PDA

View Full Version : Roy Underhill

Jason White
05-10-2011, 4:19 PM
I know this question will sound stupid, but does anybody know where Roy Underhill gets his suspenders or who manufactures them?

David Weaver
05-10-2011, 4:26 PM
George probably knows.

george wilson
05-10-2011, 5:28 PM
I have no idea. He gave the master craftsmen a pair of suspenders years ago. I don't know where mine are.

David Weaver
05-10-2011, 5:43 PM
Maybe Mork and Mindy's surplus has an extra pair that you could dye the rainbow out of.

john brenton
05-10-2011, 5:52 PM
Jim Koepke has a pair of the Morks so he could probably tell you where to get those. Haha, sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.

I missed the whole roy underhill thing. I guess a lot of what I know was brought to the public by him, but I only saw one show and that was with Brian Boggs as a guest. I wish I had PBS, but I'm just out of reach with my antena.

Maybe Mork and Mindy's surplus has an extra pair that you could dye the rainbow out of.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2011, 6:00 PM
Jason,

I don't know what brand but I looked at his website and a photo of him. Those "type" of suspenders are quite popular here among loggers and hunters. I had a pair when I was younger and doing some serious elk hunting and skiing.

Matt Winterowd
05-10-2011, 6:09 PM
Send him an email. I'll bet he answers you.

Jim Koepke
05-10-2011, 6:10 PM
Jim Koepke has a pair of the Morks so he could probably tell you where to get those. Haha, sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.

I get my suspenders at a couple of places in town, Woods Logging and Cowlitz River Rigging.

My suspenders have clips. The ones Roy Underhill wears look to be attached with buttons. I have thought of button types, but then you have to attach buttons to all the pants.

Most men's clothing stores carry suspenders. Some places call them braces.

jtk

Gary Hodgin
05-10-2011, 6:35 PM

I missed the whole roy underhill thing. I guess a lot of what I know was brought to the public by him, but I only saw one show and that was with Brian Boggs as a guest. I wish I had PBS, but I'm just out of reach with my antena.

John,
You can view old episodes going back over several seasons at this PBS website under "watch episodes online" at the top of the Woodwright's Shop on PBS's website.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/

Gary Hodgin
05-10-2011, 6:48 PM
These are close but not exact. The front snaps are different. The source may have something more like
Roy's, but I didn't spend a lot of time in their e-catalog.

http://www.suspenders.com/logger_red.htm

jamie shard
05-10-2011, 7:08 PM
I hit 40 and suddenly one of my pair of jeans sprouted suspenders. I suspect the trend will continue.

They are the bee's knees. For those that want to modify the jeans they already have to hang from the shoulders, you can change any pants to button-suspender pants with these:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/instant-buttons-replacement-buttons-91150.aspx?kw=suspender&processor=content

Lots of good suspenders on that site.

(My slippery slope has started with a pair of Carharts from Farm and Fleet, complete with suspender buttons, and the Duluth trading company button suspenders.)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2011, 7:23 PM
Here's Some... http://www.bestsuspenders.com/categories/Men%27s-Suspenders/

Here's some more.... http://www.suspenderstore.com/button-suspenders.html

harry strasil
05-10-2011, 8:13 PM
http://jas-townsend.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=suspenders&x=114&y=21

David Keller NC
05-10-2011, 8:41 PM

John - Do you know that you can view most of the recent few years of the woodwright's shop on the web? The only episodes that don't appear are the current season's, during the season, as many PBS affiliates have an irritating habit of pre-empting his shows to fill in the time with fundraisers and shows featuring new-age hocum. Most of the affiliates will pick up where they left off, but not all.

Sean Tracey
05-10-2011, 9:39 PM
Don't know about Roy Underhill's brand, but Welch Suspenders are made in Oregon, are very good with several styles, made for working, and available at beltoutlet.com.

Pam Niedermayer
05-10-2011, 10:49 PM

You're in luck, have been for some years, those shows are available at an Internet near you, Woodwright's Shop (http://video.unctv.org/program/1421129721/).

Pam

Will Boulware
05-11-2011, 10:29 AM
http://jas-townsend.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=suspenders&x=114&y=21

Cool site! There goes my wood budget for a while...

Jim Rimmer
05-11-2011, 1:03 PM
I hit 40 and suddenly one of my pair of jeans sprouted suspenders. I suspect the trend will continue.

They are the bee's knees. For those that want to modify the jeans they already have to hang from the shoulders, you can change any pants to button-suspender pants with these:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/instant-buttons-replacement-buttons-91150.aspx?kw=suspender&processor=content

Lots of good suspenders on that site.

(My slippery slope has started with a pair of Carharts from Farm and Fleet, complete with suspender buttons, and the Duluth trading company button suspenders.)

I was going to recommend this site. I've bought other items from them and got great products. Lots of neat stuff in their catalog.

George Beck
05-11-2011, 2:58 PM
Now that I think about it. Where did Norm get his underwear? or did he wear underwear?(Thus the suspenders).

David Weaver
05-11-2011, 3:26 PM
Now that I think about it. Where did Norm get his underwear? or did he wear underwear?(Thus the suspenders).

I think he would answer:

"I get my boxer shorts at kmart in cincinnati"

"uh oh, fifteen minutes to judge wapner"

Paul Saffold
05-11-2011, 8:23 PM
LL Bean's carries braces too.

Jason White
11-22-2013, 2:56 PM
BUMP!

Sorry to revive this ancient thread, but does anybody know where Roy Underhill gets his suspenders? What brand are they? Attaching a picture of them.

I know this question will sound stupid, but does anybody know where Roy Underhill gets his suspenders or who manufactures them?

Harold Burrell
11-22-2013, 3:17 PM
does anybody know...

Yes. Roy does. ;)

Tony Zaffuto
11-22-2013, 3:19 PM
If you want a real handyman's set of suspenders, go on to the "Red Green" website and get the real McCoy! My kids got me a pair a few years back since I'm a fan of the show!

Noah Wagener
11-22-2013, 3:38 PM
and the shopkeep.

My guess is he makes them himself. Weaves the cotton, grinds the pigment for the dye, hand forges the strap adjuster etc.

Daniel Rode
11-22-2013, 3:53 PM
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.:D

If you want a real handyman's set of suspenders, go on to the "Red Green" website and get the real McCoy! My kids got me a pair a few years back since I'm a fan of the show!

george wilson
11-22-2013, 4:15 PM
He just buys white ones and rubs them on his freckles.

Glenn Samuels
11-24-2013, 8:56 AM
BUMP!

Sorry to revive this ancient thread, but does anybody know where Roy Underhill gets his suspenders? What brand are they? Attaching a picture of them.

I visited Roy at his studio yesterday and he said that they come from LL Bean. He does have buttons sewed on to his jeans but he told me that you can purchase buttons that actually clip on (and they work).

Winton Applegate
11-24-2013, 9:10 PM
Red Green suspenders
I just use duct tape.
I'm pulling for yah
We are all in this together .

Mike Hutchison
11-25-2013, 6:38 AM
Mine are Perry variety which, alas, I bought @ Walmart
suspenders aka [Colloq.] galluses; braces

Michael N Taylor
11-25-2013, 9:17 AM
The Suspender Factory carries a lot of different suspenders in several width ad materials.

Jason White
11-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Perfect! Thanks, Glenn!!

I visited Roy at his studio yesterday and he said that they come from LL Bean. He does have buttons sewed on to his jeans but he told me that you can purchase buttons that actually clip on (and they work).

Jim Koepke
11-25-2013, 2:01 PM
For what it is worth, I gave up on suspenders.

They felt like a weight constantly pulling down on my shoulders.

A belt doesn't hold the pants up as well if you are like me and lost your behind…

jtk

Tom Vanzant
11-25-2013, 9:25 PM
Jim,
It sounds like you suffer from the deficiency commonly refered to as no assatall. Don't worry... it's very common.

Tony Zaffuto
11-26-2013, 6:43 AM
Whatever Jim is missing, I seem to have found.

Malcolm Schweizer
11-26-2013, 8:27 PM
Just PLEASE don't get the rainbow colored ones. The 70's are long gone.

By the way, everyone makes fun of my "Big Mac" overalls but I prefer them to jeans. My friend calls them my "Choo Choo Charlies." (White with blue pinstripes like a train conductor wears.) I save my old dress shirts and wear those with my overalls. There is nothing like cotton fabric when it's hot. People think I am trying to make a fashion statement but actually just being practical.