PDA

View Full Version : satin finish

Jake Helmboldt
05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
I have had requests for some low-gloss satin finishes on bowls. Typically I use Waterlox original, but that gives a fiarly glossy finish. I've used BLO+beeswax and gotten a decent, low lustre finish, but I'm not sure how durable it is or whether it requires rewaxing.

What are some other good low lustre options for a decorative utility bowl (e.g fruit bowl) that doesn't require routine reapplication.

Scott Hackler
05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Jake I typically spray everything with Minwax gloss lacquer and leave it.... but lately I have allowed the lacquer to cure overnight and hit it with 0000 steel wool to knock off the gloss and then hitting the whole thing with paste wax (slight buffing) makes for a nice warm luster that I wouldn't really call high gloss.

Jim Burr
05-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Formbys Tung oil finish is good...comes in a low gloss finish. Once cured, it's food safe.

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Jake I use Mahoney's walnut oil. It gives a low lustre and is food safe. I haven't had any problems with allergy problems because of his process.

Jim Sebring
05-12-2011, 1:20 AM
I like "Masters Magic" satin lacquer in the rattle can. It has the most solids I've seen in a spray lacquer. It's available from Craft Supplies.

John Hart
05-12-2011, 5:31 AM
I do the same as Scott....lacquer and steel wool....but not the wax....but I will do a little buffing til I'm happy.

John Keeton
05-12-2011, 6:54 AM
While I think the walnut oil produces a nice soft luster, the more I hear of nut allergies, the more concerned I would be about putting that risk out there. I think I would lean toward something else if I were giving them away or selling them to others not knowing who might come in contact with it. The resulting reaction could be serious.

Prashun Patel
05-12-2011, 8:49 AM
I've lately been spraying my bowls with Deft Finish (lacquer). So easy, and almost impossible to mess it up. I have not tried the Minwax spray lacquer, but I'd bet it performs similarly. If you have a bunch to do, this is the easiest finish to apply. No mess, dries within minutes, available in any sheen, and can be rubbed easily with steel wool (although you might not even need to do that).

Russ Denz
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Waterlox also makes a satin finish topcoat, and while I have not used it on any turnings, it's beautiful, and lustrous on flatwork. It also retains all the same protective & food-safe qualities of the other Waterlox finishes - just a thought that might be just what you're looking for.

Bob Bergstrom
05-12-2011, 1:51 PM
I would just let the waterlox cure and hit it lightly with the oooo steel wool. It will cut back the gloss to a nice schean.