PDA

View Full Version : Additions to the shop

David Nelson1
05-08-2011, 1:42 PM
Been scrounging here and there and finally got what I think I need to round my shop out for now. Now I just need a week to figure out where its all going to fit.

Wood-master 612, I bought this tool last year before I did any snooping on it. Found out to my horror that Wood-master no long supports this model and parts/ accessories are tough to find. I was lucky and found a fellow in CA that was willing to part with most everything he had except the sanding drum. 200.00 later and 50 dollars freight. I'm the proud owner of gang rip attachment as well as extra molding tooling and shafts.

I wanted to up grade my Delta RC 33 with a spiral cutter. I found instead, a G1033 already converted and better yet somewhat local. Cost was the same as the conversion part minus the labor. When I went to pick up the planer, a clamp rack just smacked me in the face and solved my clamping and major and glue up headaches. Since I have no large clamps of any stature this was right on time. Hats off to Bill Sams for a really sweet deal on everything.

Trolling Ebay, Craigslist, and other providers I was looking for a good deal on a feeder for the Jet shaper. Its the smallest one and has not room for the feeder unless you do some modifications. I was going to take the extra leaf from the table saw and add it to the shaper. I figured it would tip over if you moved the shaper away from the front of the machine. I was thinking sandbags or lead shot would help, but then I found this Chen Sheng shaper with 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch spindles with a feeder and extra profiles. This manufacture worried me till I found a distributor here in the US. They re-badge it as a Northtech piece. 800.00 for everything. Now I just gotta get to work

Mike Cruz
06-03-2011, 7:48 AM
Wow, sorry I missed this thread! That is ONE HECK OF A GLOAT, David!!!!!!! I'm SO envious. You done gooooooood.

Marty Paulus
06-03-2011, 7:54 AM
Wow I am sorry I missed it as well. Great job David. I also see your garage/shop is as organized as mine is currently. I hate when I have to dig to find or use something. I have a major re-org coming soon. I just need to get a few more things done... now where did I put that roundtoit?

david brum
06-03-2011, 9:00 AM
Well done and you definitely suck.

David Nelson1
06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Marty, it is what it is for right now. Working in that mess is tough and spuratic at best, since most of the stuff has to be wheeled out the door to gain some room I'm very weather dependant. I'm in the process of building a work/cabinet bench. The idea came from a shop notes design that I scaled back a bit using sketchup. The design can be reviewed from this link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164367-Work-Bench-Cabinet-Sketchup

A very kind gentlemen pointed out quite a few mistakes which I have since corrected. He also gave me quite a few tips on how to work smarter using sketchup. Very handy tool and there certainly is a learning curve to it as well. The roundtoit is right next to the tape measure or the 27 # 2 pencils! Thanks for looking !

David Nelson1
06-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow, sorry I missed this thread! That is ONE HECK OF A GLOAT, David!!!!!!! I'm SO envious. You done gooooooood.

I'm pretty happy with the stuff and relieved that I could find the woodmaster tooling for a reasonable price. Cutting a whole in the top and adding dust collection is priority one on that tool.

David Nelson1
06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Well done and you definitely suck.

The timing was perfect on all of the purchases. The tool gods finally let me win for once, but it took close to a year. LOL

Marty Paulus
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
David, The weather is my biggest hang up right now. I have so many other things that need to be done right now and some can only be done in nice weather (Waxing the boat doesn't work well in the rain!). I am constantly moving this or that for room to work on something. I try to make sure I put things back where they belong when I am done but that doesn't always work. My favorite is that I have three projects working and something comes up that has to be done now. That involves cleaning up what I have out and starting over and hope to finish the 'hot' project so I can get back to the others.

I also love sketch up. I have access to some very high end CAD at work but still like to use sketch up for my home projects. It allows me to think through each operation before I have to set up a machine or dig out a tool. I actually design my joints within sketch up so I can think through the operation. Many people don't get into that level of detail but I find it really helps me.

David Nelson1
06-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I added joinery on this project also, which BTW is my first sketchup attempt. I didn't see any reason not to since I was going to the trouble of detailing may as well go the whole way.

David Nelson1
06-05-2011, 4:44 PM
Went trough all the checks/adjustments today on the new to me planer. Everything looked good!! Had to change the plug since the hardware store near me didn't have a L6 30 amp receptacle. I was amazed @ how quite it is, as well as uniformity of the chips. Now to get a 5 - 4 inch adapter for the collector.

Mike Cruz
06-05-2011, 8:10 PM
Two things, David. One, you'll be amazed at how noisy it will get when you add the dust collection! The air passing through the blades is deafen...Oh, what you have the Byrd head...never mind. Secondly, this one is serious...you'll want all the dust collection you can get. I with that had a 6" port. Even with the 5" port and my DC being litterally right next to the planer with a 6" pipe right to it, I don't collect all the shavings. If you can, bring 5 or 6 inch pipe to the planer.

David Nelson1
06-05-2011, 8:55 PM
My old planer was just like you mentioned turn the collector on and man it was loud!!!!!. I'll see what I can do about the large hose. Thanks for the tip.