PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 60 1/2 block plane query

Robert Rifkin
05-08-2011, 8:44 PM
Hi,

This is my first post to this group, and this question is probably a dumb one, so please bear with me. I just acquired a Stanley 60 1/2 block plane. I've cleaned up the sole, sharpened the blade and even generated a few shavings. But for the life of me I can't figure out how the blade depth adjustment works. When I rotate the knob at the back of the plane that is presumably for adjusting the blade depth, the threaded section either advances or retracts, and the "L" shaped piece that should be retracting the blade remains fixed. Somehow, the "L" section should be advancing or retracting and moving the blade with it, but the "L" is not moving. The threads on the blade adjuster and the "L" shaped piece are all fine. I must be missing something obvious in the way I reassembled the plane, but I can't figure it out.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

bob

Jim Koepke
05-08-2011, 9:22 PM
Robert,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile does not indicate your location.

Don't worry about the level of your question. At one time or another most of us have had problems that seemed just as daunting due to being new to these things.

If you are near south west Washington, it may be easier to show you in person than to try to explain.

It also may depend on when your #60-1/2 was made by Stanley.

As I recall, there are two level of threads on the adjuster and the slider has to be threaded before the assembly is mounted on the plane.

Also, it is common for the blade to not be properly engaged with the nubs on the slider.

When adjusting a block plane it is necessary to loosen the adjuster cap a bit while adjusting the blade depth.

I just looked in my block plane fettling thread and realize this is not covered.

If you do not get this sorted out soon, reply to this thread and I will try to write instructions with photos later tonight.

jtk

Mitch Barker
05-08-2011, 9:29 PM
A few things to look at:

If you remove the cap and blade, does the metal "rider" on the threaded shaft move in and out as you turn the knob?
Is the rider engaged in the slots on the blade?
Is the cap locked down too tight?

Robert Rifkin
05-08-2011, 9:43 PM
Mitch and Jim:

With the cap and blade removed, the slider remains fixed as the threaded shaft moves in and out. The threaded shaft is "catching" the threads on both the slider and the plane body, but both remain fixed as the threaded shaft goes in and out. Something should be forcing the rider to move up and down too, but I'm having trouble seeing what that something should be. This is what has me stumped.

Thanks for your efforts.

Bob

Robert Rifkin
05-08-2011, 9:54 PM
Ah,
I believe I have figured out the problem. The threaded hole on the plane body is larger than the threaded rod, and so the rod sometimes slips instead of advancing or retracting when it is turned. Did Stanley make these threaded rods with different diameter shafts over the years? I just purchased the plane on ebay, and I wonder if the seller replaced a missing adjusting rod with one with a smaller thread diameter?

Thanks.

bob

Jim Koepke
05-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Did Stanley make these threaded rods with different diameter shafts over the years? I just purchased the plane on ebay, and I wonder if the seller replaced a missing adjusting rod with one with a smaller thread diameter?

You may be experiencing one of the common problems with this type of adjuster. People try to adjust them without loosening the cap. This can distort the threads.

You might contact the seller if they did not mention the problem and request a refund or adjustment.

I will check later or tomorrow to see if there are different sizes on the planes of this type that I own.

jtk

jtk

Bill Houghton
05-09-2011, 12:29 AM
You may find this helpful, once you diagnose the problem: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/12060usa.html There used to be, and may still be, a parts goddess who can help you figure out whether the available parts will fit your plane: Lori Goucher, 800-262-2161 ex 55839; e-mail possibly lgoucher@stanleyworks.com

Johnny Kleso
05-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Is the brass adjusting wheel stripped out?
Are you seating the tang on the L into the correct slot on the underside of the blade?
Or is the blade so short your out of adjustment?

Jim Koepke
05-09-2011, 4:43 PM
The threaded hole on the plane body is larger than the threaded rod, and so the rod sometimes slips instead of advancing or retracting when it is turned. Did Stanley make these threaded rods with different diameter shafts over the years? I just purchased the plane on ebay, and I wonder if the seller replaced a missing adjusting rod with one with a smaller thread diameter?

Bob,

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this.

It turns out that Stanley did use different threads on these at different times. From your description it sounds like you may have an earlier two thread adjuster and a later single thread body.

If you can post some pictures of the plane body with the blade and cap iron removed it may help to determine this.

There are also some pictures that may help in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?123401-Fettle-to-the-Metal-With-LA-Blocks&p=1246005

There is not an example of the early #60-1/2 in this group. Another member posted one later in the thread. Of the three #60-1/2 style planes notice that the two on the outside have similar adjuster set ups.

The main difference in the castings on these is the size of the blade bedding at the mouth. I am not sure if some of the small bedding planes had the two step adjusters or if the adjusters and the castings were changed at the same time.

Here is a picture of the adjusters from my planes:

It seems all the threads are 28 tpi Which does not make a lot of sense, I think there is a very slight difference between the threads on the two step adjuster. Maybe someone who understands threads and machining can explain how this type adjuster works.

You may have a case of the wrong adjuster.

jtk

Robert Rifkin
05-15-2011, 1:16 PM
I queried Stanley as to whether their new threaded blade depth adjuster might work on an older plane. They sent me the new adjuster for free. While this adjuster is a little longer than the original (at least the original that was on the plane when I bought it) the narrower threaded region is now being gripped by the threaded hole on the plane body, and the blade height is now being adjusted properly. So, it appears that the threads on the original adjuster must have been partially stripped - enough to make them slip.

Thanks for everyone's help on this problem.

I must positively acknowledge Stanley's customer service in this forum.

bob

Jim Koepke
05-15-2011, 1:25 PM
Glad to hear it worked.

I am still curious as the the base of your plane and wondering if it was a mismatch of parts to start.

jtk

Robert Rifkin
05-15-2011, 3:47 PM
Glad to hear it worked.

I am still curious as the the base of your plane and wondering if it was a mismatch of parts to start.

jtk
Jim,
I suspect the correct threaded adjuster was always on the plane - but the threads were a bit bunged up. The new adjuster appears to have identical threads, but they don't look "squashed". The actual difference is just a few thousandths of an inch, but I guess that is enough. I suspect the plane body's threads are also a little "expanded", but not enough for the newer adjuster to slip.

bob