PDA

View Full Version : Self leveling feet v base of the lathe?????

Richard Kennedy UK
05-10-2011, 2:10 PM
On my 3520B there are self levelling feet As I am putting down concrete to stand it on would it be a better idea to create a level surface removing the need for them? It seems all the weight and potential vibration goes through the threaded rod which is only small Which is better the self levelling feet or standing the lathe on the cast iron legs?

Brian Libby
05-10-2011, 2:38 PM
should not make any difference as long as all 4 legs set flat

Fred Perreault
05-10-2011, 5:03 PM
Richard, I didn't use the levelers because I am 5"8" tall, and I found the unit just a bit too tall. My 3520 is on a substantial wooden framed floor, no anchorage and it works fine. It is my first variable speed lathe, and I find that if there is any harmonic vibration, I can often times go to a higher speed and iron out the shimmy. It's kinda like when I grew up (long ago, if at all), the beater cars we were driving would have a front end shake and shimmy at a certain speed, but below that speed, or above it, the shimmy would all but disappear. It's just a matter of how fast you wanna' go... :) :) I love my 3520b

Jeff Nicol
05-10-2011, 5:14 PM
Richard, I tried mine for a while but they did not work for me trying to turn some odd shaped things that tend to create some vibrations. I made some white oak spanners that go front to back about 5" wide that are bolted to the legs, then I was able to shim any deviations to level and it is rock solid and at just the correct hieght for me. Since you are pouring a nice flat pad you should be able to get it the way you want.

Keep us posted on your soulution,

Jeff

Reed Gray
05-11-2011, 12:44 AM
As some one who poured concrete for 30 years, and was told by every one I ever worked for, "hippy, you are too dang fussy to do concrete work", the odds of getting a perfectly flat slab aren't as good as your chances of winning the lottery. You need the levelers. I have found it necessary to put a block of wood between the leg at the tailstock end and the wall as the lathe will move while turning. I don't bolt it down.

robo hippy

Richard Kennedy UK
05-11-2011, 7:32 AM
Thanks for all your responses I poured 4, 7 inch square 9 inch deep feet yesterday just waiting for it to cure so I can re-assemble my workspace I got it level with the timber floor but I know that is no where near flat so the levellers are going to be in use I just hope its an improvement on the timber floor! Thanks for all your advice

Fred Belknap
05-11-2011, 7:48 AM
Richard You will still need some way to shim it level. My lathe is bolted to a concrete floor but there is shims under the legs. It is solid as a rock, I lean on it sometimes and stand on it to adjust my shop heater thermostat. I used concrete anchors that take 3/8" lag bolts. (about 10mm)

Richard Jones
05-11-2011, 9:01 AM
You could also set it up level and pack some non-shrink grout under each foot. That would allow maximum surface area contact under each leg/foot. If I ever get my lathe where I want it, this is the method I will use. And I probably will bolt it down.

My $.02...................

Rich

PS I may even bolt a larger plate under the feet to provide more surface area, then grout under that................