PDA

View Full Version : Guess my Gloat 2....a day at the Ontario WW Show

Mark Singer
02-05-2005, 9:59 AM
Yesterday I met Gene Collison at the Ontario Wood working Show. Gene made a couple of purchases and ...yes he twisted my arm and I bought a couple of things....all my purchases were at "The Fine Tool Journal"...that is the hint...4 are old, 2 new, ....of the new ones one is flat, and one is small and cute;)

Jim Becker
02-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Let me quess...woodworking "calorie burners" without tails... :D See, you should have hooked up with my Dr SWMBO and her cronies while they were passing through. It might have been less costly. Umm. Ok. Maybe not... :D

Gene Collison
02-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Yesterday I met Gene Collison at the Ontario Wood working Show. Gene made a couple of purchases and ...yes he twisted my arm and I bought a couple of things....all my purchases were at "The Fine Tool Journal"...that is the hint...4 are old, 2 new, ....of the new ones one is flat, and one is small and cute;)

Actually Mark, on twisting the arm, it was more of a gentle tweak than anything. First thing Mark said was where is the LN booth? hehehe Fun meeting with a master class woodworker! Can't help but learn things from this guy just being around him.

Gene

Mark Singer
02-05-2005, 11:40 AM
Well,

Gene knows his stuff! He always has good recommendations...he was instumental in my veritas LA Jack and my LN Chisels that are exquisite! How could I tour the show and not be influenced. So he talkes me into this cute Bronze thing....and I agree...the plastic cards that line my wallet are handy and a bit too easy to reach for...So our next stop is a Frank Klausz demonstration...people bring their tools and he sharpens and tunes them ...He was using the Shapton stones 1000, 5000, and 15000. and free honing without a jig. He testing board was a piece of sasafrass ...the shaving were fragrant...Wouldn't you know it , right at his side is his favorite little plane the exact one Gene talked me into.... Frank is using it as a smoother on the face, with no blade laps apparent! A great choice!
A previous stop took us to Lee Valley's booth, where Gene had to instruct the Lee Valley Instructor on the correct proceedure for using the Mark II sharpener...Gene knew a lot more about the machine and got a much better edge than the Lee Valley Pro...until the guy said to me and Gene..."He should be working here"
It was fun....a lot of "slice and dice" booths and some very nice tools...We only really looked seriously at the handtools and that was where the $$$ were dropped.

John Miliunas
02-05-2005, 11:24 PM
OK, so now I've heard from both, Mark & Gene. Two, long-time members of SMC. Really, wouldn't one think these guys would know the rules by now?!:eek: :confused: It just don't happen without pics to back it up!!! You guys oughta' be ashamed of yourselves. I just don't get it; Give them examples, lecture to them, any number of instructions for "how to do it" are out there, but yet, they insist on just teasing us.:mad: First, you're penalized for obviously having way, WAY too much fun! Secondly, both are barred from each one's respective shops for not abiding by the "Creeker Visit Pics" rule, as well as the "New Tool Gloat Pic" rule! One day of "no shop" per violation! Let's see, Gene had a couple and if my figures are correct, Mark's count is at six! :p Let this be a lesson to all! Keeeeripes, where are those picture police when you really need them?!:) (Uh, knowing the both of you, I'm sure you picked up on some nice stuff and sounds like you had a great time doing it, too!):D :cool:

Corvin Alstot
02-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Well,
So he talkes me into this cute Bronze thing....
I am thinking a LN 102.
I would think you would have been tempted by the Shapton's too.

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 9:26 AM
Corvin (Corbu)

You are 100 % correct.....One item is a cute LN 102....keep going.....
Gene and I already have the Shaptons,sorry

John,
Trust ,a word which long term members should enjoy is missing in your vocabulary...Trust....if I take a picture what is left to guess? As you can see by the number of Posts this is a very popular game (yeah wow!) why should I ruin it for all the members that are in line waiting to guess????:cool:

However these treats are photogenic and low carb....no fat...I think I might give you a couple of pics.

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 3:28 PM
John....Nah! Nah Nah!I told you! No trust! Don't ask me how many planes or chisels I have!:o

Oh That is a partial set of Stanley 720's paring chisels...not as nice as the LN's

Gene Collison
02-06-2005, 5:56 PM
OK, so now I've heard from both, Mark & Gene. Two, long-time members of SMC. Really, wouldn't one think these guys would know the rules by now?!:eek: :confused: It just don't happen without pics to back it up!!! You guys oughta' be ashamed of yourselves. I just don't get it; Give them examples, lecture to them, any number of instructions for "how to do it" are out there, but yet, they insist on just teasing us.:mad: First, you're penalized for obviously having way, WAY too much fun! Secondly, both are barred from each one's respective shops for not abiding by the "Creeker Visit Pics" rule, as well as the "New Tool Gloat Pic" rule! One day of "no shop" per violation! Let's see, Gene had a couple and if my figures are correct, Mark's count is at six! :p Let this be a lesson to all! Keeeeripes, where are those picture police when you really need them?!:) (Uh, knowing the both of you, I'm sure you picked up on some nice stuff and sounds like you had a great time doing it, too!):D :cool:

John,

This is one thing I bought. How do you like it?

Gene

Jim Becker
02-06-2005, 6:09 PM
Needs a "little off the top", Gene... ;)

Mark Singer
02-06-2005, 7:38 PM
Gene, I told you to give it a second chance!

John,

This is one thing I bought. How do you like it?

Gene

Gene Collison
02-06-2005, 8:28 PM
Gene, I told you to give it a second chance!

Mark,

It looks like this one is going to stick around. One side benefit of the Veritas MK11 is that I didn't have to remove the little blade adjuster plate to hone the blade. I like that!:)

Gene

Wes Newman
02-07-2005, 8:33 AM
Gene, Did all of the planes at the show have that cute bow on top?

Alan Turner
02-07-2005, 9:16 AM
Mark,
Nice score on the 720's. I find myself using my paring chisels more and more for a viariety of tasks. Put them on that Tormek to get your 20 degree angle, and don't be tempted to steepen the bevel; just take lighter cuts.
Alan

Mark Singer
02-07-2005, 9:27 AM
I have them at about 25 degrees right now! The steel seems very good...not like the LN's though
Mark,
Nice score on the 720's. I find myself using my paring chisels more and more for a viariety of tasks. Put them on that Tormek to get your 20 degree angle, and don't be tempted to steepen the bevel; just take lighter cuts.
Alan

John Renzetti
02-07-2005, 9:51 AM
Hi Gene, That is a great picture of the L-N and all the fine shavings.
You know for all the big light dimming power hunger machines some of us have, there is always a great feeling when using a fine hand tool. Or just sitting down and putting a fine edge on the blade.
take care,
John

Gene Collison
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi Gene, That is a great picture of the L-N and all the fine shavings.
You know for all the big light dimming power hunger machines some of us have, there is always a great feeling when using a fine hand tool. Or just sitting down and putting a fine edge on the blade.
take care,
John

John,

That's really what it's all about is that great feeling provided by a fine hand tool like a L-N plane. It just isn't the same with the tailed tools.:)

Gene

Gene Collison
02-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Gene, Did all of the planes at the show have that cute bow on top?

Wes, I think the bow is a L-N trademark of sorts.:):)

Gene