sometimes around Christmas the fun factor decreases trying to get stuff done.
But, I would like to come up with something I could make at my leisure and sell to at least help offset tool costs ;)

Jay

Kelly C. Hanna
02-05-2005, 3:57 PM
Everything in my shop is paid for. Since 9-11....I've had to make plans for retirement since most of my retirement was shot after that date. I really don't want to work and say.....Hi, welcome to Wal-Mart.......I'd rather be saying......so what kind of finish do you want on those bookcases!!!!! :D

I make a few bucks each year in my shop. Just not enough to reflect anything in my checking account. :rolleyes:
Well said Dennis. With your attention to detail you should have no trouble building businees for your shop...heck if I can do it ANYONE can!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-05-2005, 4:55 PM
I make no money at woodworking, but I have built a lot of stuff for the house that we would not otherwise have. Someday I would like to start selling peices to pay for some expensive tools.

Frank Pellow
02-05-2005, 5:45 PM
I voted none

but ...

What with the expense of building my shop last year and of equiping this year, the percentage is negative. My objective is to get up to the break-even point in 2006. Who knows, the percent might even get into positive territory after that.

Scott Coffelt
02-05-2005, 5:59 PM
As a precentage it is low, there are times when I have a few projects that come in that can boost any one month. I try and keep a small steady stream of work out there to be had.

Bobby Nicks
02-05-2005, 6:09 PM
I retired last May. Since then I have had a commissioned job in the shop all the time. Since the end of May I have done 2 lingerie chests, 2 coffee tables, a toy box, a wine rack and some misc. small stuff. Just hope this will last. My biggest problem is that I work slowly, and my shop only has room for one project at a time.

Starting this week I have to take a break, the wife has got a new large screen TV and it won't fit the old cabinet, so I have to build her a new TV cabinet before I can take on anything else.

So far I am really enjoying being retire and spending every day in the shop woodworking.

Bob

Bill Arnold
02-05-2005, 7:19 PM
...for now, everything is MINE! I don't owe anybody for anything! I probably spent as much on tools last year as I earned in wages. I'm now retired and loving every minute of it! LOML is keeping me busy with her furniture projects and maybe I can sneak in a little time for projects that might earn me a penny or two along the way.

Mark Patoka
02-05-2005, 8:33 PM
I've only started selling items the last year or two and made just enough to buy some new tools which was my initial goal. I've just started selling some items through a few gift shops but I'm taking the "go it slow" approach as I still have my full-time day job and family life to balance so I don't want to be consumed by having to be in the shop every night not making things for myself. I am gaining the "priceless" experience of operating this as a small-scale business and dealing with the middle-man, shipping, taxes, etc.

If anything, it's a lot easier getting the spouse's approval to purchase a new tool when the hobby/business can support itself.

Steve Clardy
02-05-2005, 8:57 PM
I'm full time with my own shop. Wife works a part time job for grocery money.

Frank Pellow
02-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Hey Tom, I just noticed that your percentage ranges overlap at the boundaries. :(

Greg Mann
02-05-2005, 11:09 PM
I have a lot of projects around the house, more carpentry than woodworking, that I am knocking off myself. I just remodeled our kitchen and know that I saved a ton over hiring it out. What I save on projects is my justification for tool aquisition. It is more rewarding that way (but might not be if I was doing this for a living :) ). I think most of us got hooked that way.

Greg

Jim McCarty
02-05-2005, 11:12 PM
I am a general contractor who does mostly finish carpentry and cabinetry. I have been doing this for the past 25 years.

Mike Cutler
02-06-2005, 8:37 AM
At this time none, and I'm good with that. I do it as stress relief and to make some nice furniture/remodeling to the house. I've had requests for projects, but I pass. The requests come from friends and co-workers and I don't want to take a chance compromising those relationships.
I've been told that I do good work, and maybe it's true, but I'm slower than erosion. I get just as much satisfaction out of making a shop jig as I do the final result.
I'm also very fortunate, I have a wife that supports me in my "endeavor" and usually is the catalyst to make me buy a new tool or machine to make things easier, I'm pretty hardheaded at times :rolleyes:.

Mark Riegsecker
02-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I agree with Mike Cutler, the risk and reward is not always there. If an item is sitting in your house, guests can easily complement. Once they pay for that same item you, the friend and/or fellow factory worker have now taken on a new role, open to objective expectations that are rarely ever met for one reason or another.
I've sold things in the past and there were rarely an occasion I didn't harbor a feeling that the "customer" really wasn't satisfied. They said they were.... but that lingering feeling.....
In my experience, the hardest thing in the world to do, other then lose weight, is to make money selling workshop projects. Correctly I mean.... I read in a book long ago, the title went something like, " selling your stuff", boy was that depressing. The author listed all the expenses involved with the project that you're expected to add up in order to actually make a profit.
Ignoring his advice we amateurs inevitably end up adding a couple of bucks to the finished product for that new saw blade or a new router bit calling that profit. Which brings me back to my first sentence.

Often times when our goal is to sell we then lose our focus of why we started and why we continue. As was mentioned by others, most of us started out of necessity I know I did. However, it isn't long before it naturally evolves into furniture for the LOML, children's toys for Christmas, out door projects that we would probably not buy because many times it needs to be custom. On and on it goes making it a very self rewarding albeit, expensive hobby that we justify by improving our surroundings and to satisfy an apparent need for challenge.
I certainly don't want to insult or sound of someone full of arrogance. There's nothing wrong with selling your wares I suppose it can be fun too, part of the challenge. I never did it long and today feel fortunate that I no longer have a need nor inclination.

I love this hobby and love what it gives me which I get from nothing else. And after finding this forum I see I'm not alone. I have monitored this forum for a while and it has become my favorite. I'm not entirely sure. It might be the format or the information that's available. I just know there is a wealth of information here and I've learned a lot in just the few weeks I've been with you. I extend my deepest gratitude to this forum and to all of you who contribute.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2005, 2:41 PM
As I'm still currently finishing my new shop I'm experiencing a tremendous deficit. But I do it as stress relief from the job. It's something I enjoy and someday I hope to be a craftsman of sorts.

John Bush
02-06-2005, 3:06 PM
0.00% $$$$ for me but I make garden seating benches and potting benches for various benefit auctions in the area. It's a great excuse to buy more stuff and make dust!! The winners of the items at the auctions are very appreciative of the efforts donated and usually pay much more than the item's realistic value. This serves to boost my ego far above any logical level, but then I feel totally justified buying more stuff and making more dust!! Man, what a deal!! John.

Dave Anderson NH
02-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I started out last year making and selling some of my homemade hand tools. I got a website up the first of the year and things have taken off. To me it's a supplementary income which pays for my tool and woodworking habit and provides a few extra bucks. I love making my marking knives, awls, plane hammers, and bowsaws. I feel both productive and proud that I can make things which other woodworkers desire and can use in thier shops. I decided that for me the way to go was completely legitimate. I formed an LLC, got a federal ID number, and even pay taxes on what I make. Of course, since I have a dealer in Germany and export to him, there wasn't much chance of flying under the IRS and customs radar anyway.

I expect that the business will grow and eventually I'll have more types of tools, though still only specialty stuff for the hand tool enthusiast. My main concern is managing growth so that I'm not stuck only making tools. I still want to be able to make furniture. When I retire I expect to devote about half time to toolmaking as a supplement to my retirement income. Unfortunately, retirement is till 10 years away.

John Gregory
02-07-2005, 1:46 PM
My wife and I built our shop because we enjoy woodworking as a hobby. I think we spent less money building and equiping our shop than many do buying a boat and a truck to pull it. :rolleyes:
We have built two or three things for people I work with and charged them a little more than cost of material. We build a lot for family and they just pay for cost of material and supplies. LOML and I think we picked a great hobby. Other's pay for the supplies we need for our hobby. ;)

We hope that when we retire, we can bring in some extra cash doing woodworking. Time will tell on that.

John and Kris

Mark J Bachler
02-07-2005, 2:47 PM
This is kind of a hard one to answer. So I'm going to tell ya a little story.

For 18 years I worked as a cabinetmaker in a production shop. Now I do estimating & CAD for a similar shop (day job). A year or so ago I built my own shop. The deal I made with OWHN (ol' what’s her name) was that the shop would pay for itself. I borrowed 42K for the 28 x 40 building, all the machines & tools. Working evenings & weekends, I've been pulling in between $1200 to $1600 a month for the last 4 months. All in all I am making the payments ok, BUT, as Jim B. said I'm starting to destroy my enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, I love my shop & I love working in it, however it would be nice to do something besides hump out kitchens (gravy) for a change. I have a 32' oak bar & back bar to build coming up in March / April which may be just what I need to stretch out a little. Eventually I'll have everything paid off & then I can kick back & do whatever I want, right ???????

Thanks for letting me rant a little.

Like you had a choice.

Byron Trantham
02-07-2005, 3:00 PM
I retired last May. Since then I have had a commissioned job in the shop all the time. Since the end of May I have done 2 lingerie chests, 2 coffee tables, a toy box, a wine rack and some misc. small stuff. Just hope this will last. My biggest problem is that I work slowly, and my shop only has room for one project at a time.

Starting this week I have to take a break, the wife has got a new large screen TV and it won't fit the old cabinet, so I have to build her a new TV cabinet before I can take on anything else.

So far I am really enjoying being retire and spending every day in the shop woodworking.

Bob
Bobby,
You and I are on the same track. I make money at it but I won't be rushed. I spent 36 years being rushed - no more! I tell clients, "So long as you aren't in a hurry, I'll do it." In four years of retirement and a couple dozen projects, not a single person has "put the pressure" on me. I really enjoy working with wood, but what the hey, if they want to pay me so be it. BTW, the most frequently asked for items are picture frames! It amazes me what people will pay for them considering they can go to WalMart, buy it that day, and pay A LOT LESS. Of course I mount them, cut matts, install dust shields and mounting harware. Depending on the client, I have even gone to their house and hung them. :rolleyes:

Tom LaRussa
02-08-2005, 9:46 PM
Hey Tom, I just noticed that your percentage ranges overlap at the boundaries. :(
Frank,

I know, but I was too lazy to type out a bunch of greater-than-X-but-less-than-Y type statements. :o

Jeff Sudmeier
02-09-2005, 8:27 AM
Frank,

I know, but I was too lazy to type out a bunch of greater-than-X-but-less-than-Y type statements. :o

It didn't skew the results too much. The overwhelming outcome is that most of us in this craft do not do it for the money. Most of us do it for the joy and satisfaction.

Thomas Prondzinski
02-09-2005, 8:42 AM
I have a small woodworking business outside of my 40+ week job,so far helps to buy the tools. Doing my first kitchen now.

Tom

Kent Cori
02-11-2005, 8:33 PM
Woodworking is solely a relaxing hobby for me. Even if I wanted to try to make some income off of it, I'm way too slow.

Maurice Ungaro
01-31-2006, 2:21 PM
None added to our income with my woodworking, especially since my shop is in storage right now, however, I hope to be getting a South Carolina residential contractor's license ina few months. After that, I want to be able to make a living by building spec houses.

Pete Lamberty
01-31-2006, 2:35 PM
For some reason the poll wouldn't let me answer it. But I don't make any money at this time from woodworking. I hope that changes a little in the future. It would be nice to sell some of my work but I also don't want a hobby to turn into a job.

David Duke
01-31-2006, 3:02 PM
For the last 4 years I've been building 2-3 kitchens a year to help pay for this expensive habit. While building kitchen/bath case work is not my favorite WWing activity I still enjoy it, what I would really like to do however is build a few pieces such as jewelry boxes, dressers, baby cribs, etc. and put them out and see how they would sell, only problem is that I'm not on a well traveled road and don't care to put them in some else's store and them make a commission off my work, I know this would only be fair but its just not something I think I would want to do.

David Griffith
01-31-2006, 3:45 PM
Yeah I make money, at my real job, to pay for all of the stuff I buy!:D
If you count the proffit from remodeling my old house, yes I have made money with my tools.:) But the furniture is just a hobby, and for most of us that is enough. Now if I could just get rid of the friends mooching my tools and time.:eek:

Quinn McCarthy
01-31-2006, 4:30 PM
I run my business (Nakoda Millwork) about half time. I have a full time job so my goal is to make sure I make enough money to have the best tools and to keep the shop heated all year long.

Randy Looney
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Wood Working is my fun and enjoyment with no time schedule. I build for family and friends and enjoy what I make to keep me from getting any crazier than I already am. Wood Working is my sanity check, peace of mind and relaxation. I hope to one day sell something but at this time and after 2.5 years it is all for the love of it.

I think if I quit wood working the men with the new White Suit Coat would come and try it on me for size. ;) Me insane naw I lost my sanity along time ago. Everybody else is crazy not me nope not me.:p

Paul Downes
01-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Tom, you don't happen to moonlight with the I.R.S. do you?:D

I have sold a paltry few items, mostly to friends, relatives and co-workers. I am however at a junction in life, not by choice, where my employer doesn't seem to desire my services anymore. After 28+ years at generous motors (GM) they have elected to close my plant. I am not too upset. It has been no great suprise. My faith in God and the 10 children he gave me has supplied me with lots of woodworkers. It is funny that within 10 min. of finishing the woodshop, I got a call from a friend who wants to discuss a woodworking manufacturing proposition. So I expect to voyage forth into a new career. I may have to put some chickens back into the coop to feed all those mouths.:D :D I have been planning and reserching ideas for about 5 years now, and now it's time to put the rubber on the road...... err wood through the saw.