PDA

View Full Version : edge sanders

Rick Potter
05-11-2011, 5:25 AM
I have seen several edge sanders lately on CL, and am wondering how handy they might be. Obviously you can sand the edges of cabinet doors, and it looks like a good way to sand dovetailed drawers, but I would like to ask....what else do you use them for?

I have a hobbiest shop, and use it a lot. I already have a 6X48 belt sander with 12" disk. So, is an edge sander one of those tools you wonder how you got along without? Or is it something that just looks good because I have never used one?

What do you use them for in your shop?? Is a 108" belt a good size? That's a 3' table.
What brand is good for a hobbiest, not a huge commercial one. I have seen them for $300 and up, up, up.

Rick Potter

Rick Lizek
05-11-2011, 5:45 AM
You will wish you had one before and you will never use the 6 x 48 with disc sander again. The better ones oscillate but by slightly angling the table and sliding your piece you can get the same benefit which is better surface finish. Wide belt sanders have this oscillation feature which give a less linear scratch surface or a more blended scratch pattern for lack of a better explanation at the moment. The drum on the end is great for sanders curves. You can also break edges and do a radius or chamferon straight edges by tipping the panel and you slide it back and forth.

I would also take a stroke sander over a drum sander and even over a wide belt sander in many instances but that a whole different story.

Cary Falk
05-11-2011, 5:58 AM
Rick,
I bought a Jet OES-80C 6x89" oscillating edge sander about a year ago. I love it. I was disappointed in the finish of the table though. I expected Jet to grind it a little smoother. I must be spoiled by Grizzly. I had a Ridgid belt spindle combo before that. The belt would not track properly and the spindle was too short so I moved up. My complaint with a disc sander is that only about 1/4 of the disk is useful. Even with that you can't sand anything more then about a 4"x4" square piece. Since it does not osscilate you get sanding marksthat have to be taken out with more sanding. My complaint with the 6x48" belt is that most of the usable belt is verticle. If I have to sand something that tall to sand I wold prefer to lay it down to control it better. The disc belt combo does take up less room. What do I sand with it? Everything

Matt Meiser
05-11-2011, 7:48 AM
I bought a simple non-oscillating one for cost reasons a few years ago. It doesn't leave as nice a finish as the oscillating variety, but then again it was something like 1/2 the price at the time. Mine's a Grizzly, the one with the laminated table which is my only disappointment due to the fact that it has warped/sagged. I need to add some cleats to the bottom to make it flat again. Not as bad as a warped cast table, and I like that the table is larger so I guess that's the price I pay (or didn't pay for as the case may be.) I think the price gap between the Jet Cary has and the Grizzly I have has closed some so if I still couldn't find something used, I'd probably consider the Jet today.

My 6x80 was a tad of a stretch for some 42" tall doors but I made it work. I think if the table angled side-side like some of the more expensive commercial shop units it would have worked fine on those too. Mostly it was the top and bottoms of the doors that needed edge sanding to flush up cope/stick joints. The sides just got a quick sanding to remove any saw marks.

I sold my belt/disc sander after buying an edge sander because there wasn't really anything the belt/disc did for me that the edge sander won't.

David Kumm
05-11-2011, 9:57 AM
Recently got my Oakley up and running and am quickly wondering how I lived without it. My 24" disc sander was my go to machine but am finding the edge with the oscillation is even more handy. The non oscillation gives a good finish but once you go the oscillation route you won't go back. Oakley h36 and wysong 315 are great old machines. I can't speak for the new stuff. Makle sure it is heavily built so the table doesn't move and the platen is sturdy. Dave

Chris Fournier
05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
It's a good machine for sanding door edges but I think the disc sander is much better for sanding curved profiles. I have both and wouldn't part with either but the edge sander is a bit of a one trick pony in my opinion.

You might not think it but it can be pretty dangerous as it likes to grab and throw things. You won't lose a finger but you can get some pretty nasty abrasions. The disc sander is much friendlier to the operator.

Ryan Hellmer
05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I totally disagree, the only machine to use for convex curves is an edge sander (I like my oscillating spindle for concave stuff). Particularly if they are large pieces. I've never understood the wonderlust with 6x48x9 combo sanders. I've always just wanted to tip mine up on edge. Shop notes had an article on how to build one a while back. It used a 6x89" belt. I've toyed with the idea of using my stock of 6x48" belts and making a mini edge sander. For a couple years craftsman actually made one, but I haven't seen them lately.

Ryan

Harvey Melvin Richards
05-11-2011, 3:25 PM
I have a homemade 4 X 132 that I bought at an auction 20+ years ago. I upgraded the drive drum and got one that's rubber coated. I had an idler pulley made by a place in Oregon. The idler has a taper to the middle, and the taper doesn't exactly follow the centerline of the idler. Because of this the belt oscillates about 1/2".

As far as it's usefulness, it can't be beat for edges on long items, like doors and shelves. It's also great for straight items like chair and table legs and spindles. I use mine a lot on convex curves, and I can use the rubber coated drive drum for convex curves larger than it's diameter.

Bob Falk
05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
I bought a nice Powermatic edgesander (6x80, nonossilating) for $400 on CL recently......they originally sold for $1000 or so.....so, $400-$500 would seem a good price, IMHO. I looked at a lot of the commercial machines, but they were just too darn heavy (and usually 3 phase). bob

Callan Campbell
05-12-2011, 12:13 PM
QUOTE=Ryan Hellmer;1701285]I I've never understood the wonderlust with 6x48x9 combo sanders. I've always just wanted to tip mine up on edge.
Ryan[/QUOTE]
Hey, wait a minute, as one of those 6x48" combo machine owners, I don't LUST after my machine, but I DO like it.... :D
Seriously though, Ryan, it's probably one of those things where if MORE edge sanders were around for people to see and use, they might displace the more common Combo machines for alot of people.
I actually rarely use the Disc on my Grizzly, and yet there are scores of people who would NEVER give up a good Disc sander if they had to. Your post echos what others have written about edge sanders here on the Creek, so there must be something to it...;););)
My single biggest issue with an Edge Sander at the moment is not enough space in my shop for one. So, a smaller, vertical Combo machine still gets the job done for the time being. That could also be an issue for other small shop users, as all that horizontal space for an Edge Sander might be harder to come by.

Steve Kohn
05-12-2011, 10:16 PM
I bought a simple non-oscillating Powermatic 6X89 unit off CL about 18 months ago. 8 months later I sold by 6X48/12 inch combo sander 'cuz' I wasn't using it any more. Everything went onto the edge sander. It was so much easier to use.

I did do one modification to the machine. To hold the table at a slight angle I drilled some holes in the sides of the machine that hold the table and mounted snap-lock (probably the wrong name) pins. This allows me to move each end of the table by 1/2 inch increments to even out the wear on the belt.

ed vitanovec
05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I have a Woodtech 6 x 89 with a 1.5 hp motor, same machine as Powermatic and Jet. I really like it and has been really handy, I did sell my 6 x 48 belt / 12" disc sander.
It will remove a lot of material very fast, dust collection is recommended. I have learned to use it on small pieces, need to be very careful since they will shoot out of your hands real fast.

Regards!
Ed

Stephen Cherry
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I got a vega oscilating 6x132 for about 400 bucks from fleabay, including a bunch of belts.

Works great- tapered table legs are very easy.

Mike Heidrick
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
You stole that Vega. I paid double that and drove 12 hours RT to get it. I am still very happy with that deal (thanks Richard!!).

I have a ton of 80 grit 3M industrial belts Stephen if you need any. I bought a case for a steal on ebay.

The Vega is the bar for new sub $2K oscillating sanders IMO. Once you see one in person and its 48" steel I-beam platen you will know why I say this. Still made in the US about 42 miles from me.

michael gates
05-13-2011, 6:56 AM
I have a 108" progress. They are great industrial grade sanders, very well made, long lasting with a baldor motor. They can be found used for a reasonable price.

I don't see the hype about oscillating, they still leave lines that need to be sanded out with a orbital.
I woulnt buy a new Asian version of the Progress as I have read way to many stories about the platen being warped.

Chris Fournier
05-13-2011, 8:21 AM
I think that the Progress sander is mostly a Canadian thing as they were made in Toronto. They are good machines. I machined some of the crown off of the idling roller and put a large guide bearing on the top of it so that I can use it for pattern sanding; this works quite nicely! I have use oscillating and non-oscillating machines and would have to agree that the finish off of either of them needs some hand work.

michael gates
05-13-2011, 8:59 AM
I think that the Progress sander is mostly a Canadian thing as they were made in Toronto. They are good machines. I machined some of the crown off of the idling roller and put a large guide bearing on the top of it so that I can use it for pattern sanding; this works quite nicely! I have use oscillating and non-oscillating machines and would have to agree that the finish off of either of them needs some hand work.

I don't know about the Canadian thing, Check out IRS auction site, there are a lot of big U.S companies that had them.
I use the IRS site to gauge products sometimes. I figure if the product was good enough for the big boys it should hold up for me.

Rick Potter
05-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Well, you guys talked me into it, twisted my arm. I had been looking at one on CL, and just made the deal. Haven't seen it yet, but the pic looks good. It's a Delta 6 X 108 oscillating unit that he says is like new, including extra belts, and a spindle sander kit. It is single phase, 3HP, and they go for $2400 new. The owner was kind enough to meet my price range, and we agreed on $850. He and his sons are also going to load it on my truck for me (500 #). Thank goodness for the HF winch in my garage.

I will post when I get it.

Rick Potter

michael gates
05-13-2011, 6:37 PM
those are nice sander's, you are going to love that. Reasonable price as well.