PDA

View Full Version : My First Trip in the Fast "LN"

John Dingman
02-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I have looked in amazement at some of the tools that sell on online auctions and how much they go for :eek: I have been trying to get a set of Stanley 98/99 Side Rabbet Planes but I kept getting outbid or I thought to myself, "for that price I could buy new." So that's what I did. And these are the ones I picked up:

http://www.finetoolj.com/ln/images/lnwebpageimages/LN98-99.jpg

It was my first opportunity to deal with Clarence and he was everything you guys built him up to be. And with the no shipping, it sweetened the deal all the more. ("Look Honey.....No Shipping!") ;) They came in the other day and I had a chance to use them to adjust a fit and these are splendid little buggers. Nicely made too I might add. At the price it took all I had to pull the trigger, but now that I have them and have had a chance to use them, I'm glad I did it.

Have a great Day!
John

James Mittlefehldt
02-05-2005, 1:33 PM
They look great John, I have a Stanley 98 I bought at auction for $15. but I have to say they are a lot prettier. Good going.

Geoff Irvine
02-05-2005, 3:19 PM
G'day John,
Couldn't agree with you more- why pay the prices that a lot of the older tools are fetching when you have something that is virtually ready to go out of the box - no lapping etcetera. I have to give it to that Mr LN he makes one hell of a tool. I'm only looking to fill the gaps that he doesn't cover ergo the No45 that was my most recent aquisition. His chisels - bevel and mortise- are little rippers and worth every penny.
Hope you have many years of satisfaction with thesehttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mark Singer
02-05-2005, 3:41 PM
John,

I think the current value is, as you stated in the new quality hand tools....This will not be your last LN purhase... For the life of me , I don't understand people paying $75 for old 750 qnd 720 chisels...the new LN are better, harder and you can buy a set...not onesy twosy:rolleyes:

Shawn Swafford
02-05-2005, 3:59 PM
John, nice looking tools! I bough my plane from Clarence as well. The free shipping helps out a bunch. I struggled on buying my block plane as well. I do think the LN tools are worth the $. Congrats!

Tom LaRussa
02-05-2005, 6:53 PM
I have looked in amazement at some of the tools that sell on online auctions and how much they go for :eek: I have been trying to get a set of Stanley 98/99 Side Rabbet Planes but I kept getting outbid or I thought to myself, "for that price I could buy new." So that's what I did. And these are the ones I picked up:

John,

Double, (or perhaps triple?), congratulations!

Congrats #1 & #2 are for the lovely little planes.

Congrats #2 is for the fact that when you got "cured" of your tool-buying mania you didn't get too cured. :p

BTW, what exactly makes a plane a side-rabbet plane, as opposed to a rabbet plane used on its side?