PDA

View Full Version : Lost one of my biggest supporters and friend

Jeff Nicol
05-10-2011, 7:32 PM
As many of you know I have been having a lot of family health issues my own and others. But yesterday morning at 7a.m. we lost one of my biggest fans and supporter of my turnings. My 76 yr old FIL went to the big woodshop in the sky, he loved my turnings and would hold them in his big hands and study them and comment on the grain and finish and how they felt in his hands. As a lifelong woodworker who made things for all the kids and grandkids for birthday and Christmas gifts. He dabbled a bit in turning with his ShopSmith but never really got into it. He will be greatly missed by all, he stored some of his lumber in my shed and I will turn a few things and donate them to the church in his name as being a charitible soul was one of his greatest joys, so I will continue on for him.

I am thankful for all who have wished me well and encouraged me along the way, my wife and I had been spending a lot of time at their house keeping me out of the shop. So now I will have another guardian angel watching over me as I work.

Thank you everyone,

Jeff

Steve Vaughan
05-10-2011, 7:39 PM
Jeff, I'm really sorry to hear that. A huge loss, no doubt, but wonderful memories, for sure. And, when you turn some of that wood he has in your shed, how cool to bring back the good memories, and do something so meaningful to him, in his honor, as well. Prayerful...

Michael James
05-10-2011, 7:42 PM
Jeff, heartfelt sympathy and condolances from me and mine to you and yours. Loss never gets easier.
Michael

Roger Chandler
05-10-2011, 7:45 PM
Our sincere condolences to your family, Jeff. May God's peace and presence comfort you all in this time. Great idea to take his wood and use it to bless others..........he would be proud of you no doubt!

Richard Jones
05-10-2011, 7:59 PM
My dad passed away last July, but I still feel like he's in my shop watching me work, something he loved to do. Like your F-I-L, he didn't turn a lot, maybe a pen or two, just to give away, but he loved to hold a bowl in his hands and marvel at the complex grain.

I feel for you, Jeff, and my thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Richard Jones
Rice, VA

David E Keller
05-10-2011, 8:02 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Jeff. Sounds like turning and donating the wood is a great way to celebrate the life and legacy of a wonderful man.

Mark Hazelden
05-10-2011, 8:23 PM
I am sorry for your loss. Hold on to those good memories.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2011, 8:25 PM
Jeff,

My sincere condolences for the loss of your FIL.

Jim Burr
05-10-2011, 8:27 PM
God bless him Jeff...you are lucky to have that time with him!

David DeCristoforo
05-10-2011, 8:45 PM
Jeff

My FIL is ninety one and if he lives to be a hundred and ten, it will still be too soon to lose him (god willing I should live so long!). So sorry to hear of your loss. But it sounds like he has a permanent place in your heart and there he will live as long as you live...

Ciao
DD

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 8:47 PM
Jeff I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. Please extend our best wishes to your family! Y'all have been through so much. He's with the big guy now...and as you say, you've got another Angel on your shoulder.
Take a breath, and have a big family hug...
All the best...Mickey and Charlotte.

John Keeton
05-10-2011, 8:51 PM
Jeff, I know you have been going through a lot, and I do hope your wife is OK. Not only is this a big loss to you, but you will need to be there for her, as well. I pray that you and your family will have great memories and be blessed by the life lived by your FIL.

Scott Hackler
05-10-2011, 8:55 PM
Sorry for your (and expecially your wife's) loss. It's never easy when a loved one moves on. Cherish the memories you made with him.

Roland Martin
05-10-2011, 9:02 PM
My condolences to you and your wife for the loss of your FIL.

Baxter Smith
05-10-2011, 9:08 PM
My condolences to you and your family Jeff. My FIL was a welder and what little I know about metal work I learned from him. Having his welder and forge to use still keeps us connected.

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2011, 9:12 PM
Jeff - this is one of those times where words never seem to do justice to what you feel in your heart... Warm thoughts & prayers sent your way to help you and your family during this time. Your loss has touched us all.

John Hart
05-10-2011, 9:16 PM
Jeff, you have my deepest sympathies. The loss of a friend and mentor. It must leave an awful hole. He lives on in you.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2011, 9:53 PM
My condolences from the wife and I to you and yours. The memories will be there always. You have been blessed having a great FIL.

Dick Wilson
05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Sorry for you and your wife's loss. The very best to both of you

cal thelen
05-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Jeff I am sorry, Our sympathies to you and your family

Jeff Nicol
05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Thank you all for your prayers and warm thoughts, my wife is doing well and all he family is coming into town tomorrow and Thursday for the funeral so my wife was with her Mom and sisters getting everything figured out and organized. She likes to be busy and it has helped everyone get through these first few days, but I think the real grieving will take place after it all settles down. I talked on the phone so much today with ao many relatives remembering times and occasions, he was a big man about 6'5" and 260lbs with a solid white beard so he cut a big swath when he walked into a room, so that will be missed at holidays and other family gatherings.

On a happier note, our son and his wife are due to have a new son in July so with the passing of my FIL and the new life of another grandson for me starts a new circle of life.

One last thing before I run out of energy and hit the sack, we all thought that he donated all of his wood working tools to the CO-OP where they lived, but I guess he wanted me to have his router table and all the router bits and a big box of forstner bits. My wife brought them home tonight, so that was a wonderful suprise to keep him in my heart and in the shop forever!

Thanks again to a bunch of wonderful people, most of whom I have never met, but it feels like family when I am on the Creek!

Time for bed,

Jeff

patrick stein
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
jeff,

very sorry for your family's loss.

patrick

Don Alexander
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time

Harry Robinette
05-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Jeff
Lost my dad in 1982 I know he's in the shop with me,I keep a piece of wood that was left over in his shop in the corner of mine.It's been helpful for a little over 18 years .My sincere condolences on your family's lose. Our prayers are with you.
Harry

George Guadiane
05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Like the rest, I'm sorry for your loss,but glad you have such fond memories.

Steve Campbell
05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
so sorry to hear of your loss Jeff. When I lost my dad I got quit a few of his tools. You couldn't pay me enough to get any of them away me. I think of him every time I use them. I know that whatever you do with the wood it will have love in it too.
Good luck getting through the next few days, and congratulations on the upcoming new member of the family.

Steve

Ron Bontz
05-10-2011, 11:25 PM
My condolences to you and your family. Be thankful for all the good memories. Take care.

Doug W Swanson
05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Jeff,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers....

Sid Matheny
05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
There is not a lot to say except you have my condolences to you and your family. Some times it is hard to see the big picture in times like this but please know he is in a better place. My best wishes to you and your family.

Sid

James Combs
05-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Jeff, my condolences to you and your family, especially to your wife. Cherish the memories until you see him again.

Tim Thiebaut
05-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Jeff my condolences to you and your family, very sorry for you loss!

Dan Hintz
05-11-2011, 5:54 AM
My condolences to you and your family, Jeff. My father taught me a few things about woodworking, but the best gift he gave me was a passion for learning... so while he hasn't schooled me in anything for many years, the lessons continue every time I get near a tool.

Keith E Byrd
05-11-2011, 6:24 AM
Jeff,
My prayers go out to you and your family. Words never seem adequate at a time like this. You had a great realtionship and have great memories with your FIL -cherish them. The wood and the tools are irreplacable and everytime they get used you will remember. I have a box of very old lathe guage given by a family member and everytime I pick it up I think of Doug. Fond memories go a long ways.

philip labre
05-11-2011, 6:48 AM
My condolences, Jeff. Take care of the family and yourself.

bob svoboda
05-11-2011, 8:50 AM
Sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Tim Rinehart
05-11-2011, 8:51 AM
Jeff, it sounds like your FIL was one of the good ones who's stories will be told for sometime, and the legacy of the items he made for others will be cherished for many years.
Please extend mine and my familys sincerest prayers to you, your wife and all the family affected by the loss.
I think the tribute piece from some of his stored wood is a great plan, and one I'm sure you'll do justice to.

Alan Trout
05-11-2011, 9:12 AM
Jeff,

I am sorry for your loss. But memories will live forever. My prayers are with you and your family.

Alan

Cathy Schaewe
05-11-2011, 9:13 AM
I am so sorry, Jeff. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Brent Ring
05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Sympathies, Condolences and Prayers your way. Not Sure what your beliefs are but I am sure you will see him again!

mike ash
05-11-2011, 1:33 PM
Jeff - I want to add my name to the long list of your Creeker Friends who have given you their condolences. I see your story about the way your "FIL" loved to watch you making chips and to hold and feel your pieces of work is the true tale for how proud he was of your artistic skills. He continues to watch down with a smile upon you, and expects that you'll continue to pass on to others your love for crating wooden pieces.

Sincerely, Mike Ash

Kevin Stanbary
05-11-2011, 1:43 PM
Sorry for your loss Jeff.

Dan Forman
05-11-2011, 3:10 PM
Jeff---Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad he thought of leaving a bit of himself with you in the router table and wood, reminders of him and his good works. Pretty cool that he left the rest to the coop too, so that others there may continue to find joy in them. He sounds like he must have held a secure place in your hearts. As you say, it is a circle of life, no matter how much we would like to hold on, we have to find a way to let them go, yet hold them near in our memory and honor them in our actions. May peace be with you and yours.

Dan

Jeff Fagen
05-11-2011, 4:02 PM
Sympathy :(

John W Dixon
05-11-2011, 4:26 PM
My condolences to you and your wife.

Dennis Simmons
05-11-2011, 6:20 PM
I am sorry about your FIL, I know it must be a great loss to your family. I will pray for all of you. I have many tools from family, and friends, it gives me great pleasure to use them every day.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-11-2011, 9:43 PM
Sorry Jeff,
You were lucky to have a FIL who was a friend and cohort. Sorry you had to lose him. I hope all the sorrow gets replaced with fond memories real soon. Then it may be your turn to be a friend and FIL to someone.
faust

Bill Blasic
05-12-2011, 8:23 AM
Jeff,
Sorry for your family's loss, sounds like a big man and I'm sure he left big memories.
Bill

steven carter
05-12-2011, 9:19 AM
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Keep the memories close to your heart.

Steve

Mark Hubl
05-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Condolences and prayers to you and your family Jeff.

Joshua Dinerstein
05-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Jeff, I know a lot has been going on in your life. Issues of your own, with your wife, etc... Losing someone is, I think, the worst thing that can happen to anyone. You have great memories made up of a long and rich history with each them. Keep the good times close, hang on even tighter to the wonderful moments with those still here and never forget you have friends here there and everywhere.

Joshua

Marc Himes
05-12-2011, 5:39 PM
Sorry for your loss Jeff. It is so wonderful to share the things that we do with those that we love. Cherish the memories and pass on the love in your heart to those that are with you.
God Bless you and yours.

Marc Himes