PDA

View Full Version : Wear resistant finish for cherry stair treads

Ken Masco
05-09-2011, 3:50 AM
Hi everyone,
My SO has asked me to replace twelve carpeted stair treads with Solid Cherry Treads (the carpet always looks dirty). I'm thinking cherry treads will look great for about two years then the wear will require refinishing. I am however hopeful that a few of you have a known finish that wears like steel but still shows off the cherry tread. Anyone got experience with this?

Scott Holmes
05-09-2011, 8:56 AM
I would suggest the new OIL Based Varathane Poly for floors. It has Aluminum Oxide (they call it nano tehnology) in it and it should wear like iron. I just did a pecan staircase with it. The flattening agent stays well mixed; their satin is not as flat as some others, but still looks great. I did 4 coats on the steps; scuff sanding with 320 between coats.

Mike Null
05-09-2011, 9:33 AM
I have a South American cherry, sometimes called tiger wood, floors. They have the mill applied finish with aluminum oxide and they are wearing like iron.

Ken Masco
05-09-2011, 3:16 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not aquainted with aluminum oxide. I'll check it out. I appreciate the responses

Scott Holmes
05-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Oil based Varathane Poly for floors that has Aluminum Oxide was at Lowes of all places, says AO right on the label. ~$38 per gallon.

Don't use the Water-borne it probably will not be as durable (IMHO). I have not checked it out yet, I will.

Rich Engelhardt
05-11-2011, 6:29 AM
I would suggest the new OIL Based Varathane Poly for floors. It has Aluminum Oxide (they call it nano tehnology) in it and it should wear like iron. I just did a pecan staircase with it. The flattening agent stays well mixed; their satin is not as flat as some others, but still looks great. I did 4 coats on the steps; scuff sanding with 320 between coats.

How is that material for odor?
I used some of the Zinsser oil poly on some doors & the stink was unbelievable.
I've had my snout into all sorts of heavy industrial epoxies and vinyls and bitumenous coatings over the years & that stuff is right up there w/them.

I have ~ 17 oak stair treads to put in & was going to use a water-poly floor finish on them just to avoid the stench.

I've had good results w/the water poly floor finish. The living room floor I did @ one of the rentals is still looking like new after three years. Only time will really tell though.

Brett Robson
05-11-2011, 9:34 AM
I recently finished my new oak floors with Varathane's oil based satin floor poly. I couldn't be more pleased. The stuff self-leveled very well, showed no overlap marks and didn't require constant stirring to keep the flattening agents in suspension.

The odor while curing was not offensive at all; the stain smelled far worse. I'd say 75% of the smell is gone in the first 24 hours and what remains dissipates to a level where it's barely noticeable pretty quickly.

I put down 4 coats with a lamb's wool applicator pad which made it fast and easy.

Quinn McCarthy
05-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I second what Scott said. Varathane floor finish is some tough stuff. Used it on a few projects.

Quinn

Ken Masco
05-12-2011, 9:13 PM
Great. That makes it easy. Thank you all.