PDA

View Full Version : Evil Monkey...or Ninja Turtle

Jim Burr
05-11-2011, 7:41 PM
Some Mike Smith ambrosya maple. This sat on the lathe for over a week for lack of inspiration. Bone dry so no DNA time. Duplicate of a Zuni pot...except for the color;) Shape isn't my favorite, but I can say it's out of my system. 6" tall 5" wide with 1/8" wall. I still may take 1/16" of the foot...just wanted some lift. 4 coats of Formbys Tung oil finish, knocked down with some 0000 steel wool after 3rd and 4th coat.

C&C used on the next one.

John Keeton
05-11-2011, 7:48 PM
Jim, I really enjoy working with ambrosia maple - just lots of character. I kind of like the form, but I do think it would benefit with a little less foot. Nice work!

Michael James
05-11-2011, 7:58 PM
Beautiful wood, and a great finish. Personally I would agree with a foot shave. You know on these forms, some just don't translate over to wood all that well. My sis threw a pot in the 80's and I want to copy that design, and Im sure I could get it spot on and get lots of design feedback. But you never know until you try, eh?
mj

David E Keller
05-11-2011, 8:09 PM
I see 'happy frog', so I guess I'm closer to the ninja turtle camp. I like the form, but the curve seems to straighten out a bit near the opening. I don't know anything about the inspiration pot, and it may be the same way... It seems like a little outward return near the opening might allow you too keep the curve flowing around the piece. I agree with your consideration to shrink or lose the foot(surprise, surprise, huh?). It's definitely pretty wood... I'm starting to think this Smith guy doesn't have any ugly stuff!

John Hart
05-11-2011, 8:10 PM
Well...I hate to be the party pooper, but I kinda like it....lift and all.

I know...there's something seriously wrong with me.

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 8:10 PM
Evil Ninja Monkey? I kinda like the foot. It makes it look like it's floating. The shape might not be the greatest but it's perfect for a Ninja Turtle head!

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2011, 9:57 PM
Really nice Jim. I like the lift or floating look.

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow - a ninja turtle! First time I think I have seen one of those on this site! Cool!

Jim Burr
05-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys! I think the foot needs to come down a bit, I left it that tall because I didn't want to have a blob on the floor.

"I like the form, but the curve seems to straighten out a bit near the opening. I don't know anything about the inspiration pot, and it may be the same way... It seems like a little outward return near the opening might allow you too keep the curve flowing around the piece."

I thought about that to doc...I just wanted to stick to the form, but I agree a flair would have been nice.

Johnny Taylor
05-12-2011, 3:29 AM
Definitely a Ninja Turtle! Thats so cool, lol. Its always good when the wood is hiding something! I agree about the foot, it needs a bit off.

Dan Forman
05-12-2011, 3:55 AM
Looks like a Rorschach pot to me. :D Those little beetles added a lot of interest to this piece.

Dan

Dan Hintz
05-12-2011, 6:49 AM
Evil Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle...

Jim Adkins
05-12-2011, 10:34 AM
That Jim.....That's Chocolate! foot might be a tad big but it's done & it stands
on it own...smily Ninja Turtle and all!!

Other Jim

Baxter Smith
05-12-2011, 11:09 AM
A smile or a sleeping frown depending on the way you face it!:)

jwjerry w kowalski
05-12-2011, 7:49 PM
Ha, ha , ha, yeah that does look like a ninja turtle, I really like ambrosia maple, it's a beautiful wood.