PDA

View Full Version : OMGA radial arm saw?

Rick Potter
05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Looking at an OMGA radial arm saw. Not familiar with them, but they are very expensive, like $4,000 new. I see used ones from time to time on CL, but never met one.

Anyone know how good they are? The arm is aluminum, not cast iron on a DeWalt...how strong can that be? How do they compare to a DeWalt or Delta?

Rick Potter

Kent A Bathurst
05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Rick - FWIW....

In my previous life, the corporation I worked for had quite a few of them [dozen or two] at locations all around the country, some in "very frequent" operation, and some of them in pretty much constant use pretty 8 hours+ per day, 5 days per week. The very first one that was purchased would be about 13 years old now, for a re-org project I was closely involved in - I last saw it 3 years ago, running fine, at a "full-time-use" location. THey got it because of it's spot on the "price-performance" curve - remember, this is a production environment where they are tight with a buck, but also know not to waste money buying cheap goods.

I can check with the Ops manager and the Maint Manager at that plant on their current opinion and model #, etc. if that would be of help. They also have other RAS in operation [but I don't know those mfg/models].

Joe Angrisani
05-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I scored a $4000 single-phase Omga RN-450 off Craigslist a few months back for 10 cents on the dollar. I love it. There is next to none as far as deflection goes. All the controls are very solid with little slop. My 2hp single phase version has a motor brake that stops the blade in about two seconds.

Do a little googling and you'll see some details on the aluminum arm. All the Owner's Manuals are online at the company's US website. Very solid extrusion with internal raceways that guide eight rollers that locate the traveler (I think it was eight rollers). Anyway, the arm/roller design supports, centers and guides the sawhead very accurately.

I couldn't be more pleased.

In case you're curious, it's pronounced "OHM-gah", and it's a name, not an acronym. From the horse's mouth when I needed to order a lock handle from the US office. Which, by the way, was a great experience with FAST service and very good prices on the little pieces and parts.

Jeff Duncan
05-09-2011, 3:03 PM
I don't own an OMGA RAS but I do own a T350 chopsaw. How do they compare to Delta and DeWalt....they don't, those machines are a step down;)
My chopsaw weights just over 200lbs, and is cast iron. My guess is there's a good reason they use aluminum vs cast as they are not a company that sells on price.
They're more akin to a company like Martin, they're going to make the best product out there, and either you can afford it or you can't.

good luck,
JeffD

Chip Lindley
05-09-2011, 5:29 PM
I'm a Delta/Rockwell man, but I have never heard one bad word against the OMGA RAS! Longest cross-cut of any RAS's out there! I bet you will be very happy if you drag one home!

Rick Potter
05-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Got me sold, I'm looking. Sounds like the 450 would be great.

Rick

Larry Edgerton
05-10-2011, 7:39 AM
Rick

I had a 16" dewalt monster and sold it when I bought my OMGA. Don't worry about the aluminum, it is more ridgid than the cast iron, and the bearing setup is far superior. I have a 3 ph RN450 and it has been an awesome tool. No breakdowns under pretty heavy commercial use, well, up until the bottom dropped out. There are a couple of things that broke, plastic parts. The one on the top of the saw that holds the cord relief, and last month I snagged the plastic piece on the end of the arn that is decrative. Neither are necessary, but it is an annoyance. My own fault though.

I have used it to cut a ton of 2x material. I cut rafters with it, and make up all my headers in the shop with it, as well as useing it for cabinet work.

Larry