PDA

View Full Version : Cicadas

Gary Hodgin
05-10-2011, 6:24 PM
They're out. Noticed them this morning. On the back porch listening to a symphony right now. Might as well try to enjoy since it'll last for the next 5-6 weeks.

mickey cassiba
05-10-2011, 9:09 PM
better you than me...this is the first year I haven't heard them down here(he said with fingers crossed)

Bill Cunningham
05-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Not warm enough for them here yet, but they sure sing in the summer! (July & August)

David G Baker
05-11-2011, 12:01 AM
One advantage of being partially deaf in the higher frequency range is I can not hear the hiss of the cicadas without my hearing aid. Can't hear crickets either.

Gary Hodgin
05-11-2011, 1:11 AM
One advantage of being partially deaf in the higher frequency range is I can not hear the hiss of the cicadas without my hearing aid. Can't hear crickets either.

That would be an advantage. It's amazing how loud those things are. I guess it's cause there's so many of them and they seem to all be singing the same song.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2011, 8:45 AM
They start a little later here. I have never developed an appreciation for the "symphony". We do, however, have a lovely nighttime frog chorus that I enjoy.

Mike Cruz
05-11-2011, 9:18 AM
Yes, our frogs have begun...have for a little while now. We love hearing 'em. As for cicadas, I actually don't mind them. Feels homey to me. Of course, every 17th year it is a bit much...

Gary Hodgin
05-11-2011, 1:16 PM
Frogs are okay. In fact, their chirping is kinda relaxing. You know everything is alright if they're chirping. Unfortunately, not any around me so I resort to you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dR1bUmavc0

ray hampton
05-11-2011, 4:25 PM
They start a little later here. I have never developed an appreciation for the "symphony". We do, however, have a lovely nighttime frog chorus that I enjoy.

do you think so, WELL wait until you step on a big bull frog

Frank Guerin
05-11-2011, 5:16 PM
I remember when my sons were young the group and there friend would walk through th house and it would be deafining. Each one had all there pockets full and they were all making noise. On the other side of the fence I remember when we had frogs, lizards of different species, fireflys and you could look up at night and see thousands if not millions of stars. We trade the benefits of somethings for the loss of others.

Mike Cruz
05-11-2011, 7:34 PM
While fishing lilly pads and weed beds in Canada (yearly trip :) )we came to realize that just about every cove has a bull frog "protecting" his cove.

Mike OMelia
05-14-2011, 8:55 AM
What you are hearing is the 13 year Red Eyed Cicada. This is the emergent year! THey are beautiful bugs... loud too!

Mike