PDA

View Full Version : Blue Pearl 14" Maple Crotch

Bob Bergstrom
05-08-2011, 6:28 PM
Really a strange crotch. One side is so plane and the other swirled, so the inside is clear and the outside is layered Pearl Ex powders applied over a matt black finish. I first sprayed the outside surface with flat black paint. The black brings out the pearl colors better. Next I used a water color brush to apply blue and violent powders. Using saran wrap I stamped additional dichromic powders. Last was a stamping of Macro Pearl White followed by multiply coats of clear lacquer. Sanded that back and a last coat with my detail spray gun.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_4445.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_4447.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_4452.jpg

Don Alexander
05-08-2011, 6:44 PM
gotta say that you do a great job with your layered finishes personally i prefer the wood inside but that is just my preference
and not a comment on the quality of your work or this piece

its a keeper for sure

Gary Max
05-08-2011, 6:51 PM
Another vote for---Gee the wood looks awesome.

John Keeton
05-08-2011, 7:32 PM
Bob, personal tastes aside ('cause those will vary widely) you do a flat out awesome job on these various finishes!! They are beautiful. Very nice work on this one. Yes, the crotch figure is striking, and I might have reserved the paint work for a more drab piece of wood (you usually do), this is your art, and you have done well with it. Folks will see the inside more than the outside anyway, so this works - and works well.

Jim Burr
05-08-2011, 7:42 PM
That's a ton of effort Bob!! I use Pearl-Ex for casting pen blanks...you sure have found a great other use. It should get quite a few "Well Done's"...like mine, for example!!!

Cathy Schaewe
05-08-2011, 9:13 PM
Wow. Is there any way you could post a pic that shows a little of the outside with the inside? I'd like to see the contrast. I really like the blue, and would like to see the combination -

Steve Vaughan
05-08-2011, 9:35 PM
That's a really neat looking bowl! I love the color, love the wood grain on the inside too! Question - where do you get these colors you're talking about? What's the name of 'em?

Kathy Marshall
05-08-2011, 9:38 PM
Very Cool! Great job!

David E Keller
05-08-2011, 9:55 PM
Cool work, Bob... Sounds like this was the perfect piece of wood for this treatment. I like the pearlescent quality, and I'd love to see it with a really deep, dark base color sometime. Great job on this one.

Donny Lawson
05-08-2011, 9:56 PM
I think that's an awsome job on the paint scheme.The bowl looks great.

Bob Bergstrom
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm using a mica powder called Pearl Ex Powders. They are very similar to what women use for eye shadow. if you go to youtube you will find a lot of women using them for scrap booking and card making. Many are either reflective or dichromic in nature. In other words they change color with variance in light. What is really good about them is you can mix them with about anything (kind of like universal dyes. I've used them dry, sprayed in an airbrush, oil, wax, lacquer,and super glue. I now mix them with wax to sign my name on the bottom of bowls like Cindy Drozda. They come in over 30 colors. I buy them from Blicks Art Supply on line.

Baxter Smith
05-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Excellent work on this one!

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Beautiful Bob. I do like the blue and natural wood. Really well done.

Curt Fuller
05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
If I couldn't see the inside view with the natural and the blue wood together I would have a hard time believing the blue outside surface is even wood. That really makes for an interesting bowl.

David Reed
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
this is an exquisite display blending this wonderful opalescent color and contrasting it with the lovely twin grain patterns inside. This is truly a 'knock your socks off' kinda piece

IMHO

Eric Gourieux
05-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Nice job, Bob. I've never seen bowl painting like this before. You obviously have the eye and talent. The interior of the bowl is amazing.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Now that is some color! Nice effect with the different color layers! Also - great idea to leave the interior natural! Love the contrast!