PDA

View Full Version : Need some computer help

Jerry Bruette
05-10-2011, 7:55 PM
I did a system restore on my computer today and I've lost everything in the Favorites in IE. I didn't think I'd lose that information, is there a way to get it back?:confused:
Jerry

Chuck Wintle
05-10-2011, 8:10 PM
I did a system restore on my computer today and I've lost everything in the Favorites in IE. I didn't think I'd lose that information, is there a way to get it back?:confused:
Jerry

I am assuming that you never backed up your favorites?

Marc Ward
05-10-2011, 8:47 PM
Sign up for FoxMarks...great program, free too! Never lose your bookmarks again.

Jerry Bruette
05-10-2011, 9:08 PM
Well Chuck if'n I had the durn things backed up I wouldn't be lookin' for 'em now would I? No I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants as far as backups go. Losing my Favorites isn't life threatening just a PITA to replace them.

Jerry

Curt Harms
05-11-2011, 8:08 AM
Sign up for FoxMarks...great program, free too! Never lose your bookmarks again.
I think it's called Firefox Sync in Firefox 4 but yeah, especially if you use more than one machine.

Chuck Wintle
05-11-2011, 8:23 AM
Well Chuck if'n I had the durn things backed up I wouldn't be lookin' for 'em now would I? No I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants as far as backups go. Losing my Favorites isn't life threatening just a PITA to replace them.

Jerry

Jerry,
So very true...i did not mean to be trite in my response. Sorry. Look in "my documents" and you may find the favorites there...possibly.

Chuck Wintle
05-11-2011, 8:31 AM
or try this...
open the favorites menu on the right hand side next to the tab, in there next to the "Add A Favorite" drop down menu you'll see a little black arrow, in there you'll find and import/export option, just use that and point it to your favorites files!

Norris Randall
05-13-2011, 4:23 PM
I've never tried it but, when I do restore there is a line that indicates it can be undone if one so desires.
Have you tried that?

Bill Huber
05-14-2011, 9:55 AM
If you are talking about going back to a restore point that is one thing and some of your old data will be there.
If we are talking about restoring from a CD or DVD to the factory fresh system then none of your old data is there.

Jim O'Dell
05-14-2011, 7:59 PM
I use MozBackup for FireFox. It will work on any of the Mozilla derivatives. And on email programs like Thunderbird too. Real easy to recapture as long as, like Bill said, you don't do a restore from the OS DVD. In fact, when I built the new computer this Spring, I did the MozBackup on the old computer, put that drive in an external case, then restored to the new hard drive. Presto, there were my bookmarks and messages. In the past, I printed all my bookmarks out and reentered them by hand. Email wasn't as easy. Had to send them to the wife's computer, then send them back to mine. ;) Jim.

Jerry Bruette
05-14-2011, 9:37 PM
Well I found out that I had a virus.:mad: If you thought I was careless about backups, you'd probably say I'm stupid for running without any virus protection. :o

Installed Avast free version and did a scan and did away with the bug. Don't know if a system restore from restore point will get my stuff back or not. That's what I did earlier and my info didn't come back.

Should pay more attention to my signature line eh.

Jerry