PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking 1st project

Josh Bowman
05-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Well I built a follow rest for my new HF lathe with my new HF mill (stealth gloat!!). I'm kind of a tinker/woodworker/woodturner. So I think the new stuff is a good match. Buying the tooling is not as painful as the shipping! This stuff is heavy, unlike woodworking stuff. Anyway, my 7x12 lathe did not come with a follow rest, so I borrowed one from a friend and copied it. It's not got a great finish, but I think it will work well. I managed to ruin a mill bit learning (ya know....those 1-2-3 blocks are hard:eek:) and as hard as I tired, sharpening them, I don't think you can in a home shop economically, I guess. My 1st experience with the mill and lathe have been very positive. For woodworkers, think router for mill and the lathe is just a very controlled wood lathe, seems to be much more friendly concerning tool control. Both take a lot of thinking when it comes to holding the piece down, when you deal in mils, the piece can't move. So figure vises and good chucks into the price when starting out. Well I've already said more about metal work, than I really know. So any comments on the follow rest will be appreciated. Thanks

Bruce Page
05-08-2011, 11:41 AM
It looks good Josh. What is the thickness and size?
And yeah, those 1-2-3 blocks are tough!

ray hampton
05-08-2011, 12:35 PM
well done, time for a rest