PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was a good day

jared herbert
05-08-2011, 8:35 PM
My son and I went turkey hunting yesterday. First time for me and second time for my son. we spent several hours tramping up and down the loess hill of western Iowa and my son finally bagged this one. He was pumped about it for sure. We called him in and as luck would have it it ended up right in front of my son. He has been wanting to get a turkey for a long time and finally got one. The unfortunate thing was that a lot of his tail feathers were missing so he cant make a fan of them to mount on the wall but we will get that next time. He really got to me when he later said that I was with him when he got his first pheasant, his first deer and now his first turkey. I wonder why so many parents miss out on these things, not that you have to go shoot something together but just be able to get along and do things together. And he did mention to me that since he is out of college and has a job and more free time that he wants me to teach him some wood working skills. I was happy about that, glad to do it. Just had to share this with somebody. Jared

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2011, 9:15 PM
Congratulations Jared! Fishing, hunting, what ever......time with your children is important.

anthony wall
05-08-2011, 9:17 PM
sounds like your a lucky father who has a great relationship with your son ,hope your hunting trips together continue for many years to come and that you can spend many pleasant shop hours together

Mike Cruz
05-09-2011, 6:32 PM
Well, it was a good day for two out of the three of you...

Congrats on a great day with your son.

Phil Thien
05-09-2011, 10:22 PM
How does the taste of wild turkey differ from store-bought (if at all)?

And I'm not talking about the bourbon.

Lee Schierer
05-10-2011, 7:58 AM
Congratulations on the successful hunt. He'll remember that turkey for a long time.

The joy in a young persons eyes and face when they get their first game is truly priceless. That's one of the reasons why my dog and I go on the Youth pheasant hunts our local PF chapter puts on each fall. It is great to see the kids out having a good time with their parents. Of course having a pointer is like having a kid magnet when you are hunting, they all want to get close to the dog when he goes on point because they know there is a bird there.