PDA

View Full Version : rigid cordless combo tool set?

Stephen Sebed
05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
How good of quality are the rigid 18v lithium sets from home depot? and is there warranty really that good? They will replace any and all broken tools and batteries!

At work I currently use a dewalt xrp 18v set that utilizes nicad batteries. I'm pretty happy with how that set works but when drilling 5/8' holes through several thicknesses of 2 by's the batteries seem to wear down pretty quickly. (now that is professional use and to be honest the batteries are a few years old, my personal tools won't be subject to that amount of abuse!)

Really, I'm looking for a new set of cordless tools that will last more than a couple years. These will be used for diy projects not professional use. there may be times where they sit unused for a couple months. Will the Rigid tools hold up? (I have a feeling that sitting there for months isn't good for the batteries. Is this at all right?) Does the Rigid warranty really replace batteries for a lifetime? Should I look into another brand of tools?

thanks,
Stephen

Tom Matthews
05-09-2011, 7:59 AM
I believe the Rigid lifetime service agreement covers batteries. I have their 18v AutoShift LiOn drill/driver and have been pretty happy with it in my limited use. My only real complaint (and this probably comes from my other hobby of target shooting) is the trigger on the drill has quite a bit of travel before it actually starts to move the chuck. I'm not sure what purpose it would have so it just seems like sloppy design to me.

I don't use it a lot, so it sits in the toolbox most of the time. The batteries stay charged though (unlike the old Dewalt 14.4v drill I also use sometimes).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Andrew Joiner
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
If the Ridgid Authorized Service Center is close to you and they have batteries in stock it may be good deal for you. If you could go to HD and get a free replacement it would work for me.

Joseph Tarantino
05-09-2011, 1:21 PM
ridgid power tools all carry a 3 year warranty. original owners of power tools may register newly purchased tools with ridgid's lifetime service agreement (LSA). and yes, the LSA does cover batteries and brushes on corded power tools motors. it covers all parts and labor due to wear and tear for as long as the original owner owns the tool.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Power-Tool-Warranty

http://www.ridgid.com/Pneumatic/home.swf (click on the LSA logo, lower left)

Derrell W Sloan
05-09-2011, 2:04 PM
I got a 18v Ridgid tool kit a year or so ago when they had a super sale. I think I paid ~ 140 for a drill, impact driver, light, small sawzall. At first I wasn't thrilled with how quickly the batteries drained down. My dad had a similar issue with the same set he got. He took his batteries back to HD and they replaced them with no problem. I took my batteries back to HD as well after having the set for a few months. The also replaced my batteries. I was told that if the batteries need replacing within the first year you can swap them out at a HD store. After a year they have to go to a service center, but I think the service center will also want the charger to test it as well. The really interesting thing I found out was that the original batteries that came with my set were several years old. Part of the serial number indicates the date they were made. So the batteries were probably not so good from the get go. The new batteries are worlds better and hold a charge for a very long time and recharge quickly. Now that I have good batteries I really love the 18v set and would highly recommend it. Before the Ridgid set I had a DeWalt but I got tired of shelling out $70+ every time I needed new batteries.

John McClanahan
05-09-2011, 7:36 PM
I've had the urge to get one of the DeWalt small 12V drills. I really like the way it feels in my hand, but the Rigid lifetime warranty on the batteries may make me take a second look at Rigid.

John

Paul Wunder
05-09-2011, 7:49 PM
Stephen,

In general, there is a world of difference between Ni-cad batteries and the newer Lithium Ion. Ni-cads will lose its charge as it sits unused, Lithium-Ion will not (or at least not that you can notice). They charge more quickly than Ni-Cads. Ni-cads will hold a "set" meaning if charged improperly you may lose a portion of your power permanently. That is not the case with Lithium Ion; they do hold a "set".

Paul

johnny means
05-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I've been beating on the same 18v Rigid set (hammer drill, circular saw, jig saw, for 8 years now) for eight years now and they just won't die. And believe me I treat all my tools, the way I treat my hammer. All the rubber grippy parts are long gone, smoked twenty something batteries, including the lithium-ions, when those came out (Rigid is pretty good about reverse compatibility). They've been left in the rain, run over and any other job site abuse you could imagine. The drill in particular has gotten the worst of my wrath, it's spent days serving as a hammer drill poking 1/2" holes in concrete for hours on end, slow speed cut off tool in a pinch, even used the chuck to pull nails when a hammer wasn't around. I just wish it would die already ( been eyeing down that Festoy).

Well, anyway I think you can probably tell I'll vouch for Rigids durability. Though I always felt like there tools were a little heavier and less advanced than other professional grade brands. Sort of like buying a Crescent jointer instead of a Felder.

Andrew Joiner
05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
All the rubber grippy parts are long gone, smoked twenty something batteries, including the lithium-ions, when those came out

Well, anyway I think you can probably tell I'll vouch for Rigids durability.

Wow Johnny,that is durable! Did Ridgid or Home Depot replace the batteries for free?

Scott Kuykendall
05-10-2011, 7:40 AM
I bought a combo set and had one of the batteries go bad after 5 years and took it to a service center and they replaced it with no problems. The main thing is to register for the lifetime warranty (LSA) or they only cover three years.
Scott

Stephen Sebed
05-10-2011, 9:41 PM
Thanks for all the input! Sounds like I'll be looking for a set of rigid tools now. Anyone know a decent sale price I should look for on there 5 piece set? Looks like $499 is the regular price.

Scott Kuykendall
05-11-2011, 7:27 AM
They usually put the kits on sale right before fathers day.
Scott