PDA

View Full Version : Introduction / Wood Gloat

Marty Eargle
05-10-2011, 2:58 AM
Howdy folks,

Been lurking here for quite a while and decided that today is the day I make my introduction. I've been turning for about six months now and this site has been my biggest source for information and guidance...can't imagine where I'd be without it. I'm a college student born and raised in NC and picked up turning as a hobby to distract me school from time to time.

I picked today to make my first post because today I made my first of very many visits out to see Mike Smith ( www.centurytreeturnings.com (http://www.centurytreeturnings.com) ) and his shop. My girlfriend and I went out there with no real idea of what to expect other than a lot of wood. And man...there was a lot of wood. The kind of place that you never really want to leave. Meeting Mike was awesome. We stood around and talked about this and that and he was very informative and helpful when it came to picking out my first batch of wood. It was almost impossible to decide what I wanted to get on this trip, luckily my girlfriend had very little problem grabbing chunks knowing she's going to get what is turned from them. Mike gave me a great deal and I will surely be visiting him much more often than my bank account would like. :)

Anyhow, I'll finish up my rambling with the treasures I picked up today. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what piece to start with sooner than later.

A) Mimosa
B) Walnut
C) Big Leaf Maple
D) Pecan
E) Sweetgum
F) Walnut
G) Honey Locust x2
H) Chinese Chestnut
I) Walnut
J) Curly Redwood
K) Box Elder
L) Ambrosia Maple
M) Sycamore
N) Ambrosia Maple
O) Claro Walnut
P) Mimosa

Yeah...I got a little bit of everything. ;)

John Hart
05-10-2011, 6:02 AM
Hiya Marty! Glad you decided to come out of the shadows. Welcome to the lightside of the vortex! Nice introduction :)

Jack Mincey
05-10-2011, 6:10 AM
Mike is a great guy, You are lucky to live that close to him. It could cause you some financial trouble in the long haul though.
Happy turning,
Jack

John Keeton
05-10-2011, 6:37 AM
Marty, glad to have you posting!! And, glad you got hooked up with Mike - great guy and super good prices on wood. But......I am going to have to talk with him about selling my private stash of Claro walnut!!;):D:D

I look forward to seeing some posts from the fruits of this trip.

Donny Lawson
05-10-2011, 6:39 AM
Looks like you have a good resorce for all your wood needs. The real question is, Which one do you turn first?

Mark Hazelden
05-10-2011, 8:19 AM
Welcome Marty,

You will find great people here and in woodturning in general. There probably is a woodturning club near you that would love have you as a member. I also find woodturning a great way to escape the cares of the world.

If you ever venture out to the mountains of North Carolina, look me up.

Mark

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2011, 8:53 AM
Welcome Marty. Great stash of wood you got from Mike. He is a great guy, has lots of great wood at great prices.

Alan Trout
05-10-2011, 9:06 AM
Marty,

Welcome and that is a lot of pretty wood to play with.

Alan

bob svoboda
05-10-2011, 9:11 AM
Welcome to the light, Marty. Glad your girlfriend is an enabler :D Looking forward to the turnings that come from your nice stash.

Steve Schlumpf
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Marty - Welcome to posting on the Creek! Nice looking bunch of wood you picked up! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Michael James
05-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Nice haul - welcome from NM. Better get to turning before that wood spalts!
mj

David E Keller
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Welcome, Marty! No reason to lurk... Glad you're out of the shadows. Looking forward to seeing what you get out of that stash.

Scott Hackler
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Welcome Marty. It's a good thing I don't live within driving distance to Mike........

Darren Jamieson
05-10-2011, 1:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, I hope you have some fun turning that nice lot of wood. I also suggest you keep your eyes peeled for some free stuff because once you get started there is no end to what you'll spend on tools and finishes and even the dream of owning one of those real big lathes that cost so much.(maybe I should have taken my own advise when I started)
Anyway, goodluck, have fun and play safe!

Jim Burr
05-10-2011, 2:03 PM
Welcome Marty! You pickd a great guy to get wood from, I should have a box of PSWJK (private stock was John Keetons):D;) on the doorstep in a day or two! Go make something!!:cool:

Marty Eargle
05-10-2011, 3:21 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the warm welcome!

John - So that's what was behind the giant steel door with security cameras around it!

Mark - Mike clued me in to the Raleigh Wood turners club meeting...I'm really hoping to attend soon.

Darren - I cut up a fair amount of blanks from trees that our recent tornadoes took out. I'm just sad to say that (like most of you) patience isn't a virtue of mine. :D

Thanks again all!

Jeff Nicol
05-10-2011, 5:36 PM
Marty, Welcome to the Creek and you are sure to have many hours of time spent on here as you try new things and impress us with your mastery! It is good to keep your sweety happy and it sounds like she knows what she likes!

See you here on the creek,

Jeff

Baxter Smith
05-10-2011, 9:03 PM
Welcome Marty! Keep sharing what you do!

Nate Davey
05-10-2011, 9:15 PM
Welcome from Fayetteville Marty, can't wait to see what you make out of that pile of gold you have there.

philip labre
05-11-2011, 6:56 AM
Welcome Marty! Looking forward to seeing what becomes of the pile.

Bill Bulloch
05-11-2011, 8:12 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Marty. Since you have only been turning for about six months I am afraid that that much timber is going to cause you a lot of anguish. You'll have to decide which to use and what to turn with it....too many choices. No worries, though, I have a solution. Just sent me half of it and that will cut you anxiety in half.