PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Crotch--bowl

Gary Max
02-05-2005, 7:53 AM
Had to wait on a phone call yesterday afternoon so I could not run the planer.
Sounds like a good excuse to turn the lathe on to me.
2 inches thick 9X7 wide and long. This is a fork or Crotch of a walnut tree.
This is about as big of a off-center piece as I can turn on my lathe--Delta 46-715.
It has one coat of Polly on, in the pic.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-05-2005, 8:16 AM
That looks neat! I love the wings and the natural form to it. Great way to spend otherwise wasted time! :)

Jerry Clark
02-05-2005, 9:03 AM
Great looking bowl, would look great on a coffee table.

Glenn Hodges
02-05-2005, 9:13 AM
This is definately a conversation piece, and a keeper.

Gary Max
02-05-2005, 9:58 AM
Thanks For all the kind words. Glenn I was turning this about the time you where getting first-aid for your boo-boo. Most folks have no ideal how easy it is to get hurt turning wood. Between wood blowing up--tools catching--and just one second mistakes. Anyhow--- hope the hand is doing better today.

Steve Inniss
02-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Gary, Great piece, I assume since you put poly on it that it was a dry piece you had available - had you sealed the ends (or more?)

Gary Max
02-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Steve this was cut last fall from a dead tree. The bark fell off it on it's own. Sealed in wax since then. After it came off the lathe I used a big drum sander with 50 grit paper to shape and contour everything in. After I get it shaped then I fine sand the edges. I did not want square anything. The first coat dried overnight and is now getting the second. This will be when the wood will tell if it is still wet. The polly will not set up right if it is still wet. We hand sand between each coat to make sure it is bonding with the wood. If it aint ready--the polly will either not dry or not stick.

Michael Stafford
02-07-2005, 1:05 PM
Gary, I don't know how this post slipped by me other than to say I must have been asleep at the stick, er, keyboard. :o

That is a wonderful piece and is like others have said a conversation piece. ;)