PDA

View Full Version : Alabaster Questions

Dick Wilson
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi all on this beautiful Monday morn,

For those of you who have turned Alabaster what do you put on it for a finish #1 and #2 - what do you sand down to - 1000 grit? Thanks.

Jim Burr
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
That's all I've done Dick...same with soapstone. If it's a utility item CA has worked well.

David E Keller
05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
I've only made pens with it, but I wet sanded to 600 then micro mesh to 12000. I used thin CA for a finish. Dusty stuff!

Dick Wilson
05-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I've only made pens with it, but I wet sanded to 600 then micro mesh to 12000. I used thin CA for a finish. Dusty stuff!

David, This is my first stab at turning Alabaster. I have seen it turned and knew how dusty it is, but my dust hood positioned very close to the back of the turning seems to work well. The alabaster is going to be epoxied to Walnut - can I glue it together and spray lacquer sealer and lacquer like I normally do?

David E Keller
05-09-2011, 12:32 PM
David, This is my first stab at turning Alabaster. I have seen it turned and knew how dusty it is, but my dust hood positioned very close to the back of the turning seems to work well. The alabaster is going to be epoxied to Walnut - can I glue it together and spray lacquer sealer and lacquer like I normally do?

I'll bet that works, but I've never tried to combine the stone with other materials... I guess I did glue it to a brass tube for the pens, and I didn't have any trouble.

Deane Allinson
05-09-2011, 9:12 PM
Keep us posted on your progress with it. I have a part broken column about 6" dia. and 8" long that I would like to turn someday. I have seen stone turned with a square Mortise in the ends, but no more info. Carbide might be best to cut. I have carved it before. Easy compared to marble. Dusty, I used to keep it wet when cutting. low tech, used a hand saw.
Deane

Tom Wilson66
05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I turned a pair of candlesticks for the dining room table a number of years ago, about 5 if I remember right. They are alabaster glue to cherry. The glue used was Weldwood and there is no indication of separation. In fact, I glued the alabaster to a waste block with Weldwood for turning. No problems at all. I have also heard of using diluted weldwood to soak the alabater before turning to help seal the cracks. I sanded the alabaster and wood to 400 and used linseed oil for the finish of the cherry and the alabaster. Turned out pretty well.