PDA

View Full Version : Norm's adirondack chairs - dimension question

Bob Riefer
05-10-2011, 8:10 AM
Anyone that's built Norm's "adirondack trio" I seemingly found a discrepancy in the dimensions while making my templates last night. For the arm rest, the dimension is listed as 27 and 9/16" long... but if you count the squares in the grid on the plans, it shows it as 26 and 9/16" long. I made a template both ways, but before I actually cut the real arms for this, do you know which measurement is correct? If not, I'll just use my template to assemble the chair before I cut the real thing.

Thanks!

Ray Chalenski
05-10-2011, 6:50 PM
Bob I've made several of them and the length of my arm rest are all 27 9/16"

Bob Riefer
05-10-2011, 7:02 PM
Thanks Ray!! Much appreciated!

Mike Harrison
05-10-2011, 7:35 PM
I think the arms are a bit narrow so I made mine 7 inches wide, easier for paper plates.

Frank Swierz
05-10-2011, 8:46 PM
Definitely 27 9/16. I've made two and I'm happy with the length, but if I were to adjust them, I'd add an inch before going shorter. They only stick out about half an inch in front of the arm supports as it is.

Charles Lent
05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
One more improvement suggestion over Norm's design - The rear legs are not very stable and can flex sideways. I added a cross piece between the legs, just below the seat back. It made a huge improvement in the chair's strength and long term stability. About 10 years ago I built 6 chairs based on Norm's design. The fiirst 2 didn't have this leg brace and they are now falling apart. The other 4, with the added brace, are still holding up well.

Charley

Bob Riefer
05-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Great suggestion, I actually noticed on some adirondack chairs at a local park that they DO have this brace that you mention, whereas Norm's plans do not call for that brace. I have enough white oak left to add this into my first chair and will plan on it for future chairs going forward as well. Thanks for the tip!