PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have any tips for getting a stuck bit out of a Yankee Screwdriver

Steven Ellis
05-10-2011, 6:43 PM
I recently rescued a large Yankee that was heading to the dump as the owner had gotten the bit jammed in and couldn't remove it. I have tried copious amounts of WD40 and light oil but the bit is refusing to budge . . . . . . . . Any Tips or hints . . . . . Will removing the chuck cover aid in my efforts . . . . . . .

I would hate to have to condemn this irreplaceable tool. . . .

Thanks in advance

:confused:

Harlan Barnhart
05-10-2011, 7:08 PM
I got one out by getting ugly with two pairs of vice grips. They did a little damage but it was better than throwing it away.

Joe Bailey
05-10-2011, 8:07 PM
try pulling back on the collar, while tapping the bit lightly with a hammer (tap close to shell of chuck) - this has worked for me on more than one tool.

Johnny Kleso
05-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Try knock collar back with block of wood.
Pull Collar Back 110%..
With Pliers Twist Bit side to side and Pull Hard
If you have a vise try holding bit with vise.....

Charles McKinley
05-10-2011, 11:57 PM
WD-40 is not the right tool. Try PB Blaster or Kroil as a penetrating oil then as above.

Leigh Costello
05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
I work in a machine shop office when I'm not working for myself. Kroil is the only way to go. Frees up all kinds of stuck metal parts. And believe me, there are lots of ways to get tooling stuck. Congrats on your find Steven! Good luck!

Mike Holbrook
05-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Seems to me the mechanisms that allow the bit/shaft to turn and locks them in place can get jammed pretty easy. At least most of mine seem to jam fairly frequently. Fiddling with the direction of turn mechanism and the locking mechanism seems to free them up. If something is not turning quite far enough, some lubricant, working it in by cycling whatever still works, sometimes works the problem out where muscle and force fail. I frequently submerge the whole thing, less the handle, in kerosene and or WD40 for days, weeks....I will have to find me some Kroil. Another helpful cleaner is Krud Kutter, Lowe's carries it. It is very good at dissolving well, krud.

Johnny Kleso
05-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Mike,
You can only buy Kroil at Kano Labs online..

Dan Hahr
05-12-2011, 9:13 PM
If its rusted in, I'd skip the oil, Kroil, etc. and soak the whole thing in Evaporust for a while. After that it shouldn't take much effort.
Dan

Mike Wilkins
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Soak it one of the above-mentioned products, and 'accidently' drop in onto a concrete floor.

Joe Rogers
05-21-2011, 2:08 PM
I found Kroil at Midway USA ( a shooting supplies company) and Brownells (ditto) . And they ship. It is good stuff. WD 40 is very limited in penetrating properties and lubricant and is mostly a water displacer.
Joe

http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.brownells.com/

James Pickering
05-22-2011, 6:07 PM
From time to time I have had bits stick in the chuck due to long disuse of the tool causing oil to coagulate in the chuck, thereby rendering it almost impossible to release the bit by hand. Here is a pic showing the remedy for that:

http://jp29.org/yankee37.jpg

Insert a small screwdriver between the chuck sliding collar and the front chuck boss and gently pry until the collar is unstuck -- repeat if needed -- eventually the collar will move freely and release the bit.

James