PDA

View Full Version : Fire Piston Prototype

Nate Davey
05-08-2011, 7:15 PM
I've wanted to try an fire piston for some time, so while waiting on some roughed out hollow forms to dry, thought this would be a good time. For those of you not familiar with a fire piston, it works on the same principle as a diesel engine. Use compression to start a fire. The fire piston itself is several hundred years old and, obviously, predates matches. The original piston were made entirely of wood. I opted for brass pipe and an aluminum piston. It works, but I need to make some char clothe to get a good ember. Dryer lint smelled burnt, but no ember. In my minds eye I designed it to be screwed shut when not in use, but he O-ring, doing it's job, holds the air in the bottom so it wont close the whole way. Walnut and brass, sanded to 300 starting to put on oil coats. Still need to sort out the brass end but wanted to see if it is doable. Additionally, I wanted to us a brass cap, but the borg didn't have the right sized cap so had to opt for an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and 1/4 plug. Candid criticism and advice greatly appreciated.

Jim Burr
05-08-2011, 7:45 PM
This one begs the question...why make that?? Don't get me wrong...I think it's cool! Camping or survival applications I'm guessing which are right up my alley. Are the plans floating around the 'net some where?

Nate Davey
05-08-2011, 7:55 PM
Jim, several guys at work wanted one and I did as well. Plus, these things go for about $80+ on some of the sites a looked at. For plans I watched YouTube and Instructables had the basic plan I used.

Lee Koepke
05-08-2011, 8:01 PM
well, thats certainly is unique!

hard to criticize that, if you figure out the char cloth .... you've created a useful tool.

Tim Thiebaut
05-08-2011, 8:12 PM
Very cool, I started one a few months ago out of cocobolo, and ended up having problems getting it to seal and havnt got back to working on it yet, a lot of the bushcraft sites I visit are really into things like fire pistons and firesteels...thats one reason I turn so many custom firesteel handles. My biggest problem was turning the groove for the O-ring, I couldnt get a good groove cut into it for the o-ring to seat right. Glad you had good lucking getting this to work. I made some char-cloth last month on my grill off the back deck works great with the firesteels, have you made it before? Very easy if you havnt...Tim

Nate Davey
05-08-2011, 8:16 PM
I haven't made any yet Tim, but will next time I fire up my grill. I actually used some of my dive gear orings, but you're right it's tough and frustrating to get the fit right

mickey cassiba
05-08-2011, 8:18 PM
I think that would be a practical addition to one's emergency kit. Yours has the added value of being home made. A link to a plan, or a more detailed explanation of the build would be appreciated...by me, at least.
Mick

Jack Mincey
05-08-2011, 9:13 PM
Looks like a great project. The char clothe is easy to make. I use and old metal paint can that has a small nail hole in the top. I put squares of Cotton or old flanel clothe in it and lay it in a fire with the nail hole aiming out of the fire. When gas slows or stop coming out of the nail hole I plug it with a wooden peg and set it out to cool. Never used a fire piston, but usually start my camp fires with a flint and steel just for kicks.
Good Luck,
Jack