PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your shop pets

John W Dixon
05-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Here is Wrigley my 5 month old blue merle Australian Shepherd.

The first time I had him in my shop while I was turning he just stayed at my side trying to bite every shaving that came off the lathe.

So lets see your shop pets!

David E Keller
05-09-2011, 11:02 PM
He's a good looking pup!

Here's a shot of my shop groupies taken looking out the door of the shop... They don't like the noise of the dust collector, so they patiently wait for me to come out.

David Reed
05-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Here are Wilson the Papillon, my floor cleaner/dust mop and Russel my Chihuahua Retriever. Unfortunately they dislike the noise and the cool temps so don't spend too much time with me although they often come to check that thinks are still OK. they seem to prefer sitting on a big pillow in front of the fire. Go figure.

Malcolm Tibbetts
05-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Here’s a “screen shot” from my video, Seggy’s Dream. My shop dog, Bubby, steals the show every time that I’ve shown this video during my demos. If you haven’t seen the video, it’s here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s

Dan Hintz
05-10-2011, 6:11 AM
Haha, awesome looking pets :)

John Hart
05-10-2011, 6:34 AM
Duncan - the warrior princess

Donny Lawson
05-10-2011, 6:34 AM
Here’s a “screen shot” from my video, Seggy’s Dream. My shop dog, Bubby, steals the show every time that I’ve shown this video during my demos. If you haven’t seen the video, it’s here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s

Nice video

cal thelen
05-10-2011, 7:26 AM
about all i got out there with me is a couple of these little guys.
194190 This is hobbes (because i am calvin) she is not right in the shop with me but she is close enough that she has picked up and mimics the sounds of the saw and the sander. unfortunately she is also close enough to pick up some certain words I have usen to express my displeasure at something

Jeff Moffett
05-10-2011, 8:54 AM
This is my golden retriever, Woody. He was a great shop dog until a half made baseball bat came flying off the lathe. Now he won't come near it. I guess you could say I scared the shop out of him! :)

Dan Hintz
05-10-2011, 8:55 AM
If we're including shop birds in the mix, our peach-faced love bird was put down yesterday due to neurological issues :( The Mrs. was an emotional wreck, followed eventually by the munchkin once she realized we weren't going back to the vet to pick up the bird later (I guess she got used to us dropping puppy off for visits and returning later in the day for pickup). Never could feel that emotionally attached to a bird, but I like them.

For now, though, we still have a 14-yo black Beagle/Lab/Dachshund mix that keeps us company (no pics on this computer to share)... when she goes, I think all of us will feel it. She cleans the floor of shavings one small space at a time by sitting there wagging her tail. The spot is really clean.

John Hart
05-10-2011, 9:10 AM
This is my golden retriever, Woody....

Oh...I like Woody. There is one happy friendly lookin' pup!!!

Tim Thiebaut
05-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Ok, you all have a bunch of great looking companions there so I thought I should post mine, we have 4 shelties...it is a lot to handle especialy now but they are family. Gabriel and Pennie are brother and sister, we have had them the longest and they are my constant companions 24-7 since I am home all the time now...Gabriel is a daddys boy without a doubt, but Pennie is a very close second! We got Zek and Izzy about 2 years ago...by wife wanted some white Shelties after we saw one while out camping at a local state park and other then their faces Zek and Izzy are almost all white. Izzys eye color is due to a genetic thing...he is all completely deaf. Hopefully this will post in the order I list them here....

Oh yea...ignore the Candycane shaped letters around their necks, it was xmas and my wife was taking pics to send to family...the candycane is the first letter of their name..

Gabby - Gabriel
Pennie
Zek - Ezekiel
Izzy - Isiah

Dick Wilson
05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
This is Scooter, my Huskey/Shepard buddy. Fortunately she won't go downstairs. She is chicken of the stairs. But, she is always at the top of the stairs to great me at the end of the day:):):)194215

Jon Nuckles
05-10-2011, 1:14 PM
Meet Zoe, who always finds a pile of shavings or sawdust to make her bed.

Lee Schierer
05-10-2011, 1:14 PM
Here's Rudy, he usually hangs out in the shop with me on the off chance I will get tired and decide to take him for a walk. He's okay with most of the tools, but draws the line at the planer and router. He usually lays right where I can't forget that he is there.

I also have a shop cat, but he usually goes out when I go in and in when I go out. He definitely doesn't like power tools.

Jim Rimmer
05-10-2011, 2:12 PM
This is Tippy - abandoned after Hurricane Ike, I got her from a rescue center in April following Ike. Machines don't bother her. If i sit down on my stool that means it's time for a petting. Mixed breed - great friend. The knothole in the fence is where she keeps an eye on the street behind us. :)

Dan Hintz
05-10-2011, 3:22 PM
Jim,

What kind of pup is Tippy? (Used to have a dog named Tippy :))

Jim Rimmer
05-10-2011, 4:06 PM
Jim,

What kind of pup is Tippy? (Used to have a dog named Tippy :))

She's a mixed breed. Looks like an over-sized chihuahua from some angles. I think some Corgi, some terrier, who knows what else. To me, that's the best kind of dog. :)

james glenn
05-10-2011, 5:05 PM
Those are some great looking pets you all have. So I guess I'll post mine as well.

This is Izzie (I just call her Iz). She only hangs out in the shop on occassion as I work in the basement and she can't see out the windows
and isn't fond of the noise. But yet she will work (really she just runs, sits, or lays) by my all day on the farm and even around tractors
and machinery. It must be the outdoors.

By the way, she is half Wheaten Terrier, half English Bulldog. We call her a Wheatebull.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

dennis thompson
05-10-2011, 5:32 PM
This is Rocky, unfortunately, after 17 years we had to have him put down last week. He had 16 good years & one pretty difficult one, still missing him a lot.
Dennis

Dennis Simmons
05-10-2011, 7:20 PM
This is my crew waiting for me to come out of the bath room, to go to the shop. Ralph, Maggie, and Rusty,the cat that thinks he is a dog :)

Brian Kent
05-10-2011, 7:30 PM
One of 3 - this is Hannah the Shepherd. Loves to be next to me or Lorena all the time.

David Drickhamer
05-10-2011, 9:46 PM
Here's my "helper", Pita. Yup, Pain in the a--. The only time she wants attention is when I'm trying to get something done. It's funny, when I turn a bowl she likes to lay under the lathe until she's covered with shavings then pops up and runs through the house. My wife doesn't think it's too funny though.

Bruce Page
05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Kodi & Ella are both Lab rescue dogs. Ella, the black lab was a huge challenge to get under control. We almost threw in the towel a few times with her. Perseverance paid off, she is now one of the best dogs I have ever had, LOTS of personality but also very loving. Kodi must have come from a strict home. He has been perfectly behaved from the day he walked in the door but has insecurity issues.

Belinda Barfield
05-11-2011, 8:43 AM
Okay, granted it's not a wood shop, it's a granite shop. Here's Spooky! He's helping a customer select a color for new countertops.

Mike Cruz
05-11-2011, 9:32 AM
Here are Annie and Skittles. Annie is the boxer and Skittles is the mix. Both are great dogs. Skittles is a killer...and not just with the ladies. He'll kill anything he can catch...foxes, groundhogs, rabbits, and most recently (a few days ago) a raccoon. Groundhogs are the only ones we WANT him to kill, but he can't really tell the difference. Skunks are the one I REALLY don't want him to kill...for obvious reasons. But, as it turns out, raccoons don't smell really purdy either...and difficult to get the musky smell out of your dog. :mad:

I have to admit, though, neither dog is in the shop much. Annie would eat anything she could. And Skittles would get wiggy when any machine would turn on. So, they aren't "shop dogs".

Sometimes I think Annie "ain't too bright". I think she thinks she's a cat. When on walks, she'll run way up infront of us, then stop, spin around, and stalk us...like she's a cat or something. She paws at the air with that paw that is "up" as we near, then pounces when we get close enough... hehe, very cute actually. :D

Dan Hintz
05-11-2011, 9:37 AM
Ah, loooove Annie and Skittles... Annie loves to board check you like she's a hockey player as she runs up from behind, then turns around with that "What, did I do something?" look from 50 feet ahead.

greg lindsey
05-11-2011, 3:02 PM
This is my boy, lays at my feet while I sit at my desk, untill I turn the blower on for the laser, then he's outta here. Pure breed, papered English Bull.194340

Joe Leigh
05-11-2011, 3:27 PM
That's a good looking pup! What's his name?

Mike Cruz
05-11-2011, 3:32 PM
Yeah, Dan, she's good at that, isn't she? Taught her everything I know... :)

greg lindsey
05-11-2011, 6:01 PM
That's a good looking pup! What's his name?

His name is Sgt. Pepper.

Tammy Larrabee
05-11-2011, 6:20 PM
I'm kind of skeered to post a pic of my snake LOL

Jim McFarland
05-11-2011, 6:37 PM
I'm a big fan of boxers so love Annie! She would love my shop buddy Bo (tiny photo of Bo in my avatar). Don't know if Annie knows any other boxers but it's fun to watch two boxers play. I have no idea re the origin of the name, but when Bo plays with Otis (our son's boxer) they do remind me of two fighters clinching and throwing jabs with their front paws.

Bruce Page
05-11-2011, 7:04 PM
Mike, pic #1 is priceless!

Mike Cruz
05-11-2011, 7:10 PM
Jim, she's our second boxer, and yes it is fun seeing boxers play with one another. Our mix doesn't "get" the boxing things, but he does bob and weave to avoid the jabs very nicely, though. :)

She is Annie because my wife loves the book Where the Red Fern Grows. The dogs' names in the book are Old Dan and Little Ann. So, that explains her name. However, as a dog owner for many years (pretty much my entire life...yeah, come to think of it, my entire life...) I can't even fathom the thought of two dogs being able to distinguish their own names between Dan and Ann...let alone hounds on the hunt. Great names for a story, but in real life, not the most effective job at naming your pets.

And yes, she would LOVE playing with your Bo. She is a small girl (50 lbs) but one of, if not THE, most limber, agile, and athletic dogs I've ever know. From a stand still, she can jump creeks. Or when startled by a twig (while on a walk), she can get vertical with no effort at all...not even so much as a "load up" to spring up. Anyway, your Bo looks like a love.

Mike Cruz
05-11-2011, 7:19 PM
Thanks, Bruce. Little Annie has got such an underbite, it is amazing that she can chew or bite anything. Here are a couple of pics of it... :D

Rick Huelsbeck
05-12-2011, 7:34 AM
The first one with the attitude issue is Amelia Earhardt, thusly named for her adventurous spirit. As you can see she has thrown her toys in the water bowl and was taunting us about "what are you going to do about it?" She likes to lay in the door of the shop and watch for squirrels until whatever piece of equipment I'm working with gets shut off, then it's "let's go see how under foot I can get" for attention at times. Of course I really don't understand why she will stay out there with the dust collecter running, she sees the vacuum cleaner pulled out and she is out of there before it is even turned on. She is 10 years old.

The second one is Natasha Fatale, she is a bit more laid back as you can see. She will come into the shop and find her blanket and well that is where she will stay until of course either "Moose or Squirrel" goes by. Well maybe if we had Moose here anyway, guess we will need to move to Frostbite Falls, MN for that.:D She is 9 years old.

Of course you would know I don't exactly have any of them in the shop but I swear they really do come out there.

And yes, they are the ones in my avatar, and no that was not taken on Halloween, it was taken on Sep 19, Who knows what is specail about that?:D BTW it's my girlfriend who dresses them up, really.:o

Dan Hintz
05-12-2011, 7:39 AM
I'm kind of skeered to post a pic of my snake LOL
As long as it's not eating the shop bird, we're okay with it :) Although some might not argue if it's eating the shop rats.

Mike, I had no idea that's how Annie got her name... I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows back in 3rd grade (?).

Mike Cruz
05-12-2011, 7:41 AM
Hehe, yeah... Also, hence the farm name...Red Fern. :rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
05-12-2011, 8:51 AM
Here's a photo of Ellington, my shop cat.

He doesn't mind the sound of machinery, and loves the shavings from the lathe.

He also helps with machinery setup, in this case inspecting the shaper setup when I was machining some exterior window sills for my Mom's house..........Rod.

Belinda Barfield
05-12-2011, 9:00 AM
The first one with the attitude issue is Amelia Earhardt, thusly named for her adventurous spirit. As you can see she has thrown her toys in the water bowl and was taunting us about "what are you going to do about it?"

Love it, Rick! We have another shop cat, but I don't have a pic. Her name is Earline. (Earl until we discovered he was a she). Anytime she finds a rubber band somewhere around the office she places it in her food bowl. I once found 9 rubber bands in the bowl at one time. She also likes to bring in lizards and frogs, etc., and put them in the food bowl. With a lizard, she tucks him in the corner and then lays down to watch. If he tries to crawl out of the bowl she swats him back in and then tucks him under the food with her nose!

Jim Sears
05-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Ollie is gone now (turn tears on). But he sure was a good ole boy. There will never be another like him for me (turn tears off)http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/jim-sears/dsc01938.jpg

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Just look at my avitar to see my shop cat. If he is not napping here, he will bring a ball to me and keep droping it on my foot until I throw it, so we can play fetch.

My other cat is a siamese and stays out of the shop.

Mike Cruz
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Jim, he is (sorry, was) quite a beautiful boy! I'm a sucker for boxers. We got Annie a few months after our boxer,Tasha, passed on. She made it to 13 1/2. She had a brain tumor at 8, and later developed spondylosis (fusing of the spine...in her case from neck to tail), but could somehow still run and play til the end. I am convinced that what kept her going was her love for "mommy".

Scott T Smith
05-12-2011, 6:16 PM
This is Ricochet (Shea for short), my shop dog. She's a rescue, about 16 months old now, and is a real "Daddy's Girl". Although most of the animals on the farm are some type of stray or mixed breed, Shea is a purebred Belgian Malinois that we obtained from a rescue org down in Florida.

All of my shop cats keep getting adopted by customers! At least that "makes room at the inn" for another rescue.

Bruce Page
05-12-2011, 6:48 PM
You both have the same smile! :)

Matt Winterowd
05-12-2011, 8:13 PM
My avatar is our senior shop cat, Roosevelt. Murray here is still brushing up on his technique, as you can see.

Mike Henderson
05-12-2011, 8:51 PM
Here's Bernie. He adopted me. He's such a good boy.

Mike

Gary Kvasnicka
05-13-2011, 6:13 PM
Here is a picture of Jake doing his favorite thing when he is not hanging around the shop.194539
All I have to say is "Let's go for a boat ride" and he will run for the truck.

Mike Cruz
05-13-2011, 8:05 PM
Now that's a happy boy, Gary!

Lee Koepke
05-17-2011, 9:22 PM

Thats my Bailey ... he's not letting me clean up !!!!!

Paul McGaha
06-05-2011, 9:30 PM
Here's my Mandy. We got her when she was a year old. She's 9 now.

She is originally from York, Pa. Our daughter lived there at the time and helped us find her.

She dosent care for the noise of the tools but she comes out and joins my wife and me when we are talking or drinking coffee.

PHM

Jim Becker
06-07-2011, 8:59 PM
I believe I mentioned my new friend the other day...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/spidie.jpg

Jim McFarland
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Oohh...big fan of "dogs on a boat" shots!

My shop buddy Bo on the lake and the 2nd is with my son on a short Sea-Doo ride (PFD required of course!). Odd, but Bo will hardly go outside for his morning "business trip" when it's raining but he loves to swim in the lake.

Mike Cruz
06-08-2011, 6:58 AM
Yeah, Dan saw a couple of those when we were cuttin' up wood the other day. He got a pic of one. Can you see it? Smack in the middle of the picture. Man, I hate spiders...

Jim Davenport
06-11-2011, 12:12 PM
This is my My Shop supervisor Judge (AKA Dogzilla). He's an eleven year old Mastiff.
The second picture in the shop looks like he's getting "recharged":rolleyes:

Phil Thien
06-11-2011, 2:49 PM
First dog is Rudy. I had to put him to sleep five weeks ago, at 11.5 years.

I got him when he was sixteen weeks. He had been returned to a breeder because he was vicious. A friend that knew I was looking for a dog told me about the situation, and asked me if I knew of many vicious lab puppies. Nope. More likely: Someone had a kid that liked to tease and/or abuse animals.

I sent my wife and two daughters to "check him out" while I was at work. Wife called from the car on the way home and I heard barking. She said "he's teething." Well, YEAH! He is a puppy. I could barely wait to get home from work that day. Rudy instantly bonded with everyone in the family, and I started taking him to work with me every day shortly thereafter.

Never displayed a vicious tendency a day in his life.

He had three large seizures in the last two years. His last was so bad he just couldn't seem to recover. He couldn't move his left rear leg, and he shook like a leaf for hours. Making the decision to put him to sleep was the the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. God, I miss him. He was my constant (24-hour) companion for nearly a dozen years.

I had wanted to wait a while before getting another dog, but wife insisted I cannot live without a dog. She and daughters volunteer at the local humane society and found a beagle/lab (beagalor) and brought him home for me.

I've had him one week. He is now nine weeks old. He is doing great with his housebreaking.

Name: Roy Rogers. He came with the name, and I kinda like it. We call him Roy.

Paul McGaha
06-11-2011, 3:23 PM
First dog is Rudy. I had to put him to sleep five weeks ago, at 11.5 years.

I got him when he was sixteen weeks. He had been returned to a breeder because he was vicious. A friend that knew I was looking for a dog told me about the situation, and asked me if I knew of many vicious lab puppies. Nope. More likely: Someone had a kid that liked to tease and/or abuse animals.

I sent my wife and two daughters to "check him out" while I was at work. Wife called from the car on the way home and I heard barking. She said "he's teething." Well, YEAH! He is a puppy. I could barely wait to get home from work that day. Rudy instantly bonded with everyone in the family, and I started taking him to work with me every day shortly thereafter.

Never displayed a vicious tendency a day in his life.

He had three large seizures in the last two years. His last was so bad he just couldn't seem to recover. He couldn't move his left rear leg, and he shook like a leaf for hours. Making the decision to put him to sleep was the the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. God, I miss him. He was my constant (24-hour) companion for nearly a dozen years.

I had wanted to wait a while before getting another dog, but wife insisted I cannot live without a dog. She and daughters volunteer at the local humane society and found a beagle/lab (beagalor) and brought him home for me.

I've had him one week. He is now nine weeks old. He is doing great with his housebreaking.

Name: Roy Rogers. He came with the name, and I kinda like it. We call him Roy.

Phil,

I'm glad you had such a good dog in Rudy and hope Roy does great.

Note to Jim Davenport, I would think that however Judge wants it is how it will be.

PHM