PDA

View Full Version : My Grizzly G0623X Sliding Table Saw - Assembly and Usage Review

Brent Ring
05-10-2011, 4:37 PM
All,

Well, the gloating has begun, but I am afraid it will be a long, slow gloat. It has taken me a couple of weeks to get everything set up. First of all let me explain that Grizzly did a great job of communicating when the saw would arrive. You can see the pics here at this link.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163772-Preliminary-Gloat-The-Order-Has-Been-Placed!-Sliding-Table-Saw-Here-I-come!&highlight=

I was called and told what day I should be available. I worked from home that day and the driver called and gave me a good 1 hour window of when he would arrive, and he was right on schedule.

I got both the saw and the package containing the sliding table unit into the garage. I suggest paying for liftgate service. I only have to lift the saw once that way (Onto the mobile base). I noticed some damage on the sliding table box, which I photographed and noted with the driver. We also opened the box and noticed that the rip fence had a small dent. Later I noticed that the slider carriage also had a small location that had been dented. Grizzly customer support took my call and agreed to send out the replacement parts. Those arrived by truck today, in a heavy wooden crate and appear to have no damage. It should be noted that while there was some damage to the sliding carriage, it did not affect its ability to be used. And it cut perfectly out of the box.

I took about 30 mins to uncrate the saw itself. I built the mobile base first, (Using Grizzly's base, model number G7315Z, which is a Shop Fox base). I then disassembled the rest of the crate, and removed all of the separate boxes that were in the saw crate itself.

As you can see I had to remove the shipping screws that held the base in place. After inventorying parts with my father until my son came home, we got everything ready to then move it to the mobile base. When my son arrived, using the red shipping bolts in the cast iron table, that were in place for this process, and the other two bolts that the sliding carriage would rest on, had two of us on the motor side and one in front and we did the lift/slide onto the mobile base. You can see in the photos below the direction we lifted to, and then once on the base, I rotated it 90 degrees counterclockwise to prepare to install the sliding table.

More to come....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Mike Wilkins
05-10-2011, 4:50 PM
You are going to love working with a slider. I went from a Rockwell/Delta Unisaw to the Laguna 6' Sliding Tablesaw. There is a learning curve to working with a slider, as the sliding table will be where you normally stand when using a conventional saw. But I actually feel much safer using a slider, as my digits are no where near the blade when using the machine, and there is a riving knife and blade cover with vacuum covering the cutting action. Have fun and enjoy that machine.

Chris Tsutsui
05-10-2011, 7:09 PM
You noted there was shipping damage that got taken care of by Grizzly.

Would you happen to know what freight class the saw was shipped? Or what company it was?

Also, do you think the shipping carrier is held responsible for these damages or was it grizzly that has to pay to fix the problem? I know you paid nothing as it should be...

Anyways, looking forward to the finished saw and final review with some close up shots. When you do review its performance let me know what saw blade(s) you use with it. Thanks

ed vitanovec
05-10-2011, 9:07 PM
This is a familar site, thats how mine looked when uncrated. Congradulations with the new slider. When mine was delivered 2 years ago it came by UPS freight, if I recall.

Regards!
Ed

Brent Ring
05-11-2011, 8:45 AM
You noted there was shipping damage that got taken care of by Grizzly.

Would you happen to know what freight class the saw was shipped? Or what company it was?

Also, do you think the shipping carrier is held responsible for these damages or was it grizzly that has to pay to fix the problem? I know you paid nothing as it should be...

Anyways, looking forward to the finished saw and final review with some close up shots. When you do review its performance let me know what saw blade(s) you use with it. Thanks

Shipping was by UPS Freight both times, and I got the same driver. :) I wont speculate what Grizzly's arrangement is for damaged freight. the driver did not seem to care either way and was happy to make sure everything was documented properly.

More pics and docs to come tonight. I can tell you though. I broke down a 4'x4' sheet last night which was being used as a pattern for a Oval table top. Cut, turn, cut turn, cut, turn, cut, turn. about 30 seconds. Never would have been that fast on my old saw, and I would have never tried it either.... woot woot!

Andrew Pitonyak
05-11-2011, 5:40 PM

My limited experience with this sort of thing is that the seller pays the shipper (including the insurance), so the shipper will not work with the buyer. As such, although the buyer must document the damage on receipt, the buyer does not have the ability to file a claim.

The seller, on the other hand, fills out the paperwork and responds to the buyer. If the buyer were left waiting for the shipper to respond to the seller, it would likely really annoy the buyer (because the shipper usually investigates and takes significant time to come to any conclusions).

I assume, therefore, that Grizzly responded directly and at their expense to the buyer. They also filed a claim with the shipper based on any insurance that they purchased form the shipper.

Brent Ring
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Next in the assembly process was to install the Sliding table and the two wings to the cast iron table itself. The sliding table attached with two T-bolts into a Track nut on the bottom of the sliding table in these two locations. There is a screw on the bottom as well that limits how far to the back the sliding table should go. Add a lock washer, regular washer, and nut and tighten in both places.

You then also installed both heavy steel wings - one in front and one to the right. They connected with allen bolts and leveling screws as shown below.

Jeff Monson
05-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Looking good Brent, I'll be very interested in seeing how accurate the slider is on this saw. Is there any play in the slider when its fully extended either way?

Brent Ring
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Next onto installing the rip fence. The measuring rail installs first, followed by the actual fence rail. The fence rail itself uses bolts and nuts to determine distance away from the saw. I recommend setting them farther away than you think. Since, unlike other fences, the fence locking device stays on the rail all the time - you just remove the fence itself. The measuring rail needs to be adjusted to 0, and, as far as I can tell, rather than using a normal magnifier window for measurement, you actually just use the fence edge itself. If I am wrong here, then someone please let me know. I have been using my tape measure to test distances than way and it seems to work well. When rotating the fence to use the narrow edge, it should still work the same. The rip distance will be limited, but this narrow side is for ripping thin pieces anyway. Installed the locking handles and we were set...

More to come.....

Brent Ring
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Looking good Brent, I'll be very interested in seeing how accurate the slider is on this saw. Is there any play in the slider when its fully extended either way?

None at all. I reinstalled the replacement slider last night, and it is rock solid, fully extended in either direction. I do recommend making sure the slider table legs are down tightly though. But the whole thing is so darned heavy.... :)