PDA

View Full Version : Its Done - Burn Barrel Resurrection #2

Dick Wilson
05-11-2011, 8:10 PM
Hi, I posted a picture earlier of a piece I was working on trying to decide the finial and base. I really liked the suggestion by Scott Hackler about toning down the gold and used John Keeton's suggestion of using black. I also took John's suggestion to flair out the bottom more. I decided not to make a four legged base again. Man what a difference. I have included the before and after pics. Photos still suck but one of these days I am going to re-do my photo set up. What do ya think? By the way it is BURGANDY not pink!!!!194361

John Hart
05-11-2011, 8:13 PM
Yeah...I like what you did with it, Dick. I wasn't too crazy about it before and was interested how Scott's suggestion would pan out. Looks much better.

John Keeton
05-11-2011, 8:14 PM
Dick, I think it is a major improvement - both the base and the tonation on the color. And, the lack of flash on the pic helps, too. Worth the effort!!

David E Keller
05-11-2011, 8:21 PM
I think it's an improvement, Dick. The gold regions have a nice, aged look to them now. Now about the pink...:p:D

Scott Hackler
05-11-2011, 9:10 PM
Looks MUCH better to me!!! I am a little torn on the "boldness" of the pink but its not a deal killer. I think in experimenting with colors like that I would tend to sand it back a bit and maybe even apply a stain over the pink. I always lean towards a dominate showing of grain. Don't really know without experimenting but non the less you made a good deal of improving the piece.

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Well worth the effort! I like the antiqued look of the gold areas but still not 100% on the in-your-face pink. Can't help but wonder if it would look better if it were antiqued also - or had some type of embellished finish - like a crackle effect or something to give the pink color some depth.

Dick Wilson
05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Looks MUCH better to me!!! I am a little torn on the "boldness" of the pink but its not a deal killer. I think in experimenting with colors like that I would tend to sand it back a bit and maybe even apply a stain over the pink. I always lean towards a dominate showing of grain. Don't really know without experimenting but non the less you made a good deal of improving the piece.

Scott, The pink is because of my photography skills ( non-existent). It is actually burgandy not pink.

Dan Forman
05-12-2011, 4:12 AM
I think your tinkering made an improvement as well, especially the pedestal.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I like what you did Dick. Looks really nice.

Baxter Smith
05-12-2011, 11:03 AM
An improvement I think. I like the gold but the pink/burgundy is a little striking!:)