PDA

View Full Version : Ahab's Revenge

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 2:30 PM
I have "quite a few" lathe tools. Most of what I have came with the lathe and they are decent quality Sorby tools. I also have a 1/2" "Bob Stocksdale Signature" bowl gouge and two very heavy round nose scrapers that are badged "Turnmaster". All three of these were made by Jerry Glaser in the mid 1980's and are probably my most often used tools But I have really wanted a 5/8" harpoon and when I saw that the Glaser tools were "back" I began to experience that old feeling of need.

Now I realize that this is pretty much "Thompson country" around here and I sure don't want to start any range wars! But I could not resist "pulling the trigger" on this which showed up on my doorstep this morning. It's got my name on it and it's even spelled correctly!!

Tim Rinehart
05-11-2011, 2:32 PM
Wow, did the gouge fairy bring that to you for being such a good boy!! Hmmm, what did you have to put under your pillow for that!
Pretty cool. Be sure to let all know how it works in practice.

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 2:47 PM
"...let all know how it works in practice..."

Well, I got this big old walnut blank from Tony DeMassi a while back so I'm thinking this might be the time for me to attempt a "real bowl"!

John Hart
05-11-2011, 3:20 PM
Pretty nice. I like the hefty look of the handle. Looks like a high leverage environment.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-11-2011, 3:32 PM
Don't feel any remorse for buying a quality tool even though you did not buy it from our good friend and SMC supporter, Dougy. You shouldn't even regret the choice despite Doug telling me he admires your work and would love to be able to say you use his tools. Even his poor old bloodhound, Chris O' Foro's wailing should not bother you. He doesn't really know why Doug is so sad, he just knows he is.

I'm not sure you recognize Ruggiero as Italian, but I was raised on guilt and every once in a while I like to see if I learned anything. I guess not because I really wish you years of fun and good results with your new tool. I've liked the shape of the handle from the time I saw Raffan use one in a DVD. I am sure the steel is first class and now that you are using it, the tool will have more class. Let us know how you like it. I promise not to tell Doug if you like it.
faust

Steve Schlumpf
05-11-2011, 3:46 PM
Well one thing is for sure - that sure is pretty! Looking forward to hearing how you like using it!

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 3:47 PM
Oh I don't feel any remorse at all. Tools don't get any better than this. I am flattered to hear that Mr. Thompson like my work and I am fully aware that his products are held in vey high esteem. And yes, I did recognize the nationality and I was also raised to understand the value of guilt. I just got over it early!

Dale Miner
05-11-2011, 3:54 PM
Spelled your name correctly? I've never heard of such a thing!

Later,
Dale Miner, no, not minor, no, not meiner, no, not major, no.......

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 4:30 PM
"...no, not minor, no, not meiner..."

I thought it was Myner...

John Keeton
05-11-2011, 4:35 PM
Dale, they spelled his name straight off the check he sent them!!! It is easier to get it right that way.

DD, that is one fine looking tool, and Doug Thompson would probably agree. And, we understand that being on the west coast, you must feel compelled to keep the California economy afloat, and to that end, your purchase from a CA based company is forgiveable!!

Tim Rinehart
05-11-2011, 4:56 PM
David,
Did you have any discussions with them over the 10V vs 15V choice, or was it more wanting to stick with appears to be original recipe material and handle color? Just curious. I see the same gouges available as either 10V or 15V, with 15V carrying a premium for higher vanadium content.

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 5:12 PM
"Did you have any discussions with them over the 10V vs 15V choice..."

No. That is all way over my head! I did not really think about having more "V's" in my steel! You gotta talk to those tool guys about that stuff. I've already stuck this harpoon into some wood and from my first impressions, those extra five V's could only be an improvement if they held the gouge for me!

David E Keller
05-11-2011, 7:38 PM
Anybody that can spell your name right has earned your business... If I ever get an engraved handle, I'm going with the name off the wallet in Pulp Fiction.

Looks like a nice piece of hardware!

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 8:19 PM
"If I ever get an engraved handle, I'm going with the name off the wallet in Pulp Fiction."

I was thinking about "Leroy". Then I thought that since in my next life I am going to be a swami named Bagwan Rashneesh, I might go with that. But I failed to act quickly enough on the thought and before I knew it, the gouge was at my door with my current name on it. Guess it was meant to be...

philip labre
05-11-2011, 9:10 PM
Nice!!! Looking forward to your review.

Scott Hackler
05-11-2011, 9:17 PM
Anybody that can spell your name right has earned your business... If I ever get an engraved handle, I'm going with the name off the wallet in Pulp Fiction.

Looks like a nice piece of hardware!

I love that idea, but I doubt my wife would find the humor in it.... (LOVE THAT MOVIE!)

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2011, 9:59 PM
Good looking tool and the handle looks hefty.

David DeCristoforo
05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
"...the handle looks hefty...."

And heavy too! It's filled with steel shot which can be added to or removed to "adjust" the balance.

Bill Blasic
05-12-2011, 8:15 AM
David,
I believe that your new handle is filled with lead shot. The thing that sort of bothers me about the adjust ability of that handle is when you take lead out you now have lead that moves as you use the handle thus changing the balance point as you use it. Also lead is a health hazard so be careful handling it.
Bill

Tim Rinehart
05-12-2011, 8:33 AM
David,
I believe that your new handle is filled with lead shot. The thing that sort of bothers me about the adjust ability of that handle is when you take lead out you now have lead that moves as you use the handle thus changing the balance point as you use it. Also lead is a health hazard so be careful handling it.
Bill
I haven't used one of these with the shot inside, but would think it would be a matter of simply making a wooden plug of appropriate length/diam to fill the void at either the top or bottom...or both, depending on how you like balanced.

bob svoboda
05-12-2011, 8:56 AM
David. Congrat's on a nifty looking tool. Glad there was enough room to get your name on without abbreviating.

David DeCristoforo
05-12-2011, 9:33 AM
David,
Bill

You are correct. Here is a quote lifted form the Glaser Hitec web site

“Aluminum extruded handles when filled with lead have much greater vibration resistance than wood. This concept made the tool practically vibration free, and the added mass gave it much more stability. The vibration that is generated at the top of the tool when it’s cutting is transferred down the length of the tool where it is again transferred to the lead shot. Since the shot is not packed tightly, it will begin to resonate. If you could x-ray the handle while turning a bowl blank, you would see some incredible buck shot gyrations.” Lead shot is a dense, relatively soft, malleable metal with “low tensile” strength and it has been proven to have excellent vibration-dampening characteristics”…
REMEMBER Your tool handle should NOT be a weight ballast. The purpose of “lead shot” is to provide tool leverage and counteract vibration, which consequently reduces fatigue. Steel shot will most definitely INCREASE the handle vibration.

This might be a good candidate for one of those "hair splitting" technical discussions that pop up on the Creek on a fairly regular basis. Let the battle begin!

PS I will be VERY CAREFUL not to eat any of the lead shot!

PPS I hope you don't go fishing!!!

David DeCristoforo
05-12-2011, 9:34 AM
"...Glad there was enough room to get your name on without abbreviating..."

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Tony De Masi
05-12-2011, 6:46 PM
Looking forward to how you like that tool David and congrats on the purchase. It's about time you got to that walnut but I understand it''s not really intended for the artsy fartsy stuff you like to show us. A bowl should be a piece of cake for you, or will it?????

P.S. "De Masi" on has one "s":D

David DeCristoforo
05-12-2011, 7:01 PM
"A bowl should be a piece of cake for you, or will it?????"

Well there is the question! Maybe I'll have to try a bowl with three rims or stick it up on a giant pedestal or something. That chunk of walnut you sent could only be a bowl so a bowl it will be, one way or the other!

Curt Fuller
05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't know how you're going to do it, but the first piece you turn with this is going to have to have some kind of reference to Moby Dick. I just hope you survive.

Vince Welch
05-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Hi David,
Congrads on your new tool. How long did it take for you to recieve your tool from the time you ordered your tool?

Vince

David DeCristoforo
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
"How long did it take for you to recieve your tool..."

A few days. Ordered it on Friday... on my doorstep on the following Wednesday...

"...the first piece you turn with this is going to have to have some kind of reference to Moby Dick..."

I'm workin' on that...

Cathy Schaewe
05-13-2011, 9:10 PM
since in my next life I am going to be a swami named Bagwan Rashneesh...

I've had a lot of difficulties with the in-laws this week - he has dementia, she's just plain difficult - and they live with us - and I've been pulling my hair out. Now I know I just have to look forward to what comes next. Maybe I'll be Nawgab Sheenshar. Anyway. This made me laugh pretty good - thanks!!!!!!!!

Cathy Schaewe
05-13-2011, 9:11 PM
"How long did it take for you to recieve your tool..."

A few days. Ordered it on Friday... on my doorstep on the following Wednesday...

"...the first piece you turn with this is going to have to have some kind of reference to Moby Dick..."

I'm workin' on that...

Hm. Once again I'm stifled by the fact that this is a family forum .....

Roger Chandler
05-13-2011, 9:29 PM
Hm. Once again I'm stifled by the fact that this is a family forum .....

I do believe that Your Honor has placed a gag order upon herself! :eek::D:D;):)

Baxter Smith
05-13-2011, 9:31 PM

I'm workin' on that...

I figured that since he turns in a tent in California, he probably wears sandles or flipflops and was trying not to drop it on his foot.:)

David DeCristoforo
05-14-2011, 9:51 AM
"...I'm stifled by the fact that this is a family forum..."

Ah... er....umm... well... never mind...

"...since he turns in a tent in California, he probably wears sandles or flipflops..."

Actually I don't . In the winter I wear boots but in the summer I don't wear shoes at all if I can help it. It's not about being in California either. I have always gone barefoot whenever possible. Always been like that. But one way or the other, one would not want to drop this gouge on one's foot!

Now.. a very special and heartfelt apology to Tony who has had to endure, once again, the indignity of the extra "s". One "s" is enough for any man. Sorry Tony....