PDA

View Full Version : Carved Elm Form

Johnny Taylor
05-08-2011, 7:32 AM
This was a nice little project for an unhurried Saturday The vessel was turned to about 5mm thickness as I wanted the finished piece to be nice and light in the hand, it was then marked out and carved, hand sanded, the top textured and coloured with acrylics and the main body oiled to bring out the best in the Elm. Its 5" tall.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/carvedform004a.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/carvedform005.jpg

All comments and critiques welcomed.

Dennis Ford
05-08-2011, 7:47 AM
It is a beautiful piece, the carving, texturing and coloring take it to a whole new level.
Are you saying that this was all done in one day? That is amazing.

John Keeton
05-08-2011, 8:44 AM
Johnny, that is a wonderfully done piece!! The collar really adds a lot of flair. I like this one a lot. Someday, I will try one of these spiral fluted pieces - just need to do some research on the technique of laying out the spirals - and, of course, acquire the skills!!!

David Reed
05-08-2011, 9:19 AM
This is indeed spectacular. The spiral is very nicely done but the collar is really special. I very much like the metallic feel it has, or at least in the photos.

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2011, 9:50 AM
That is a beauty. The spirals and texturing really set the piece off as does the form.

David E Keller
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
The flutes are fantastic, and that elm has great color. For me, the collar area is a bit 'heavy' for the overall look and imagined feel of the piece. I love your work, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Donny Lawson
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM
That's an Awsome piece. Love the carving work and great detail work.

Curt Fuller
05-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Very cool idea and execution!

Baxter Smith
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Very neat in all regards. I can see it takes a whole lot of skills I have no clue about!

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2011, 7:44 AM
Johnny - very nice work! I especially like that the flutes are tapered and varied in width! They give a much softer look than those that look mechanically produced. I'm not 100% about the acrylic enhanced top as it does seem to add a lot of weight to the piece and seems in direct conflict with the light look that the natural color of the wood provides. Probably just takes a little time to get used too...

Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Tim Rinehart
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Johnny,
I like it all. The carving and finish on the lower portions is very nice, and as mentioned, lacking any 'mechanical' coldness. The textured ring I like...kinda reminds me of the little cabochons used for potpourri dishes. Quite nice...I like it overall. Well done.

George Guadiane
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
What an elegant combination of elements!

Gordon Vizecky
05-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Really like the spirals on this piece!

jwjerry w kowalski
05-09-2011, 5:14 PM
Man that's a beautiful piece, I can't imagine the work involved, let alone the skill level it would take to make a piece like this. Great Job 1

Johnny Taylor
05-10-2011, 2:38 AM
Thanks for all the comments and feedback. These pieces are not all that difficult to do, the worst bit is all the marking out! Maybe with hindsight the collar could have been a little less wide than it is, perhaps 3/8" wide just around the opening but theres lots of wood out there and plenty of time to do more of these(I hope)!! lol

John Hart
05-10-2011, 6:39 AM
I love it. It's the kind of piece that your guests want to fondle. Cool!!