PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a tool...

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 9:59 PM
...but I don't know what it's called. I think what I want is a 'paring chisel'. I built an inlay piece with a trough around the inlay. I need to smooth the bottom of the trough. It's a little less than a 1/4" so I need, probably a 1/8" tool. As soon as I know the name of the tool I'll move over to the classifieds. What tool am I looking for?

Harlan Barnhart
05-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Maybe your looking for a router plane.

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Don't think it'd be a plane...but I'm new at this. I've got a piece of soapstone let into a small slab of mesquite. The stone is proud of the wood by about 1/4", so I'm not sure a plane would work. I left a little 'fence' of mesquite around the stone, to keep it in place while the glue set. I got most of it out, with a cheap bench chisel, but against the edge of the stone I've got a small ridge, that I'd like to remove. I'm working cross grain for the most part, so whatever the tool, it's got to be really sharp. The mesquite is 15YO air dried stock. I'll try to throw up a pic in the morning.

george wilson
05-10-2011, 10:36 PM
A very sharp router plane that you just use to take off thin cuts at a time will be what you need. Go to the FAQ section at the top of this forum. Look up my lion head violin neck. The background was all lowered with a little router plane I made,with a cutter 1/32" wide. And,that was in curly maple. Router planes are one tool that you have to learn how to use properly,or they will make a terrible mess. I hated them when I was a kid. I didn't sharpen them properly,and tried to take off too much at a pass.

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Hmm...p'raps it is a router plane I need then. George, I'll certainly look at the article you mentioned.
Thank you,

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
What could I expect to pay for a 'user' and what should I look out for when checking one out? I'm kind of like the FNG down here in the cave.

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Mr Wilson...I'm speechless. While I could see something like that made with knives and chisels, I would never have thought of a plane of any sort for that type of work. So much to learn...I started way too late.
BTW I worked with old carpenters in the SF Bay area. Old landlocked shipwrights that worked at preserving the old buildings that survived '06. While I was only a laborer, I watched, and on occasion helped. Mostly I carried totes filled with moulding planes. Some of the planes were unique to one house. It's only recently that my interest in hand work has re-emerged. I fear I have too much too learn, and not enough time to learn it.

Pam Niedermayer
05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
How about a photo of the inlay area(s)? It may be that you need a small router plane, like the Stanley 271 or what's offensively called an OWT (old widow's tooth).

Pam

Jim Neeley
05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Enjoy the journey of learning, Mickey.. It's a blast!! <g>

mickey cassiba
05-11-2011, 1:53 AM
Well then...the general consensus leans towards a router plane. And I thought I needed some sort of chisel. I suppose when I think I need a scoring knife, a back saw will be recommended. I am, of course being facetious. I will post a picture of my project tomorrow, when I can again borrow the camera(the neighbor and I have joint custody). The RPs I have seen at the tool vendor sites are quite out of my budget, and the local flea markets offer only cabrito and elote. And stolen power tools.
Any ideas as to where a poor white boy can come up on an inexpensive user?

Jim Koepke
05-11-2011, 2:15 AM
So much to learn...I started way too late.

Don't feel bad, I am retired and feel like I am just getting started.

Harry Strasil posted this and more about router planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?43115-Hand-Router-Tutoral

For some reason, it doesn't show the actual making of the router, but it isn't too difficult to figure from what is there. Found the rest of it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?119557-Simple-OWT-tutoral&highlight=woman's%20tooth

Here is another thread of his with a home spun router plane:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?138754-Inlay-with-hand-tools&p=1407298

I bought my router plane for less than $40 used. One of these days I will likely make one or more out of some scrap wood.

jtk

mickey cassiba
05-11-2011, 8:09 AM
Thank you Jim...I think I may give that a go. I have all the pieces and tools, sounds like an interesting project.

Ed Looney
05-11-2011, 9:15 AM
Pfeil makes what they call a dog leg chisel that may work for the application you described.

http://www.woodcarvingbiz.com/Special_Tools.htm

Ed

Chris Vandiver
05-11-2011, 4:09 PM
Hey Mickey,

Maybe something like this is the ticket(crank neck chisel).

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqV,!jME2HmI+CP7BNwG6Ucskw~~0_3.JPG

Jim Matthews
05-11-2011, 4:46 PM
The router plane is just a fixed chisel with a depth stop.

You can't cut the trough too deep, as the base limits the cut.

Steve Branam
05-12-2011, 6:35 AM
Don't feel bad, I am retired and feel like I am just getting started.

Harry Strasil posted this and more about router planes:

jtk

Heh, I thought I had scoured through all of Harry's nifty toolmaking posts, thanks for pointing these out, Jim! I like that tenon router plane.