PDA

View Full Version : Been making shavings with a new JET.

Mark Hazelden
05-09-2011, 7:34 PM
I have had the new Jet 1642 2 HP for a couple of weeks now. Between being sick and busy, I just got around to using for the first time. I LOVE it! Threw a piece of cherry the former house owner left me onto the lathe and played.

I made modification for a start stop switch per Steve S's guidance. Thanks Steve! I had a paddle switch in my electrical parts drawer so I decided to give it a try. Seems like I could turn it off with a bump of my elbow or knee.

I also made a mount to install my "eyes aren't what they used to be" light onto.

Mark

Nate Davey
05-09-2011, 7:41 PM
Very nice, I love Jet and my remote switch. Nice looking bowl too.

Jon Lanier
05-09-2011, 7:45 PM
Yippie!!!!!

John Keeton
05-09-2011, 8:00 PM
Congrats, Mark!! My 1642 and I are finally becoming close friends. And, you are one up on me - no remote switch on mine yet, but I did drill for a spindle lock pin so I wouldn't have to hold down the button.

I had become so comfortable with the Delta 46-460 (great lathe!) that there was a "nurturing" curve. But, the 1642 responded with love, and we are one now!!

Greg Just
05-09-2011, 8:04 PM
I have the baby brother (1.5 hp) and love it. I like the remote switch and will need to give that some thought along with the spindle lock. So much to do and so little time!

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2011, 9:20 PM
Mark - glad to see that you are breaking in your new lathe! You know... the headstock slides down to the tailstock end so when you turn bowls you don't have to lean over the ways! ;)

Also nice to see you got your remote switch installed! Sure makes it safer when you don't have to reach over the spinning blank to shut the lathe down!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing the bowl once finished! Hope you are feeling better!

Mark Hazelden
05-10-2011, 8:12 AM
You know... the headstock slides down to the tailstock end so when you turn bowls you don't have to lean over the ways! ;)Oh is that what that big handle on the side of the headstock is for?:)

Next on the list is a home made vacuum chuck and adapter, a ballast box, and somewhere to set my tools. Laying them on the wood stove is only going to work for so long.

I am interested in learning more about the spindle lock mod if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a few ideas but would like to see what others have done.

Mark

John Keeton
05-10-2011, 8:17 AM
Mark, this pic is compliments of Steve Schlumpf! I have copied it, so my pic would look the same. One must account for the thickness of the adjoining drop down cover for the belts. Drill the hole to barely clear that and it should suffice to lock the spindle.

Mark Hazelden
05-10-2011, 8:22 AM
Thanks John.

Same line of thinking that I was heading in. That sure would make life easier.

bob svoboda
05-10-2011, 9:15 AM
Nice looking setup, Mark. Congrat's on the lathe and glad you're feeling better.

Greg Just
05-10-2011, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the picture John. That looks like a quick and easy upgrade.