PDA

View Full Version : Pecan. What's it good for?

Michael Weber
05-09-2011, 2:09 PM
Not planning any furniture or such but have a lead on quite a bit of Pecan wood. I believe it's a member of the hickory family so that probably means it pretty tough and hard? I think I've read it doesn't take stain well also. I'm planning on someday redoing the upstairs interior trim in my house and given the characteristics of Pecan would it be a decent material for that purpose? May be a reason I've yet to see any Pecan trim:rolleyes: As of yet I have not seen the wood but it's priced pretty low if the quality is good. I did a Creek search but suprisingly little info. Thanks

David Kumm
05-09-2011, 2:25 PM
Here in the North hickory is used alot. Pecan is often mixed in with the several types of hickory. Actually takes stain pretty well if you don't oversand. Used much for flooring and cabinets. I have hickory doors that I think are much prettier than oak. Finishes to a nice polish. Used to be really cheap but more in demand now. You need serious tools since it is harder and heavier than oak. I like it. Dave

Jim Summers
05-09-2011, 2:27 PM
Hi Michael,

Back in 70's I built a stereo cabinet out of pecan it was still in good shape until a couple of years ago when it was really splitting in some places. I ended up taking it apart and have used it to make some boxes for use in the shop and some other projects. Makes good runners for sleds and stuff. It machines well although as you have mentioned it is very hard. I felt like it took stain well. I think it would make very good baseboards and other molding. My parents house either had pecan/hickory molding I think. Definitely wasn't oak. But aside from the splitting after 30 or so years and then hardness of cutting I think it is a good wood.

HTH

Mike Henderson
05-09-2011, 3:08 PM
I've used pecan for furniture and it works well. Hardness is not a problem with power tools. It's in the hickory family and works similar to oak, in my opinion.

Mike

Chip Lindley
05-09-2011, 4:44 PM
REAL pecan is the uppity cousin of country hickory! Boards are often short if harvested from "orchard" trees. Pecan does not need stain as it is already a "nutty" brown color, all except the sapwood. It machines and finishes beautifully. If there is enough BF for your project don't overlook it! It's nice stuff!

Michael Weber
05-09-2011, 7:50 PM
Thanks a bunch for your Pecan experiences. I'll have to go look at it. I know it was not an orchard tree as I know where the tree was growing before being removed. We shall see. Price is around 2.75 bf.

Larry Fox
05-10-2011, 9:11 AM
I don't know about it for wwing but save your branches, offcuts, scraps etc if you have a smoker as it smells great and imparts a nice flavor.

Jim Rimmer
05-10-2011, 4:17 PM
Back in the late 60's I built a desk out of pecan and a few years ago I reworked it to correct a lot of minor design errors I made since I was young and inexperienced at the time. It is a beautiful wood and works well. At the two wood suppliers here the pecan and hickory are in the same bin. I've attached a photo of a hickory box I made (photo is not that good) and I'll try to remember to get a photo of the desk.

John Tallyn
05-10-2011, 9:44 PM
Save any scraps, pecan and hickory are great woods to smoke or bbq with!