PDA

View Full Version : Fast way to attach decorative panels non-permanently?

Victor Robinson
05-09-2011, 2:38 PM
I'm building an enclosure that will house some computer electronics as well as on which a flat-panel screen will be hung. Most of the enclosure is hollow, however, and will be decorated on the outside with frame-and-panels. Since the setup needs to be put together and torn down easily and quickly, I'm trying to think of a toolless way to slap on the decorative panels (which are basically akin to poplar cabinet doors). They don't have to be 100% tamper-proof, just reasonably secure in place.

I was thinking rare-earth magnets, but am concerned about the magnets possibly interfering with the electronics or TV. Any other ideas?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2011, 2:44 PM
Velcro will do it and there are some larger, stronger similar forms to velcro that will hold more weight

David Peterson MN
05-09-2011, 2:45 PM
Pocket screws may work for this application

glenn bradley
05-09-2011, 2:47 PM
+1 on velcro. The tougher grip stuff is pretty tenacious.

Victor Robinson
05-09-2011, 2:56 PM
Ah velcro! Of course! It's amazing how sometimes it's much faster to ask y'all instead of racking one's own brain. I was thinking about this for weeks and didn't come up with velcro. Magnets...lol.

Any other ideas, keep them coming, but I think velcro should do the trick.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2011, 2:57 PM
Victor...if you do a search on velcro...they make industrial strength products that are pretty impressive!

Victor Robinson
05-09-2011, 3:02 PM
Thanks Ken, I just found the "industrial strength" version of Velcro brand on AMZ. 2" x 15' for $23. Does that sound about right? Any other sources?

Erik France
05-09-2011, 3:57 PM
Any other ideas, keep them coming, but I think velcro should do the trick.
Velcro should do it.

I had a fish tank stand that had large removable panels held on with cleats and gravity.