PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Gloat and Question

Tony West
05-11-2011, 2:44 PM
I just picked up a very lightly used Grizzly G1073 16" Bandsaw. It was an awesome buy, full cast frame, cast wheels, the thing is a tank!

I now have to buy new blades, since my 14" blades won't work on the new saw. I would like to pick up 3 blades to start. I would like to have a resaw blade, a general purpose blade (larger curves, ripping rough wood to width), and a finer blade for tighter curves.

The saw is rated for 1/8" to 1" blades and has double roller bearing guides. What recommendations does the group have for my first 3 blades to buy?

Also, very confused on what a hook, raker, alternate set, etc. means. Any help would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Matthews
05-11-2011, 4:39 PM
http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=34055

I followed his instruction (getting the blade to ride the TDC crown was first) and bought a 1/2" 3 tpi skip tooth blade. This does most everything for me, as I don't cut scrollwork.

The notion that gullets are the dust clearance part of the blade was an eye opener.

It was a paradigm shift to realize that FEWer teeth lead to smoother cuts for me.

I had my local Rockler affiliate make up a basic blade for $22!

Jim Rimmer
05-11-2011, 4:43 PM
Check this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!

Bill Bukovec
05-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I contacted Suffolk Machinery and they send me a very nice catalog for their blades.

The catalog states which blade is designed for specific functions.

That saved me from doing the research.

I bought three blades, one for green wood, one for rewawing dried stock, and one for general curve cutting.

I can easily cut 14" thick green white oak with no problem. (It helps to have a 3 HP motor too)

The shipping was fast I was happy with the blades.

Bill

Josiah Bartlett
05-13-2011, 1:52 PM
I use the 1/2" woodslicer type blade for resaw on my 16" Walker-Turner saw and I get great results with it. In my opinion, 1" is too wide for a 16" saw. Not so much due to the width, but due to the bend radius of the wheels versus the thickness of most 1" blades. I have a 3 horsepower motor and I can pretty much shove black walnut through it with impunity.

John Tallyn
05-13-2011, 4:55 PM
I"m pretty much sold on using Suffolk Machinery's blades, give em a call, their reps will discuss what works best for your saw, and the types of work you do.
John

Phil Thien
05-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Call Iturra. Best welds.

I've never heard a single complaint about Iturra welds. Yet I've seen numerous about the Suffolk blades.

Joseph Tarantino
05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Call Iturra. Best welds.

I've never heard a single complaint about Iturra welds. Yet I've seen numerous about the Suffolk blades.

+1. had 4 brand new timberwolfs with defective welds. not until phil turned me onto iturra, and lou sent me a 1/2" lennox, was a blade loping problem remedied. the folks at suffolk are very nice and well tentioned, but the blades i got just weren't up to par.